Author Topic: Apologies for recent outage  (Read 97 times)

Alan

• Founding Backup #372
  • cool, steely master technophile.
    • Chandler's Zen
Apologies for recent outage
« on: February 22, 2017, 06:51:08 pm »
I am afraid I had a bit of disaster on the server this web site runs on.  Halfway through yesterday afternoon, I did something the prevented the overall system from booting.  The only way I could recover was to get the hosting company to clean the disk so I could start again.

Fortunately I have been meticulous with a backup regime, so I was able to go back and retrieve the database from the back-up taken early yesterday morning, along with all the attachments and also retrieve all the software that it takes to run this site from backups taken every few weeks.

I am almost finished restoring everything.  As you see at the top of the page there are still some problems with airhockey and chat, and I am pretty sure the football is not working yet also.  It may take me until sometime tomorrow to get those back to working too.

One think I will NOT be restoring is the 17 GB of media files that we have on melinda.  I do have them at home , but it would take for ever to upload them to the machine that runs this site, and I am pretty sure very little use is made of them at the moment. It also means that I was paying extra to store them at the site, something as I close the business I no longer want to do.

If anyone really does want them , contact me privately and I will find a way to put them on an SD card and send them through the post.

Sorry again for the disruption, and bear with me whilst I sort out the other little niggling issues along the way

Desiree

• Founding Backup #730 - mdoolittle @Jmoffet Can't believe I'm saying this, but listen to @swain1856
  • Web site Team
Re: Apologies for recent outage
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 06:02:48 pm »
Backups save the day!  hehe, computer backups this time.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Jena

• happy bibliophile, and "crazy" cat lady
Re: Apologies for recent outage
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 08:51:42 am »
Thanks for everything that you do to keep up this site, Alan. Big hug