Author Topic: Hey you guuuuuyyyyyssss!!!!!  (Read 9195 times)

ghopper

• Founding Backup #492
Re: Hey you guuuuuyyyyyssss!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2011, 08:25:20 am »
Melinda said the teenagers are running the show.  IMO, it's the female teenagers running the show.  I don't think male teenagers cast many votes.  Not for Pia and not for anyone else.

Agree that the female teenagers are the ones voting. Heck! You think guys would vote? But if they were voting, I think they would vote "young" also, just like the girls. And that means they probably won't vote for Pia either.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 02:56:40 pm by ghopper »
  Late Night Vamp Club
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What you are is God's gift to you;  What you make of yourself is your gift to God.

Jena

• happy bibliophile, and "crazy" cat lady
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2011, 06:43:10 pm »
I agree with your theory 10000%, Melinda.  It's the same one i've had since you got voted off. Crying Enraged May 2007 was about the time I invoked the "old person" mantra, "Don't these kids ever go to bed?" Rolling On Floor Laughing I would have been perfectly happy with their youthful enthusiasm if they had voted for you. Winner

grapeape

• Founding Backup #714
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2011, 07:06:32 pm »
Pertaining to your theory:

If male teenagers were voting, don't you think Pia would still be on Idol?  I presume teenagers means girls.   LOL sign

I don't think male teenagers would be voting for her, if they vote.  Her image is too mature and polished.  I think these teenagers would vote for their own - image-wise, that is.

PS  I do think that Gwen's style works only for Gwen; the style looks atrocious on other women with non-Gwen body types (hated Lauren's outfit).  I think it would have helped Pia to have gone for "younger" outfits (if she wanted the teen vote) and not always for a decked out Celine-style wardrobe.  The perfect opportunity would have been Rock week.  Also, the judges did not help her any by giving her a pass for staying in her own little bubble up there and not working the stage.  I think Pia is more of a "glory" than a "grit" singer.  So I wasn't quite on board with her rendition of that Tina Turner song.  For me, what was always missing in her performances was a connection with the audience.  I sit there, listen, and admire her but never really get involved in her peformance.  I feel like a spectator and after a while, her performance becomes very boring for me. I kinda understand how she got voted off, though I was not expecting it (didn't think my reaction to her was typical of the AI audience, plus there were worse performers in the group).

Hop (and anyone else who is interested), if you listen to Celine Dion's version of "River Deep Mountain High" you will know where Pia got her version from (it is on youtube - I've included a live version. PS...Although, I love Celine and she is a true performer, I do sometimes think she is a little "cheesy").  Celine however, has learned how to PERFORM.  Pia hadn't learned that yet (maybe she won't?).

More important to her demise, I think, is her lack of an emotional connection.  If you watched her (Pia) on Idol, she was very restrained with her emotion...even when she was told she was eliminated, she held back her tears and her emotion (maybe it was shock) for a long time.  That withholding of emotion came across in her singing.  If she can learn to let go and really connect emotionally to the song and to the audience - as someone (MD) we all created this forum for, who just feels it in her bones - then she (Pia) "could" be a great star with that voice, her sweet disposition and her looks.  JMO

By the way... I think there is one female vocalist who taught herself how to perform a song through her own inner demons and emotional pain and her desire to be an actress.  Of course, you know I refer to Barbra Streisand.  Ms. Doolittle also has the same, what is IT?, emotional connection to both the song and the listener.  The emotional connection and performance ability and style they both innately have just makes you FEEL them SING.  Here is my favorite Barbra performance to prove my point (of course, it is subjective about Barbra and is just my own opinion, but we are all here because of Melinda - so you get what I am trying to convey - PERFORMANCE & EMOTION are what we all want when we listen to and watch a vocalist)  Oh, and we want to have FUN too, don't we?

Sorry for getting off track...HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MOMMY M!  YOU ROCK!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIqCCnalIG0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIqCCnalIG0</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ryPKEqYlHk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ryPKEqYlHk</a>
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 07:20:30 pm by grapeape »

"We make a living by what we get but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill

Alan

• Founding Backup #372
  • cool, steely master technophile.
    • Chandler's Zen
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2011, 07:22:46 pm »
I agree with the stuff about Pia's lack of emotional connection.  If you couple that with the fact that every performance sounded the same I am not entirely surprised.

I also think the outfit she was wearing this week did her no favours at all (very unflattering from the rear - IMO).

Voters seem to avoid contestants who lack humility.  Pia mentioned (although it might have been in the elimination show) what she would do next time - without prefacing it with an "if I'm still here".  Notice Jakub was in the bottom three after effectively saying the public would be idiots if he got into the bottom three.

Jena

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 07:42:50 pm »
Thank you all for defining what was wrong!
Everybody kept talking about how great a talent Pia was, and I just didn't get it.  I thought I was just missing some visually captivating aspect of her performances, but "emotional disconnection" to the music was the problem.

ghopper

• Founding Backup #492
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2011, 01:48:24 am »
Hey, Ape!  You hit the nail right on the head with Pia.  Every performance of hers screams "antiseptic" to me - clean, clinical, detached.  Wow!  That was note for note the same as Celine's version minus the performance aspect.  I'm most familiar with Tina's which was wild and pure emotion.  I love watching Tina perform with total abandon. 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agq2g5nYxAs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agq2g5nYxAs</a>

PS  I'll have you know I watched the BS video all the way through. That was most excellent.  Her voice was made for that song.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 03:00:30 am by ghopper »
  Late Night Vamp Club
What you are is God's gift to you;  What you make of yourself is your gift to God.

ghopper

• Founding Backup #492
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2011, 01:57:24 am »
I agree with the stuff about Pia's lack of emotional connection.  If you couple that with the fact that every performance sounded the same I am not entirely surprised.

I also think the outfit she was wearing this week did her no favours at all (very unflattering from the rear - IMO).

Voters seem to avoid contestants who lack humility.  Pia mentioned (although it might have been in the elimination show) what she would do next time - without prefacing it with an "if I'm still here".  Notice Jakub was in the bottom three after effectively saying the public would be idiots if he got into the bottom three.

LOL!  Totally agree about the outfit.  Very unflattering especially when she had to bend/squat to belt out a note.

With regards to humility, I totally agree.  When I saw the bottom 3, I silently said Yay.... way to instill some humble pie in Pia and Jacob;  they acted like they could never be in the bottom 3.  Not that I blame them because of their competition.  But it's bad form to exude that kind of air on the show.  Most often, the voters punish you for that.  What Jacob said was a total turn off for me.... would not have voted for him that night if only for that comment.  So all in all, there appears to be some method to the madness of the people's vote.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 02:03:23 am by ghopper »
  Late Night Vamp Club

ghopper

• Founding Backup #492
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2011, 01:58:21 am »
Sorry for taking this thread off track.... Now back to Mom M's birthday!
  Late Night Vamp Club

Mu Doo

• Founding Backup #553 Melinda's precious
  • 'the eyes are blind. One must look with the heart'
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2011, 04:01:04 pm »
I can`t do it from Brazil, but I am wishing everybody who can do it. Wishing the best of the world to Mommy M.

PS. Wish I could have to meet and hug her.
My Patrick, my Des, my Cathy and my Maria, thanks for everything you have done for me! I love you to life!!! Thanks all Backups.
"You are such a gift!  To think that almost a world away, we have found such a friendship, is a tribute to you and your amazing heart.  Thank you so much for all that you are."
"PS  I had the best time during your visit here.  You can't imagine!  You are one ball of pure joy!."

sueintucson

• Founding Backup #676
  • intelligent, diplomatic, inquisitve, serene
    • Melinda Doolittle Backup
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2011, 11:44:21 pm »
I did the bednet thing for Mom Marguerite!   Rose  Please give her a birthday hug from me!!   Rose
Sue

www.myspace.com/sueintucson

Stand often in the company of dreamers:
  they tickle your common sense & believe you can achieve
  things which are impossible.
          maryanne radmacher

Melinda

• Queen of our Hearts and Head of our most humble Family
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2011, 05:50:42 pm »
First of all...y'all are awesome! Thanks for all the wonderful bed net donations! Mommy is going to be so happy!!!!!!

Secondly...I agree with all of you!

Yes, DESIree - I think it's the teen girls. If you look at the demographic of the Idol tour audience, you can definitely see that.

Yes, Maria - There are very few L.A.M.B. clothing items that look good on anyone that doesn't have the string bean body type and cool, funky attitude of Gwen Stefani.

Yes, April - Pia definitely did Celine's version of that song...note for note...but couldn't seem to match the passion. And I love anything Barbra Streisand does. I have DVDs of so many of her shows! LOVE her!!!

Yes, Jena - emotional disconnection is the perfect description!

Yes, Alan - Some of their reactions and statements definitely came across as too confident. I'm hoping they didn't mean it that way, though.

And yes, Megan - I'm always right. Hehehe...just kidding!

LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!

mcaro05

• Founding Backup #753
  • Lively, compassionate, gracious, introspective.
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2011, 05:54:37 pm »
I just donated, but I had a 3 year old on my lap and a 5 year old painting her legs and arms  in nail polish....so I didn't get to say everything I wanted to in the message Smiley Happy Birthday to your mommy!

Jena

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2011, 07:41:03 pm »
Melinda--"Yes Megan, I'm always right." Rolling On Floor Laughing Rolling On Floor Laughing Rolling On Floor Laughing Rolling On Floor Laughing

Melinda,
I don't mean to scare you on your Mommy's birthday, . . . . but you're starting to sound like me. Shocked Melodramatic

Desiree

• Founding Backup #730 - mdoolittle @Jmoffet Can't believe I'm saying this, but listen to @swain1856
  • Web site Team
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2011, 08:03:08 pm »
First of all...y'all are awesome! Thanks for all the wonderful bed net donations! Mommy is going to be so happy!!!!!!

Secondly...I agree with all of you!

Yes, DESIree - I think it's the teen girls. If you look at the demographic of the Idol tour audience, you can definitely see that.

LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!

Yay, Happy Birthday to Mommy Marguerite!! 

MELInda, I want you to know that when my Mom called you Melissa, I immediately corrected her.  Although now I'm scared to ever bring my Mom to another concert because she might call you Melissa to your face.   Brick wall 

P.S.  My Mom voted for Casey (and Thia and James) but has trouble remembering his name.  She even wants to go see the Idol tour.  I'm going to tell her she will only get into the show if she makes a sign that says Casey & Melinda Rock!  Maybe making a sign will help her remember names.   LOL sign
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Melinda

• Queen of our Hearts and Head of our most humble Family
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2011, 03:50:32 am »
Mommy says Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
She loves you guys so much and couldn't believe you did this for her!

You guys rock!!!!  Huzzah!

Love you,  Give a kiss
Me

hilarious