Author Topic: Contributions for the Christmas Project  (Read 16929 times)

ghopper

• Founding Backup #492
Re: Contributions for the Christmas Project
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 01:56:25 am »

Dear Melinda,

This year we started Christmas at our 3 adopted nursing homes somewhat early -- right at Thanksgiving.  The youth group in our church is involved in this project.  At Thanksgiving, we decorated the homes for the holidays and prepared the Thanksgiving dinner for all the residents of the 3 homes.  Many of the old people there do not have family in the area and only a few have visitors during the holidays.  It is quite a lonely time for many of them.  The youth group and the choir prepared a program too to entertain them.  Every weekend after Thanksgiving, groups of us will visit the homes and involve the residents in social activities.  Our youth group has been doing this for the last 3 years and have become very good at organizing the activities -- board games, group singing, conversations.  We serve lunch on these weekends.  Our church choir performs Christmas carols on Saturday and Sunday evenings.  The people in these nursing homes look forward to these weekends.  Somehow I think our activities alleviate some of the loneliness they live with for most of the year.  This has been my famiily's Christmas project for the last 3 years.

You are an inspiration to us by your word and example.  Thank you for that.  And thank you for demonstrating  how we all can make a difference in our communities.  Merry Christmas to you and all who are dear to you.  May you be showered with abundant blessings during this holy season.

Much love,

Maria
  Late Night Vamp Club
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What you are is God's gift to you;  What you make of yourself is your gift to God.

Elcondado

• Founding Backup #603, Cathy
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 09:55:16 am »

Dear Melinda,
How can I ever thank you enough for the kindness, generosity, and love you have shown each of your Backups?  You have touched and changed so many lives, my own included, and I will always be eternally "thankful and grateful" :-) for the great fortune of being a Melinda's backup.  What a wonderful role model you have been in so many ways.  As we once again approach Christmas, your dedication to supporting charitable endevours is a reminder to me to follow your example.   As in past years, I have struggled to find the perfect place to give for this Christmas project.  In reality however, there is no perfect place, as there are sadly so many who are in need.  After giving much thought and research into my project, I decided on giving to two organizations.

So, I will be donating a goat and 4 chickens to a family in need, in your name, through World Vision International, a local Christian humanitarian charity organization, dedicated to working with children, families, and their communities worldwide to tackle poverty.  "The goats will nourish hungry children and families with healthy milk, cheese, and yogurt. The chickens will provide fresh eggs that are rich in protein and nutrients, and extra eggs and chicks can be sold to pay for other basics needs".

"A dairy goat can give up to 16 cups of milk a day. Goat milk is easier to digest than cow's milk and is an excellent source of calcium, protein, and other essential nutrients that growing children need. Goats are practical animals, flourishing in harsh climates while producing valuable manure to fertilize crops and vegetable gardens. Chickens are equally easy to raise, and will naturally multiply to impact generations of children. Each family that receives chickens is asked to give back hatched chicks to help another family in need. Chicks require little money, space, or food to thrive and grow, making them an ideal business venture for a single mom or vulnerable family".

Since animals are such an important part of my life, I will also once again support the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary by sponsoring the 22 year old Arabian gelding named Darby (pictured above) in your name.  "Darby lost his home because his family felt they had too many horses. Somebody had to go, and Darby drew the short straw".  He's very personable with his fellow animals and humans alike, according to the sanctuary, but he can no longer be ridden.  Chances of getting adopted out are slim, but fortunately for Darby, the sanctuary, located in Southwestern Utah, operates the largest no-kill sanctuary in the country for abandoned, abused and neglected companion and barnyard animal.  Darby will be guaranteed a home for life. 

Thank you for being such an inspiration Melinda.  I want to wish you and your wonderful family and friends, the very best Christmas, filled with joy, health, and love.
With much love,
Cathy

Valerie

• Founding Backup #395
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2009, 04:46:51 pm »
Hey everyone,

The Christmas project did get sent out on schedule...here are some pictures. Sorry I didn't get them up sooner. Hope you all have a Merry Christmas!

Vegas Vamp

sueintucson

• Founding Backup #676
  • intelligent, diplomatic, inquisitve, serene
    • Melinda Doolittle Backup
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2009, 05:37:54 pm »
Val, thanks for all your work on this!   Rose Rose   Thanks   Big hug
Sue

www.myspace.com/sueintucson

Stand often in the company of dreamers:
  they tickle your common sense & believe you can achieve
  things which are impossible.
          maryanne radmacher

Desiree

• Founding Backup #730 - mdoolittle @Jmoffet Can't believe I'm saying this, but listen to @swain1856
  • Web site Team
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2009, 06:09:31 pm »
It looks fantastic.  Thank you Val!   Big hug Big hug Big hug
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Holly

• Founding Backup # 558
  • Live life with no regrets!
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2009, 07:41:49 pm »
Thanks sooooooo much val.   Looks awesome.   Love you bunches!!!
 Big hug Big hug

rhonda

• Founding Backup #488
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2009, 11:13:52 pm »
Thanks so much Val for the hard work.    Big hug

mcaro05

• Founding Backup #753
  • Lively, compassionate, gracious, introspective.
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2009, 03:22:08 am »
looks awesome!!! thanks val!

Jena

• happy bibliophile, and "crazy" cat lady
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2009, 03:41:25 am »
Thanks Val. Big hug Rose Rose

ghopper

• Founding Backup #492
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2009, 05:47:12 am »
It looks great!  Thanks, Val!!!   Big hug Big hug Big hug
  Late Night Vamp Club
What you are is God's gift to you;  What you make of yourself is your gift to God.

donna

• Founding Backup #695
  • Wise, strongwilled, intuitive
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2009, 06:02:14 am »
Thank you Val. It looks great.   Big hug Big hug

Elcondado

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2009, 12:56:24 am »
Great job Val....thank you sooooo much for all the time and effort you put into making this project happen..... Clapping Clapping Clapping Clapping Clapping Clapping

Tiger

• Founding Backup
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2009, 05:04:29 am »
Thanks sooo much, Val! Big hug

Happy New Year everyone!
Don't look down on small beginnings - Melinda.

Elcondado

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2010, 07:39:23 am »
Good Ole Rhonda's funny farm has her        E...I...E....I...O...     Super excited   Thumbs Up

rhonda

• Founding Backup #488
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2010, 01:18:57 pm »
Why are you harassing my duck?  More importantly, you are tracking up an official thread.   Slap

hilarious