Author Topic: Football Rules  (Read 498 times)

ghopper

• Founding Backup #492
Football Rules
« on: December 10, 2014, 04:45:33 pm »
As most of you know, football picks default to favorites if you do not make selections before the first game on Sunday.  In the past, several of the participants in the football contest were unable to enter picks by the deadline because of personal circumstances, work/travel schedules, extraordinary events, etc.  I thought it best to just default the picks to favorites for missing picks because if a participant loses a whole week's worth of picks, it is almost impossible to make up.  And in fact, many would have quit the contest altogether.  So in the spirit of fun and keeping the group together, missed weeks were defaulted to favorites.

So the question came up over the weekend if this rule should be applied retroactively.  There were a few people who joined the contest late and therefore missed the first or second week of football picks.

In the first (and maybe second) year of this football contest, the lowest scoring week for each participant was thrown out.  Since Alan automated the contest with this great user interface, it is difficult to do this.  It would have been a good way to compensate for late joiners.

So I would like your opinion on whether the rule of defaulting to favorites should be applied retroactively to the late joiners in the pool.

PS I don't know how to make a poll but chime in with your opinions until I figure it out.  Haha!
  Late Night Vamp Club
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What you are is God's gift to you;  What you make of yourself is your gift to God.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jena

• happy bibliophile, and "crazy" cat lady
Re: Football Rules
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 05:16:47 pm »
I don't see anything wrong with defaulting to favorites for that first week, if you're already doing it anyway. Thumbs Up

Also, it's easy to make a poll.  I'm going to look at one of my topics and then I'll tell you how.

Jena

• happy bibliophile, and "crazy" cat lady
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 05:21:23 pm »
Ok, for me this is at the top of the thread, but i'm not sure where it is for you visually.

In any topic you create, there are these options;
send topic
notify
print
add poll

When you click "add poll", it's pretty much just a fill-in-the-blank from there.
Add your question, then however many options you want to include for answers.  Then there are checkboxes and radio buttons for things like how many votes per user you want to allow, how many days to run the poll, whether to let voters see results before they vote or not, etc.
Click "save", and you're done.
I hope that helps.

Desiree

• Founding Backup #730 - mdoolittle @Jmoffet Can't believe I'm saying this, but listen to @swain1856
  • Web site Team
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 11:47:30 pm »
I concur.

I don't see anything wrong with defaulting to favorites for that first week, if you're already doing it anyway. Thumbs Up

Also, it's easy to make a poll.  I'm going to look at one of my topics and then I'll tell you how.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Desiree

• Founding Backup #730 - mdoolittle @Jmoffet Can't believe I'm saying this, but listen to @swain1856
  • Web site Team
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 10:29:16 pm »
Woohoo, we have teams in the playoffs!

So I noticed the only two people who didn't score any playoff points are Holly and Melinda.  Then I noticed they only entered three playoff selections for each conference instead of six.  What's with that? 
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

hilarious