Author Topic: PLAYOFF PICKS ARE DUE ON SUNDAY, OCT 5!!!!  (Read 1888 times)

ghopper

• Founding Backup #492
PLAYOFF PICKS ARE DUE ON SUNDAY, OCT 5!!!!
« on: October 01, 2014, 07:44:01 pm »
For those who have not entered their playoff picks, please enter them before Sunday, Oct 5 at 1 pm Eastern (or I'll pick them for you  Yikes).

This is the easiest way to make your playoff picks:
1. First, pick the winner of each division
2. Then pick 2 additional teams per conference (AFC and NFC) as wildcards.

Late Night Vamp Club
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What you are is God's gift to you;  What you make of yourself is your gift to God.

Jena

• happy bibliophile, and "crazy" cat lady
Re: PLAYOFF PICKS ARE DUE ON SUNDAY, OCT 5!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 09:43:03 pm »
 Crying This is the one place in the football pool where it is not Jaws's friend. Brick wall It's doable though. Winner

Gemini2

• Founding Backup #510
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 02:12:49 pm »
Right now I think anyone could pick better than I am doing.   Duh Duh Brick wall Brick wall

Jena

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 09:15:10 pm »
Can anyone tell me the teams in one of two of the divisions?
The way Jaws is reading, I think the teams for division 1 are teams 1, 5, 9, etc., and then the next division is teams 2, 6, 10, etc.  But I just want to be doubly sure before I make my picks.

Alan

• Founding Backup #372
  • cool, steely master technophile.
    • Chandler's Zen
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 07:44:58 am »
Jena
I am not sure I understand what you are saying.  The playoff picks are laid out in a grid, with the two conferences as the rows and the East, North West South, divisions are the columns.

Within each of those larger cells, the 4 teams that make up that particular division are in rows, with one column for the team name (3 letters) and 3 little radio buttons to the right each in their own little column.  These are Divisional Winner, Wild Card 1 and Wild Card 2.

I don't know how JAWS interprets all that,  especially as the big cells (Conference/Divisions) span several smaller rows/columns, but if you can understand that basic structure it might help.

You have to pick a divisional winner for each Division,  The wild cards are across the entire conference, but you obviously can't pick the same team as the divisional winner, and as the wild card winner, so they act like radio buttons should,  you press one it undoes the other.  What is slightly strange, is that you can only pick one Wild1 winner and only one Wild2 winner, so if you try and pick two teams as wild card 1 winners, it undoes the second selection immediately you try it (and with a little flash of red for those that can see).

Jena

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 04:55:26 pm »
I can see that it's a table, but Jaws has never read this correctly, for a reason I can't comprehend.  I'm going to try to copy and paste what I see when I look at the table, and maybe this can help you match what you see with what I see.  When Jaws starts reading to me, it says "Buf," then "Bal", then "Hou", then "Den", then "Mia."

\

Division

East

North

South

West

Conference

\

Team

D Win

Wild1

Wild2

Team

D Win

Wild1

Wild2

Team

D Win

Wild1

Wild2

Team

D Win

Wild1

Wild2

American Football Conference 
BUF

BAL

HOU

DEN

MIA

CIN

IND

KC

NE

CLE

JAC

OAK

NYJ

PIT

TEN

SD

Alan

• Founding Backup #372
    • Chandler's Zen
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 03:15:09 pm »
I can see that it's a table, but Jaws has never read this correctly, for a reason I can't comprehend.  I'm going to try to copy and paste what I see when I look at the table, and maybe this can help you match what you see with what I see.  When Jaws starts reading to me, it says "Buf," then "Bal", then "Hou", then "Den", then "Mia."
These are the contents of the text (team names) for the first teams in East, North, South, West, followed by Miami in East Division again

\

Division

East

North

South

West

Conference

\

Team

D Win

Wild1

Wild2

Team

D Win

Wild1

Wild2

Team

D Win

Wild1

Wild2

Team

D Win

Wild1

Wild2

That lots was the the headings of the initial row

American Football Conference

That is the conference header - way to the left . Above it are two rows, the first says "\" and "Div" and the second says "Conference" and "\".  This is supposed to represent a bigger box divided by a diagonal line from top left to bottom right.  With the word "Div" then showing what the rest of that row is about, and the word "Conference" showing what the column is about.  That is obviously complicated when you can't see it, but makes more sense when you can.

BUF

The words "American Football Conference" span 4 separate rows which start to the right of it.  The first of these rows starts with  "BUF" (team name) and the 2 is a little marker which says its 2 points if you have selected this team and it makes the playoff

What appears to be missing is any indication of the radio buttons that follow - there are three of them with names DEAFC (Division East AFC), W1AFC (Wildcard 1 AFC) and W2AFC(Wildcard 2 AFC), and each one has the value BUF (so we know which team this radio button selects).  Each one is in a separate table cell.

BAL

HOU

DEN

The above is the rest of the first row of teams and their playoff picks and again with missing radio buttons   

MIA
[size=78%]    [/size]
CIN

IND

KC

NE

CLE

JAC

OAK

NYJ

PIT

TEN

SD

The rest of the AFC are head in groups of four (East North South West) - but again with missing radio buttons.

It seems to me you could figure it out if JAWs indicated the presence of the radio buttons - but sadly it doesn't.  I can only suggest you actually decide what you want to pick for your divisional winner and wildcard 1 and wildcard 2 for each conference and then ask Maria to enter it for you (I think she is able.  If not I can tweak the database instead, but that would be a lot harder, so I would prefer her to do it for you if she can).

Can you think of a mechanism that Jaws would understand on how you could make picks for divisional winner and wildcard 1 and wildcard 2 and I can think about a change for next year.  (I am also working on a touch version of football that should work on tablets and phones, although progress has been slow as I have been busy on other things and whilst I had originally hoped to have it ready for this year, I have slipped my delivery date to next year).

Jena

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 08:36:48 pm »
Oh, it sees the radio buttons, Alan.  I just needed to know which teams were in which divisions, so I could see how Jaws was reading the table.
It's reading them like I was afraid it was, which just means I'll have to count by fours, memorize every fifth team (to get all four from each division), then choose my winner, do that four times for each division, then try to remember the twelve remaining teams that would be up for wildcard spots. Faint Thank you for the help and the explanation. Big hug 

Alan

• Founding Backup #372
    • Chandler's Zen
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 07:28:31 am »
Oh, it sees the radio buttons, Alan.  I just needed to know which teams were in which divisions, so I could see how Jaws was reading the table.
It's reading them like I was afraid it was, which just means I'll have to count by fours, memorize every fifth team (to get all four from each division), then choose my winner, do that four times for each division, then try to remember the twelve remaining teams that would be up for wildcard spots. Faint Thank you for the help and the explanation. Big hug

Compare it with this table http://www.nfl.com/standings, does that help?

mcaro05

• Founding Backup #753
  • Lively, compassionate, gracious, introspective.
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 01:45:32 pm »
Jena, let me know if you want me to make your picks for you

Jena

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 04:27:37 pm »
Alan,
That helps immensely. I made my picks, but thanks to this table, I'm going back and review them. Big hug Thanks Megan. World Hug

Jena

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 04:55:15 pm »
 Faint Faint I better get some d*** points on those picks! . . I spent 45 minutes making and changing them, not on the decisions mind you, just reading through that table and being sure I had checked the right buttons, and in so doing, trying to be sure my changes didn't uncheck another button. Tongue Out LOL sign

ghopper

• Founding Backup #492
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 03:44:50 am »
 Clapping Clapping Clapping  Good job, Jena!!!  I have a hard time clicking the buttons all the time.

Faint Faint I better get some d*** points on those picks! . . I spent 45 minutes making and changing them, not on the decisions mind you, just reading through that table and being sure I had checked the right buttons, and in so doing, trying to be sure my changes didn't uncheck another button. Tongue Out LOL sign
  Late Night Vamp Club
What you are is God's gift to you;  What you make of yourself is your gift to God.

Jena

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 04:05:40 pm »
 Rolling On Floor Laughing Thanks Maria.  It was an exercise in "patience" and "staying the course." World Hug