Author Topic: Contributions for the Christmas Project  (Read 16992 times)

Valerie

• Founding Backup #395
Contributions for the Christmas Project
« on: November 25, 2009, 09:03:22 pm »
Hi everyone,

Please post your christmas project stories in this thread--your descriptions of what you did to help others in need for the holiday season. I would like to have them all by Sunday, December 13th, so I have enough time to assemble the scrapbook and send it out. If you have pictures you would like to include, you can email them to me at ValLVNV@aol.com. Thanks!

Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving.  Big hug
   Vegas Vamp

Weezzy7

• Founding Backup #741
  • Official News Seeker
Re: Contributions for the Christmas Project
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 12:45:21 pm »
My Christmas project this years is my engagement with the city  to go distribuate foods for poor peoples who can't affort to celebrate Christmas time. Every years i'm going also to the hospital section of cancer to bring some gifts to them and bring them hope and faith and the last thing like i do every time going to the old peoples house at lunch time to help around feed some peoples or travel them to thier room to the dinner place and like the place have a list who the family stop visiting them  i bring them some gifts and sing christmas song with them. They love it! What it cost to give a little piece of your heart to someone who have love to give in return. 

Holly

• Founding Backup # 558
  • Live life with no regrets!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 01:36:40 pm »
Did you get mine in email?  Big hug

Valerie

• Founding Backup #395
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 04:28:23 pm »
Yes, I got it. Thanks Holly and Weezy!
   Vegas Vamp

mcaro05

• Founding Backup #753
  • Lively, compassionate, gracious, introspective.
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 01:08:07 pm »
Dear Melinda,

Choosing a service project to be involved in has become one of my favorite Christmas traditions. I am inspired by the compassion you show to people and have become more aware of how to use my talents and skills to help others in need.

In the spring of last year, when I was figuring out what to do for a career, I decided to commit to a year of service through the Mercy Volunteer Corps. I wanted to gain experience in my field, give back to the Mercy community, and grow spiritually. So far, the experience at my placement, Detroit Cristo Rey High School, has been beyond amazing. I love the students and learn something new every single day. In addition, the life of a volunteer has taught me to appreciate and to be thankful. Living on $100 a month is tough, but it is opening my eyes to understanding what is important in life. I am able to prioritize and live more simply.  I try to teach my students the importance of displaying kindness to one another, just as you have taught me. This Christmas season, I wanted to get my students involved in helping others. As a school, we adopted three families in Detroit. Students signed up to volunteer to collect money/nonperishable food, buy gifts and food, wrap the gifts, and deliver. I am the adult primarily in charge of the project and have recruited students to volunteer. It is a rewarding experience to be working with the students and seeing them excited to make a difference and lend a helping hand. The students at my school come from poor family backgrounds and don’t have much to give, yet all of them have been willing to help those even less fortunate.

I am also volunteering at the Ronald McDonald house in Detroit. I will be giving tours of the facility and helping the families to get what they need. I will also be helping with their Christmas party and wrapping the presents for the kids who are sick. My roommates and I have committed to volunteering at the local soup kitchen during the holiday season.  The city of Detroit is severely suffering, and we are trying to help as much as we possibly can. By involving ourselves with the poor and marginalized we feel like we can make a small difference.

Melinda, I would not be where I am today without your inspiration and guidance. I love what I am doing and being able to  help others with my whole heart.  I have chosen the right path and I can proudly say that you have been a major part in that. Thank you and I hope that you have a very Merry Christmas!

Desiree

• Founding Backup #730 - mdoolittle @Jmoffet Can't believe I'm saying this, but listen to @swain1856
  • Web site Team
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 10:45:18 pm »

Dear Melinda,

I once again donated to my two favorite charities.  Both the Idaho Foodbank and the Melinda Doolittle Music Scholarship Fund received donations.

When I was a child my mother received food stamps for a time.  I also remember her being involved in a food co-op where if she would work so many hours a month, she would receive a discount on the food sold there.  So it’s probably not surprising that I like to help out the Idaho Foodbank, especially when economic times are hard.  From July 2008 to July 2009, the percentage of new people on the Food Stamp rolls in Idaho increased 42.3%.  It was the third highest increase in the nation behind Nevada and Utah.  Nationally, there are now 35,125,555 people on Food Stamps, an increase of 23.4% from July 2008.  (U.S. Department of Agriculture)

One of my favorite things that Idaho Foodbank does is the Backpack Program.  This program fills the backpacks of over 1,400 hungry children every weekend with six needed meals.  These backpacks, which cost $6.20 to fill, help hungry Idaho children get the nourishment they need while they are away from school-supplied meals.

I can also appreciate the financial help given by scholarships.  About 50% of my college education costs were funded by scholarships for which I’m very thankful.  I would not want to see anyone deprived of a college education because they couldn’t afford it.  So I really look forward to the day when the first Music Scholarship is awarded!

Thank you for being the sassy, hilarious, competitive, TV addict you are.  In other words, thank you for being you!  Thank you for all your blogs, tweets and You Tube videos.  Thank you for all the worthy causes you support with your time and talents.  Thank you for the absolutely fantastic concerts I enjoyed this year!  I wish you all the best this Christmas season and in the coming year.  Merry Christmas!

Love and hugs,
Desiree
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Valerie

• Founding Backup #395
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 11:00:53 pm »
Thanks Megan and Des. And I got yours too, Babz.

Anyone else contributing to this project, try to get it to me ASAP. Thanks!
   Vegas Vamp

donna

• Founding Backup #695
  • Wise, strongwilled, intuitive
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 04:29:26 am »

Dear Melinda:

I hope this Christmas season brings you many blessings. You sure have been a blessing to all of us in so many ways. I wasn't sure what I would do this year for my Christmas project until a couple months ago. I found out that a program  my community provides, is going to do repairs and upgrades to my house at no charge to me. This program helps home owners who cannot afford to have repairs done to their house. They will upgrade everything to hurricane proof (roof, windows and doors) and upgrade my electric to code for safety. There are many other repairs that will also be done. After it is finished, it will be like a new house. I am so grateful to my community for providing a service like this to help others. So now I would like to give back to my community where I could help families in need. I don't know yet what I will do but I am going to find a list of programs in my community and volunteer to help out where it is needed. I have always been one to help others and not want anything in return, but this year I have been blessed to be on the receiving end. I almost feel guilty but now I know how others feel when they receive something so wonderful from people who give from the kindness of their hearts. I only hope I can do as much for others as they have done for me.

Melinda, I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas. Thank you for sharing this past year with us. You are such a delight in every way. May next year bring you lots of happiness and good health and I hope all your dreams come true. God Bless you.

Love always,
Donna

drjamie03

• Backup #724
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 09:11:18 am »
Dear Melinda,

My Christmas project is really a yearlong project, and is the same as last year (and every year since I've been in private practice).  I work with low income people mostly, offering mental health therapy for individuals and couples.  Many therapists aren't willing to accept lower fees, and I try not to judge that, because everyone has reasons for doing what they do, and I can't possibly know what they are.  I do get frustrated sometimes, though, because I hear stories of people who desperately needed help and were turned down time and again by therapists who weren't willing to work with them on the fees.  Or I hear from people who were 'dumped' by their therapist because they lost their job and were no longer able to pay the fee (which in some cases was exorbitant, in my opinion).  I don't understand that, and don't think that's fair.  That's why I try to never turn anyone away, even when I'm having trouble paying my own bills.  I believe in karma, and the idea that we reap what we sow.  And even if I never get back what I've given (which is doubtful), I'm still blessed to be able to help those who need it and have no other way to get it.  It's my way of giving back, for all the kindnesses that have been shown to me in my life.

Merry Christmas, Melinda!  Thank you for all you've given to all of us.  You are making a difference!

Jamie
Jamie P

rhonda

• Founding Backup #488
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 06:19:59 pm »
Melinda,

It's that time of year again.  A time to think about giving to others.  Although this is something we should do all year long, it seems to have an extra meaning at Christmas. 

This year I have decided to give to Malaria No More.  I know this is something that is dear to your heart.  Hopefully, someday this will be a charity that we will no longer need to contribute to. 

I hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Love,
Rhonda

happybackup

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 06:36:55 pm »
Hi Melinda:

First and foremost, Ann and I wish you and your family (including Kelly!) a warm Christmas holiday season.  A time for you to gather and give lots of hugs and renew the strength that only family can give.  I am warmed by the realization that many of us among your Melinda’s Backups family are just like that too.  We think of you as family.  We love you for you, as a person so precious to us.  Of course, we want you to be wildly successful and famous, with scores of platinum CDs, but that is only because we want YOU to be happy and blessed.

The reality is: We would love and support you just as dearly on whatever path the Lord leads you.  As the years now begin to move by since we first discovered you on American Idol, there remains a deep joy and thankfulness that God chose to share you with us.  I know I speak for many by sharing how much we’ve been inspired by God’s Life shining forth through you.  How He can take such an obviously shy person and give you the strength to do what you do is truly awe inspiring.  This was (and is) a God thing.

My Melinda Christmas project is an experiment designed just for you.  I am asking for “youth volunteers” to participate in a “Pass-it-on-Program,” then write a note to Melinda Doolittle about their results.  The program is very simple: I give the youth volunteer (generally 10 years or younger) a $5.00 bill and ask them to spend it, not on themselves, but to help someone else in need or a good cause in their community.  In exchange, they write a “Dear Melinda:” letter telling you what they did with the money.  I will gather these and eventually get them to you.  They are also to write about something of their own possession, perhaps a hug or a helping hand, that they gave to another person or cause in need.  We shall see what comes out of it.  The most creative letter received so far is a young 8 year old girl who took her $5.00 and bought craft materials to make book markers to sell.  She made $35.00 from this effort and bought food for the local Humane Society Animal Shelter in her town.  She leveraged up the $5.00 to $35.00 and combined that with giving of her own time to make the book markers.  Her mother says the young girl loves animals and she can’t stop talking about the next project she should do.   I now have a book marker made for Melinda Doolittle which will have to wait for delivery until the next time I see you.

God bless!
Patrick

Mu Doo

• Founding Backup #553 Melinda's precious
  • 'the eyes are blind. One must look with the heart'
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 07:11:24 pm »
OMYGOD what a beautiful projects. Val, I will send the mine in your mail, okay! please tell me if you get this. THANKS!

Big hug Big hug Big hug

You guys are a Christmas gift.
My Patrick, my Des, my Cathy and my Maria, thanks for everything you have done for me! I love you to life!!! Thanks all Backups.
"You are such a gift!  To think that almost a world away, we have found such a friendship, is a tribute to you and your amazing heart.  Thank you so much for all that you are."
"PS  I had the best time during your visit here.  You can't imagine!  You are one ball of pure joy!."

Lexi (LMMD)

• Founding Backup #716
  • Engaging, bright, ambitious, kind
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 11:28:23 pm »
Hey Mama Melinda! ?
Well, first off I'd like to wish you a very Merry Christmas!  It's the best time of the year, and I hope that the Holidays bring you lots of joy, you deserve it!  I can't believe it's been almost three years since you came into my life.  It feels like I've known you forever!  You are my idol, my inspiration, and most importantly, a true friend who I will hold in my heart forever.  I remember the first time I met you, all I could say was "hi" and I shook like a leaf the entire time!  The second time I believe I coul;d say as much as "how are you?" and you totally only beat me in air hockey because I was nervous! hehehe, just kidding! =P  Hopefully by the next time I see you I won't be so shy.  Otherwise, you'll just have to drag me head-first out of my shell! 
Anyways, I'd like to tell you what I have done for others this holiday season.  First off, there is a little boy named Noah who has terminal cancer, and all he wants for Christmas is cards from all over the world.  I got a bunch of my family together, and we sent him cards, so I hope that he gets more than he could ever imagine!  Also, Boscovs is doing a holiday thing that for every kid who writes them a note to Santa, they will donate a dollar to the make a wish foundation.  So my sister and I did that, and I'd also like to let my key club know so that maybe we could all do that as well.  Speaking of Key Club, every year we have a Christmas party for underprivilaged kids in the district, and I always love helping out with that.  Every child gets a whole box of presents, and it's really special, because those are probably the only gifts those kids will recieve at Christmas time.  My favorite part is dancing with all the little kids, and watching them open teir presents.  It warms my heart to see their faces light up with every little thing they get!  And they're the sweetest little kids ever, too.  The party this year is the 21st, and I can't wait!  Well, that's all I have to say for now, I miss you, I love you, and I hope to see you real soon!
Love,
Lexi ;-)

(P.S. I hope I can meet your mommy REALLY soon!!!)
We did it!

Jena

• happy bibliophile, and "crazy" cat lady
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 12:20:58 am »
I just PM'ed you my letter, Val. Thanks for putting the book together. Big hug

Valerie

• Founding Backup #395
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 12:52:24 am »
These are wonderful! Anyone else want to contribute? I will start putting the book together and will post pictures before I send it.
   Vegas Vamp