Next May, Europe’s new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) comes into force, replacing the 1995 EU Data Protection Directive. It ushers in a new era, unifying data protection rules across Europe, strengthening the rights of EU citizens and placing new obligations on all organisations that offer goods and services online. This post describes the data that melindasbackups.com holds on individuals, and explains how they may specifically change any settings that they think is wrong.From May 2018 data will be held in five places
- General site visitors - whether members of the forum or not have basic information about their location, ip address, browser used stored in Google Analytics. This data will be held for 14 months before being erased.
- Members of this forum have information about themselves stored in the database that powers this forum. This database is located in a secure hosting environment in the United Kingdom with sole access to the account available to the member "Alan" (see http://melindasbackups.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=4 ). Every post in the forum is initially linked to the member who made it. Any member can access and edit their profile, or - if they so wish - completely delete their account. Deleting an account will remove all information about that user, and will remove their name (and other contact data) from any post that they made.
- Members who participate in chat, football or air hockey leave references to their user account on the forum in the databases, for these application. Their username (not actual name) and in the case of football only - their e-mail address are kept in the database. If any user would specifically like this data to be anonymised (it cannot be removed entirely) please contact Alan with a Personal Message on this site.
- Backups are made of all the database are made on a daily basis, and retained on the server for a period of two months. The only use of this data is to recover the operational databases in the event of failure.
- Copies of the backups are transferred to Alan's Home and retained in a secure server for a period of 6 weeks. The only use of this data is to recover the operational databases in the event of loss of the main server.
Continuance of this site is dependant both upon Melinda Doolittle's continuing to allow the use of the melindasbackups.com domain name, which she owns, and Alan's continuing ability to make available a server to host the site. If either of these stop,
all data (including backups) will be deleted.