Author Topic: WEEK 5 Games -- There is a game on Thurs, Oct 2!!!!!  (Read 1668 times)

ghopper

• Founding Backup #492
WEEK 5 Games -- There is a game on Thurs, Oct 2!!!!!
« on: October 01, 2014, 07:39:16 pm »
Week 5 games are posted!!!!   Super excited Super excited Super excited Super excited Super excited Super excited

Don't forget to put in your Thursday pick before the game!!!

Good luck, everyone!!!!!    banana dance banana dance banana dance banana dance banana dance banana dance banana dance banana dance
  Late Night Vamp Club
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What you are is God's gift to you;  What you make of yourself is your gift to God.

Gemini2

• Founding Backup #510
Re: WEEK 5 Games -- There is a game on Thurs, Oct 2!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 03:33:25 am »
What happens to the people who are late? Or don't get them in by game time?

What is the penalty for having an L placed by your pick?

There are 5 tonight and the game is almost over. Can they still pick? (I hope not.)

ghopper

• Founding Backup #492
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 03:41:53 am »
If they don't pick, I default the picks to the favorites.  Sometimes people send me PMs or texts with their picks.  As long as I receive their messages before game time, I enter their picks.  Otherwise, they are defaulted to the favorites.
  Late Night Vamp Club
What you are is God's gift to you;  What you make of yourself is your gift to God.

Gemini2

• Founding Backup #510
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 05:20:05 am »
So what is the penalty for being late?

Somehow if you don't get your picks in ..... You snooze=  you lose.
I might as well just let you put all mine to the favorites. Sorry!

Gemini2

• Founding Backup #510
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 05:29:11 am »
So 5 people got points tonight even tho they didn't get their picks in.

I can see making exceptions when someone is sick. in the hospital or their electricty is out. But just to do it because you don't like to penalize them.  Dunno Dunno Dunno Dunno

If you're too lazy or forgetful to do it .... then lose your points. Sounds like left wing liberals to me. Get something for nothing!

Jena

• happy bibliophile, and "crazy" cat lady
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 06:36:28 am »
I can see the reasoning behind it, because it might be more of a hastle, trying to figure out who genuinely had a reason for not getting their picks in, vs. who just didn't make the effort.
But the frustration for me is this.
Let's say I always get my picks in early, but my team loses the game.
Person A doesn't put their picks in at all, and the favorite gets chosen for him or her.  So person A gets a point.
With this system, wouldn't it just be better for me not to make my picks, and end up getting the point by virtue of the favorite being chosen for me?

I know people have things come up, and the Thursday night games don't help anything for anybody.  I certainly wouldn't want anyone with a good reason to miss out on their picks.  But it's almost a penalty toward those who put them in on time.  I'm speaking as one who has been on both sides, putting things in on time, and also forgetting.

What about this idea?
Instead of a "late penalty", how about an "early reward?"  Would it be feasible to give a "reward point" per week, to those who get their picks in before the game time?  That way, there would be even more incentive for people to remember it?
Or if not that, then what about "reward" or "penalty" points at the end of the season, dependent on how many "on time" vs. "late" picks? Dunno I'm just thinking in writing; I don't know if that makes things too complicated or no, but I thought I'd make the suggestion.

Gemini2

• Founding Backup #510
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 12:56:00 am »
Why not make things simple by just giving a ".5" points to those who are late but get it right by popular choice?

Jena

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 02:53:20 am »
 Huh? Dunno

Alan

• Founding Backup #372
  • cool, steely master technophile.
    • Chandler's Zen
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 02:40:21 pm »
I added the ability for the football administrator to perform picks on behalf of other users quite a while ago.  Then a couple of years ago I added the ability to make those picks after the deadline to help out with what I thought was an occasional situation, and thought I ought to add the little L, just so that people knew it was a late pick.

Last year I was hardly able to make time to make any picks at all, and this year I am still missing the odd few.  Prior to last year it was always the practice to just drop the scores if picks were late and I was quite surprised last year to get any points at all.  Personally, I would vote to go back to that position, and only expect the football administrator to add picks if specifically asked by someone because they know they will be unable to get their picks in on time.  I would expect Late picks to be very rare indeed and only be entered by the administrator if they themselves had been unable to fulfil a request for picks received on time.

However. I will leave it to Maria as the football administrator to decide what she thinks is appropriate.  I don't think we should change the points for a late pick - that it purely a function of when Maria has time to fulfil a request she has received - not when the request was made. (and it would be quite hard to implement). 

Jena

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 08:38:22 pm »
That makes sense. Thumbs Up

mcaro05

• Founding Backup #753
  • Lively, compassionate, gracious, introspective.
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 01:48:59 pm »
I forgot last week with all going on with my dad and expected to get 0 points. I think Gem's idea of .5 would work. I got them in on time this week ! GO LIONS!

ghopper

• Founding Backup #492
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 03:53:43 am »
I think the .5 points is going to hard to implement.  I will just enter the picks for people who are not able to as long as I receive notification before game time.  There are some people like Patrick who travel a lot and would like the admin to make their picks when they haven't entered anything by game time.  I will consider that a standing request and enter picks for them before game time.

So anyone who wants the admin to enter their picks if they haven't entered any picks by 5 mins before game time, just let me know.
  Late Night Vamp Club

ghopper

• Founding Backup #492
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 04:00:43 am »
Wow!  The choices were closer than I had expected.  And no one picked the correct answer!   Duh Duh Duh Duh Duh

ANSWER TO WEEK 5 BONUS QUESTION:

QUESTION:  Which of the following three teams will take advantage of home cooking and score the MOST points in their upcoming week 5 home games?

o   Philadelphia (7 point favorite against 1-2 St. Louis who is coming off a bye)
o   New Orleans (10.5 point favorite vs. 1-3 Tampa Bay who as a 7.5 dog beat Pittsburgh last week)
o   New England (1 point underdog vs. 3-0 Cincinnati who is coming off a bye)

ANSWER:  New England with 43 points

New England                              43 Points
New Orleans                              37 Points
Philadelphia                               34 Points

Late Night Vamp Club