Author Topic: General Instructions about Video and Audio  (Read 5166 times)

Alan

• Founding Backup #372
  • cool, steely master technophile.
    • Chandler's Zen
General Instructions about Video and Audio
« on: November 21, 2007, 02:57:07 pm »
Much of the content in this section is links to video and audio content. DO NOT JUST CLICK ON THE LINK as you will get video and audio completely out of sync.  You will need to RIGHT CLICK and then choose Save Target As (Internet Explorer) or Save Link As (Firefox) to download the file to your PC.  You can then play it from there.

Many video files are in AVI format.  It is likely that Windows Media Player will not play them properly.  We recommend that you go to  http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ and download the free video player.  Choose he version for your particular machine (windows Mac linux, whatever).

Use these links to get a list of possible files to download

Video

http://melindasbackups.com/media_store/video

Audio - mp3 (for portable players)

http://melindasbackups.com/media_store/mp3

Audio - wav (for burning CDs)

http://melindasbackups.com/media_store/wav

Babz

Re: General Instructions about Video and Audio
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 03:12:36 pm »
Alan, you are THE man! I thought it was my computer and have been listening to all the videos as audio thus far. Thanks!!!  Rock On sign

rhonda

• Founding Backup #488
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 01:04:05 am »
Okay Brit, you know how much I hate this stuff.  If I download  http://www.videolan.org/vlc/    . . .  does it matter where I save it?  Under "my music", "my video", etc    Dunno   I downloaded Christmas at Belmont but only got audio since I have Windows Media Player.  So should I save this link under "my video" ?

Alan

• Founding Backup #372
    • Chandler's Zen
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 03:19:54 pm »
Okay Brit, you know how much I hate this stuff.  If I download  http://www.videolan.org/vlc/    . . .  does it matter where I save it?  Under "my music", "my video", etc    Dunno   I downloaded Christmas at Belmont but only got audio since I have Windows Media Player.  So should I save this link under "my video" ?

I think if you download it, just copy it to your desktop.  It will be a .exe file which when you run it will install the video player somewhere in "Program Files"  (under VideoLan/VLC).  It will also leave short cuts in your menu and on the desktop.  Once you have installed it you can copy the .exe to the recycle bin.

The video files, I would download into "My Videos" and just play them as files from there.

Jena

• happy bibliophile, and "crazy" cat lady
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 04:25:28 am »
Alan, YOU ROCK!  Rock On sign Thumbs Up Dancing Banana I just discovered the .wav files.  I thought the only way I could ever hear these performances is to watch them on youtube.  You have no idea how happy I am right now!  Thanks for putting them up here.  One question--If I download the songs one time, can I only burn one CD?  I want my cousin to have one, because he doesn't have a computer, but I'm not about to give up MY Melinda CD!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 07:52:18 am by Jena »

Alan

• Founding Backup #372
    • Chandler's Zen
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 08:08:19 am »
Alan, YOU ROCK!  (rock on sign)  (thumbs up)  (dancing banana)
    I just discovered the .wav files.  I thought the only way I could ever hear these performances is to watch them on youtube.  You have no idea how happy I am right now!  Thanks for putting them up here.  One question--If I download the songs one time, can I only burn one CD?  I want my cousin to have one, because he doesn't have a computer, but I'm not about to give up MY Melinda CD!

It turns out that these days the software lets you burn CDs from the mp3 files too - so wav files are not strictly necessary.  There are more performances in the mp3 section than in the wav section

Download the files, and then blow as many CDs as you want.  They stay on your hard drive, so feel free to make lots and give them away to the whole community.

Vickster

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 01:50:37 am »
Alan, the video link is broken, "Authorization Required", is what I get.  Doesn't even give me the option of entering user name and password....

Alan

• Founding Backup #372
    • Chandler's Zen
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 07:11:32 am »
Alan, the video link is broken, "Authorization Required", is what I get.  Doesn't even give me the option of entering user name and password....

I added an authorization requirement after I noticed other sites were referencing our videos without and recognition that they were ours.  In other words they are stealing them.

It seems, although I don't know why, you cannot access a video directly, However if you enter the URL http://www.melindasbackups.com/media_store/video you will be prompted for username (use Melinda - with capital M) password (backup) and you will get a full list of all our videos.  You can then click on the one you want.

Vickster

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 02:48:20 pm »
Ok, understand now.  Thanks, Alan.

angel4peace

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 09:34:55 pm »
Alan, to be able to use VLan  to open Ellies run, I had to download it again. Now, it is working and I saw the video's.

However, everything that I have in WPM is going to Vlan, is there a way to set up the downloads so that you get to chose which program opens the file.

There are some I like to listen to in WPM, meditation music for example, then I can use the different color programs in WMP to watch.

Now everything had converted to being opened in VLan, it seems like there must be a way to set up the programs so they do not take over everything.

Thanks you for your help!

Alan

• Founding Backup #372
    • Chandler's Zen
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 11:27:02 pm »
Windows is driven by the three letter extension on the filename.  You can set each one to start a specific program.

I can't remember how exactly to do it in windows but you might be able to do it by right clicking on a file and calling properties.

Richard

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 12:08:10 pm »
I tried downloading the vlc player..it said it was downloaded,and when i click on run,nothing happens...I searched my cpu for it,and can't find it anywhere... Dunno

rhonda

• Founding Backup #488
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 12:20:20 pm »
A warm welcome to you Rich . . .

I use WMP and I also had to download VLC . .  I didn't have any problems but I can't remember the exact steps I took.  But ask Alan, I know nothing about computers.  So if I can get it I am sure you can.  I am sure Alan will be along to help you.   Thumbs Up
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 12:25:54 pm by rhonda »

Alan

• Founding Backup #372
    • Chandler's Zen
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 12:27:37 pm »
I tried downloading the vlc player..it said it was downloaded,and when i click on run,nothing happens...I searched my cpu for it,and can't find it anywhere... Dunno

Are you using firefox or internet explorer.

I would recommend when either of them put up the dialog box with a .exe program that you hit the save button.  It should give you a dialog box to chose where to save it.  Anywhere in "My Documents" should be fine - just remember where.

When it has downloaded.  find the file in File Explorer and double click it.  This should start the installer for the program.  Once installed it should add it to the start menu

Richard

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 01:00:33 pm »
Thanks Alan!  Huzzah!  Thanks

hilarious