Author Topic: Share your skills and creativity!  (Read 3821 times)

chris-play

Share your skills and creativity!
« on: November 21, 2007, 09:47:13 pm »
Now that we know what an endowment scholarship is, it is time to start thinking how to collect the necessary funds to start it.
If you have any fund raising skills, and even if you do not have skills but have ideas, share them with us. We need to find as many ways as possible to raise money for the endowment.
Everyone can do something in their own circle (family, friends, work, school, church, etc.) and we can also join efforts and establish groups. Remember that the scholarship will help students who are in financial difficulties, and that it can be promoted virtually everywhere as a charitable effort!  Thumbs Up
Let's start thinking about it ...  banana dance

Elcondado

• Founding Backup #603, Cathy
Re: Share your skills and creativity!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 09:09:51 am »
I have found a few books on fundraising for non-profits that might give us some good info to get started....there are many more, but this is a start:

How to Write Fundraising Materials That Raise More Money: The Art, the Science, the Secrets - Tom Ahern; Paperback

The Zen of Fundraising: 89 Timeless Ideas to Strengthen and Develop Your Donor Relationships - Ken Burnett; Paperback

The Mercifully Brief, Real World Guide to Raising Thousands (If Not Tens of Thousands) of Dollars With Email - Madeline Stanionis; Paperback

I'm willing to get one or two of them...does anyone else have an interest in buying a How To book?  if so, maybe we can pass them around so we can all develop our skills... Dunno  Just a thought, as I haven't done any fundraising before, and feel I need some tools, but perhaps some of you already have some of this knowledge that you can pass on, and don't feel we will need any of these books.....ideas and suggestions welcome....

chris-play

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 05:23:35 pm »
I have found a few books on fundraising for non-profits that might give us some good info to get started....there are many more, but this is a start:

How to Write Fundraising Materials That Raise More Money: The Art, the Science, the Secrets - Tom Ahern; Paperback

The Zen of Fundraising: 89 Timeless Ideas to Strengthen and Develop Your Donor Relationships - Ken Burnett; Paperback

The Mercifully Brief, Real World Guide to Raising Thousands (If Not Tens of Thousands) of Dollars With Email - Madeline Stanionis; Paperback

I'm willing to get one or two of them...does anyone else have an interest in buying a How To book?  if so, maybe we can pass them around so we can all develop our skills... Dunno  Just a thought, as I haven't done any fundraising before, and feel I need some tools, but perhaps some of you already have some of this knowledge that you can pass on, and don't feel we will need any of these books.....ideas and suggestions welcome....

That's a good idea Cathy! I was thinking, before spending money to buy the books, to see if a public library has them and skim them through to see which one is actually useful ... do you have the possibility to do it? If not, anyone else has the chance to check them out? May be also going to a Barnes & Nobles .... just an idea!  Thumbs Up

sueintucson

• Founding Backup #676
  • intelligent, diplomatic, inquisitve, serene
    • Melinda Doolittle Backup
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 02:11:08 am »
My library has all of them & many, many more.  What info are you most interested in?  I can have them sent to my local branch & can speedread for content, if you let me know what's most important!
Sue

www.myspace.com/sueintucson

Stand often in the company of dreamers:
  they tickle your common sense & believe you can achieve
  things which are impossible.
          maryanne radmacher

Elcondado

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 07:02:41 am »
My library has all of them & many, many more.  What info are you most interested in?  I can have them sent to my local branch & can speedread for content, if you let me know what's most important!

Thanks for the offer Sue...I would just be looking for anything that will help make the fundraising work, as I have not done anything like this before...so ideas of how to write a successful solicitation letter, ideas of where to look for donations, and how to use the internet to fundraise...really anything you think would help us in the endeavor....hope that answers your question...and again, thanks for the offer...if you find one or more books that is just full of good info, let me know and I will buy it so I can educate myself... Thanks

sueintucson

• Founding Backup #676
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 11:27:19 pm »
Cathy, I ordered those, as well as Fundraising for Dummies & a book about endowments.  How soon they will arrive will depend on which branch they have to come from.  And then I will dive into them.

Am I correct in assuming that we get people to donate funds to Belmont U [the 501(c)(3) org--so that people can get deductions] for Melinda's endowment fund, & then Belmont administers the endowment & scholarship??  What kind of help does Belmont offer?

« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 12:36:54 am by sueintucson »
Sue

maryanne radmacher

Elcondado

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 04:16:50 am »
Cathy, I ordered those, as well as Fundraising for Dummies & a book about endowments.  How soon they will arrive will depend on which branch they have to come from.  And then I will dive into them.

Am I correct in assuming that we get people to donate funds to Belmont U [the 501(c)(3) org--so that people can get deductions] for Melinda's endowment fund, & then Belmont administers the endowment & scholarship??  What kind of help does Belmont offer?

Thanks Sue for scoping out the books...Yes people will donate directly to Belmont. and the donations are tax deductible, and Belmont administers the endowment fund and scholarship.  I will have to defer to Cris regarding the help offered by Belmont......

sueintucson

• Founding Backup #676
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 04:47:18 am »
Cathy,

I got the books today & read them tonight.  I would recommend "Fundraising for Dummies, 2nd ed," by John Mutz & Katherine Murray (2006).  It gives the best overview of all the areas of fundraising.

"The Mercifully Brief Real World Guide to Raising Thousands (if Not Tens of Thousands) of Dollars with Email" is really aimed at groups with causes (ex-Humane Society, Heifer Int'l) who already have established websites & campaigns.  It's just a totally different focus than establishing a scholarship.

"How to Write Fundraising Materials That Raise More Money" is a strange book & appears aimed at agencies like mental health centers & child poverty groups.  He doesn't lay out his points clearly; you have to wade through a lot of verbage.

"The Zen of Fundraising" is focused only on developing relationships with donors.  It is subtitled "89 timeless ideas to strengthen & develop your donor relationships," which, while an important part, is only a part of the big picture.  He admits that is his sole interest in fundraising.

If you want me to summarize a few key facts from each of the last 3 books tomorrow, I will be happy to do so.

I hope this helps!
Sue

maryanne radmacher

Elcondado

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 05:01:03 am »
Cathy,

I got the books today & read them tonight.  I would recommend "Fundraising for Dummies, 2nd ed," by John Mutz & Katherine Murray (2006).  It gives the best overview of all the areas of fundraising.

"The Mercifully Brief Real World Guide to Raising Thousands (if Not Tens of Thousands) of Dollars with Email" is really aimed at groups with causes (ex-Humane Society, Heifer Int'l) who already have established websites & campaigns.  It's just a totally different focus than establishing a scholarship.

"How to Write Fundraising Materials That Raise More Money" is a strange book & appears aimed at agencies like mental health centers & child poverty groups.  He doesn't lay out his points clearly; you have to wade through a lot of verbage.

"The Zen of Fundraising" is focused only on developing relationships with donors.  It is subtitled "89 timeless ideas to strengthen & develop your donor relationships," which, while an important part, is only a part of the big picture.  He admits that is his sole interest in fundraising.

If you want me to summarize a few key facts from each of the last 3 books tomorrow, I will be happy to do so 

I hope this helps!

Gosh Sue, that is amazingly helpful.  Thank you so much for your help.  I will order the Dummies book, and forget the others.  No need to summarize, I'll just go with what you think would be most helpful.  Again, thank you so much... Thanks Thanks Thanks  You rock.  Rock On sign
Cathy

chris-play

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 04:45:15 pm »
Sue and Cathy! Thank you so much for taking care of this.  Thumbs Up
We will need to develop those skills as a group and be abale to reach ot to as many people as possible.  Super excited
I have an idea. Cathy and Sue, why don't you start a thread on this board titled Fundraising for "Dummies" (ors omething like that) and start posting ideas for fundraising suggested in that book? This would be helpful for the other members interested in being part of the project. They may find ideas to develop ... what do you think?

sueintucson

• Founding Backup #676
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 09:16:31 pm »
Two of my friends are supporting their favorite nonprofit by offering a matching grant.  They match any donation to that nonprofit over $50 during its December campaign.  This encourages people able to give smaller donations to up them to $50 so they qualify for the matching grant.

We might be able to find a donor (or more) in the middle range who would consider setting up a matching grant.
Sue

maryanne radmacher

hilarious