Author Topic: Brainstorm ways to increase membership of Melindas Backups  (Read 15707 times)

mcaro05

• Founding Backup #753
  • Lively, compassionate, gracious, introspective.
Re: Brainstorm ways to increase membership of Melindas Backups
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2009, 09:09:36 pm »
2 and 1-B  Thumbs Up

Indigo54

« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2009, 09:15:34 pm »
I vote #1 and 1-B

No offense but that bit about " tapping their toes, jumping out of their seats, or putting a little shake in that bootie? "  just ain't happening.  I NEVER hear that kinda talk on dance stations any more - not in the ATL anyway.

Elcondado

• Founding Backup #603, Cathy
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2009, 06:02:39 am »
I vote #1 and 1-B

No offense but that bit about " tapping their toes, jumping out of their seats, or putting a little shake in that bootie? "  just ain't happening.  I NEVER hear that kinda talk on dance stations any more - not in the ATL anyway.

No offense taken...I appreciate eveyone's thoughts....What I was trying to do, unsuccessfully, Brick wall was to take a stab at something mentioned in the Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook...which is to grab the media with your info....this wouldn't be anything they would repeat on the radio....it's something we might send to the radio stations to get their attention about the song we are asking that they play...one example given in the book was the difference between the following 2 approaches.....

1) "I have a good band.  We have gotten airplay in our region.  I would love for you to give us some exposure in your state too.  We could really use it."
(OK...pretty lame...and the station would probably say...why would I want to help you..who care...)

2) "Come on, admit it.  You've always wondered what true Celtic musicians wear under their kilts.  Well, you may get a chance to find out when the Blazing Scots come to your town next month.  We may not bare our private parts for you, but we will certainly bare our souls as we pour our Angus-infected heritage into a two hour marathon of lusty bagpipe magic."

"Your readers will thank you for sharing us with them, and you'll be glad you did.  Call..........right now to get your own copy of our new CD and a FREE Keltic Karma T-shirt.  Call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  Bonnie, the Blazing Scots answering machine, is standing by."

Using tongue in cheek humor, and a "you" oriented approach, is what works per Guerrilla Marketing....The book suggests you speak directly to the media person, and tell them what's in it for them to play your music.  Address their needs, rather than your own. 

So, that was where I was trying to go with 2 b and 2 c. Duh...if anyone wants to take a stab at a catchy copy that would be great....

In the meantime, I will send both 1 and 2 to Louise who can make her choice, as the vote was a 2 to 2 tie....and 1B....

Thanks again for the votes and feedback.... Thumbs Up

Indigo54

« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2009, 05:09:57 pm »
No offense taken...I appreciate eveyone's thoughts....What I was trying to do, unsuccessfully,  was to take a stab at something mentioned in the Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook...which is to grab the media with your info....this wouldn't be anything they would repeat on the radio....it's something we might send to the radio stations to get their attention about the song we are asking that they play....

Totally understand. My reaction was visceral, I'm no expert.  I just got that "dip in your hip, glide in your slide" feel when I read it and so did a few other people I sampled it on.  I guess I'm more used to this sorta thing:

Here’s the flavor your listeners have been waiting (fiening) for.  Add the new remix of It's Your Love to your playlist now. This joint (jam, song) will rock the house.

Same meaning, different vernacular.  I'm cool either way.

hilarious