Author Topic: Scholarship Chat 3: Notes  (Read 2536 times)

Desiree

• Founding Backup #730 - mdoolittle @Jmoffet Can't believe I'm saying this, but listen to @swain1856
  • Web site Team
Scholarship Chat 3: Notes
« on: October 18, 2009, 03:32:08 am »
Notes from the last Scholarship meeting:

1. Maria will follow up with Patrick about the script for the scholarship video.
Maria sent 2 emails to patrick.  He hasn't replied yet but he has the script.  Sara has the video.  When we left off, we were trying to find someone to read the script for the video.  Valerie has a beautiful voice; would she read it?
The video was made at Music Jam; Melinda's talking about the music scholarship.  It was filmed it in one of the rooms ind D&B during music jam.  It's about 3 minutes in length but it has to be edited.  Maria will follow up with Patrick again.

Maria will call Patrick since we found out he doesn't have reliable internet access at the moment.

2. Spare Change update (working to get $1000 so Des's company can match it)
Sparechange has made $127 so far.   Anyone can use paypal and donate to this address sparechange@melindasbackups.com
No additional donations.

3. any progress on the benefit concert (Is Melinda interested?)
Cathy has drafted the letter to Kelley.  Maria and Cathy will send it out this week.  So in our next meeting hopefully we will at least know if Melinda's interested, then maybe we can talk more concrete details for a benefit.
Still need to send Kelley the email.  Hopefully by tomorrow.

4. Des's letter to terry Fator (when to write?)
Haven't started but my goal is to have Terry Fator's letter written by the end of the month.
Still haven't started so I guess I'd better get it written next weekend.  

5. Do we need tie-ins to write to other celebrities?
Babz will update the VIP list on the board so we have current contact information and new names need to be added as well.
Babz got the list updated!  Thanks Babz.  Does anyone want to get started writing a letter?

6. Donna's raffle idea (Can we start selling tickets; are the baskets ready?)
About the gift baskets, Donna said she almost has them ready and she'll post pictures when she gets them together.
Donna should have the baskets done soon.

7. Christmas is coming up. Is it a good time for the Ebay auction?
We could make Christmas baskets as gifts.  One basket for containing gifts for Moms, one basket with gifts for Dads, etc.  Need to check with Holly or Babz and find out if the seller is the only person who can ship the sold goods.  Ideally, we want to use one Ebay account but it might be a pain for all the backups to have to ship the goods to one person and then they get shipped again when they sell.  Some possible auction items: Jewelry, Ipods, Internet radios, and media players.  The first order of business is to talk to Holly or Babz and see who's willing to be entrusted with so many goods, and who would have time to do the auction.  This week, Maria will talk to Babz and Holly and Jena will learn more about Ebay from the tutorials.  Maybe we open an Ebay store? (That may be later.)  And Jena will start a topic about the online garage sale.
Maria will take pictures of the jewelry she has to sell and send them to Holly.  Also vintage girls' dresses and iPods.

8. any ideas for Christmas projects that will benefit the scholarship
Encourage people to donate to the Scholarship as part of the Christmas book that we give to Melinda for Christmas.  If we can endow the Scholarship this year, it could be Melinda's Christmas present.  And it could have it's own page in the book.
Perhaps suggest people make a small Scholarship donation as part of their Christmas project and emphasize that we are getting close to endowing the scholarship and wouldn't it be great if it could happen at Christmastime?  Also we need to send out a mass email about the project the week before Thanksgiving.

9. any new project ideas at all
None at this time.
Nothing new was suggested.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

mcaro05

• Founding Backup #753
  • Lively, compassionate, gracious, introspective.
Re: Scholarship Chat 3: Notes
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 03:54:21 am »
Thanks Des...I was thinking about selling my old formal dance dresses and using the money for the scholarship.  Dunno

Desiree

• Founding Backup #730 - mdoolittle @Jmoffet Can't believe I'm saying this, but listen to @swain1856
  • Web site Team
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 04:04:07 am »
Good idea Megan.  Talk to Holly if you need help.

Also wanted people to know the next Scholarship meeting will be in 3 weeks on Saturday, Nov 7th.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 08:01:48 pm by Desiree »
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Desiree

• Web site Team
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 08:02:17 pm »
Good idea Megan.  Talk to Holly if you need help.

Also wanted people to know the next Scholarship meeting will be in 3 weeks on Saturday, Nov 7th.

The day has been changed to Friday, Nov 6th at 9:30 PM ET.

Desiree

• Web site Team
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 06:35:12 pm »
Hey, what's the status on the scholarship video?  It just occurred to me that if we can get that done, we can use it to promote the Belmont Fundraiser that we are also working on.  Did Maria ever get the script from Patrick?  Did she ever call him?  I'll try to remember to ask her this weekend but please don't rely on my memory.  Everyone please help out by sending Maria emails and texts asking about it.   Thumbs Up

Jena

• happy bibliophile, and "crazy" cat lady
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 09:04:50 pm »
I PM'ed Patrick, and heard from him a few weeks ago,  He had written a script, and thought it had been delivered (I think he had asked one of his employees to Email it).  The last thing I heard is that he was searching for it (maybe on his computer), and that if he couldn't find it, he could easily rewrite it.
I doubt that Maria has it, because I haven't heard anything else from Patrick.

Desiree

• Web site Team
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 09:31:39 pm »
I PM'ed Patrick, and heard from him a few weeks ago,  He had written a script, and thought it had been delivered (I think he had asked one of his employees to Email it).  The last thing I heard is that he was searching for it (maybe on his computer), and that if he couldn't find it, he could easily rewrite it.

Does Patrick know about the Belmont benefit being planned?  It might not hurt to ask if he has made any progress on finding or rewriting the script.  Or even just to get his thoughts on it and have someone else write it.  We need to get going on this project or else give up on it!  This was started at Music Jam.  Wasn't that two years ago?   Brick wall  

Desiree

• Web site Team
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 09:48:21 pm »
By the way, who has a copy of the video Melinda made for us?  Maybe I can do something before the fundraiser if I can get a copy of the video.  I was clearing space on one of my external hard drives last night and came across the two Idol clips I sent to Sara for possible including in the video.  At least I still have those.   Thumbs Up

ghopper

• Founding Backup #492
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 10:20:32 pm »
I PM'ed Patrick, and heard from him a few weeks ago,  He had written a script, and thought it had been delivered (I think he had asked one of his employees to Email it).  The last thing I heard is that he was searching for it (maybe on his computer), and that if he couldn't find it, he could easily rewrite it.

Does Patrick know about the Belmont benefit being planned?  It might not hurt to ask if he has made any progress on finding or rewriting the script.  Or even just to get his thoughts on it and have someone else write it.  We need to get going on this project or else give up on it!  This was started at Music Jam.  Wasn't that two years ago?   Brick wall  

FYI... I never received the script.  I asked Patrick about it a long time ago and he said he had one of his employees email it to me.  But I never received it.  And, yep, that was 2 years ago.
  Late Night Vamp Club
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What you are is God's gift to you;  What you make of yourself is your gift to God.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jena

• happy bibliophile, and "crazy" cat lady
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 10:49:27 pm »
It was a month ago when i last wrote him about it, but he's on so rarely, it's hard to keep in touch with him.  I'm not sure if he knows about the benefit concert, but I think he does.