Author Topic: Books about promoting music on the internet  (Read 6998 times)

Desiree

• Founding Backup #730 - mdoolittle @Jmoffet Can't believe I'm saying this, but listen to @swain1856
  • Web site Team
Books about promoting music on the internet
« on: June 25, 2009, 01:14:45 am »
If anyone is interested in doing some research about how to promote Melinda's music on the internet, here are some books that Cathy and I have identified that look helpful.  We can post tips and links from the books as we find them.

How to Promote Your Music Successfully on the Internet (I have this one and am reading it.)
Internet Music Promotion 101 by David Nevue
http://www.musicbizacademy.com/bookstore/htpromotemusic.htm (Available as pdf file or book.)

The 2009 Indie Bible - Tenth Edition (Also available as a pdf file or book.  Both Cathy and I have this one.)
by David Wimble
http://www.indiebible.com/toc.shtml
http://www.musicbizacademy.com/bookstore/indiecontactbible.htm

Web Marketing for the Music Business (Paperback)
by Tom Hutchison (Author)
http://www.amazon.com/Web-Marketing-Music-Business-Hutchison/dp/0240810449/ref=pd_sim_b_3
http://www.amazon.com/Web-Marketing-Music-Business-Hutchison/dp/0240810449/ref=pd_sim_b_3#reader (Chapter 7 is about increasing visitors to your website)

All You Need to Know About the Music Business 6th Edition...Cathy has this one.
Passman D; Hardcover

This Business of Artist Management (Hardcover)
by Jr. Xavier M. Frascogna (Author), H. Lee Hetherington (Author)

Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook: 201 Self-Promotion Ideas for Songwriters, Musicians and Bands on a Budget (Revised & Updated)....Cathy has this one.
Bob Baker; Paperback

The Self-Promoting Musician....Srategies for Independent Music Success....Cathy has this and is currently reading...
Peter Spellman
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 02:05:29 am by Elcondado »
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Desiree

• Founding Backup #730 - mdoolittle @Jmoffet Can't believe I'm saying this, but listen to @swain1856
  • Web site Team
Re: Books about promoting music on the internet
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 01:52:24 am »
One neat website mentioned in the first book is https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

If you enter a phrase, the site will return google searches that people have done in the last 12 months and the average number of times people search for that phrase monthly.

For example, averaged over the last year, there have been 74,000 searches done every month on the phrase "Melinda Doolittle" but there have been 135,000 searches on "my funny valentine" every month.  That means people search for "my funny valentine" nearly twice as often as they search for "Melinda Doolittle".  Now here is how this tool is useful.  If you go to http://www.google.com and search for Melinda Doolittle, you will find that her official site is the very first one returned.  So far, so good.  But if you go to google and search for "my funny valentine", you won't find Melinda's official site, MelindasBackups or a YouTube clip of Melinda performing MFV returned (at least not in the first 10 google pages).  Now that is just wrong!

Melinda's official site doesn't mention My Funny Valentine anywhere that I can see which is why it's not returned.  That's one reason I suggested Melinda blog about how she chose which songs to sing on Idol.  (That and because I'm curious what made her pick the songs she did.)  Hopefully blogging will help associate her name with the songs she sang while on Idol.  Since the google search engine never sees My Funny Valentine mentioned anywhere on Melinda's site, it doesn't know to associate that song with Melinda.  It may be that if Melinda blogs about My Funny Valentine and other AI songs that blogspot.com gets credited with the information.  That's okay because even if the google search engine returns mdoolittlesblog.blogspot.com, it has a link to take people to her official site.  So that's one way to get more people to visit her site.

Now, "My Funny Valentine" is mentioned on the MelindasBackups "Melinda's Musical Career" static page several times.  However, search engines do give more weight to the title of a page.  So the problem with MelindasBackups not being returned may be that My Funny Valentine is not contained in the title of the page.

Now if you search for "My Funny Valentine", the video on the MelindasBackups YouTube channel is the sixth item in YouTube's list.  Not bad.  But on google, it only lists the two YouTube clips with over 200,000 views which belong to Chet Baker and Chris Botti.  Our clip of Melinda singing MFV has 75,000 views.  Now if you hit the video link on the google search of "My Funny Valentine", it will show up as the fifth video.  I'm just not sure how many people do that.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 08:50:38 pm by Desiree »
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

sueintucson

• Founding Backup #676
  • intelligent, diplomatic, inquisitve, serene
    • Melinda Doolittle Backup
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 07:23:56 am »
I'll help with the research!   banana dance

I ordered "All You Need to Know about the Music Business" from my library & "Web Marketing for the Music Business" from Amazon.   Thumbs Up
Sue

www.myspace.com/sueintucson

Stand often in the company of dreamers:
  they tickle your common sense & believe you can achieve
  things which are impossible.
          maryanne radmacher

Desiree

• Web site Team
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 07:33:06 am »

I ordered "All You Need to Know about the Music Business" from my library & "Web Marketing for the Music Business" from Amazon.   Thumbs Up

Awesome! High five

Alan

• Founding Backup #372
  • cool, steely master technophile.
    • Chandler's Zen
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 12:20:23 am »
One neat website mentioned in the first book is https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

If you enter a phrase, the site will return google searches that people have done in the last 12 months and the average number of times people search for that phrase monthly.

For example, averaged over the last year, there have been 74,000 searches done every month on the phrase "Melinda Doolittle" but there have been 135,000 searches on "my funny valentine" every month.  That means people search for "my funny valentine" nearly twice as often as they search for "Melinda Doolittle".  Now here is how this tool is useful.  If you go to http://www.google.com and search for Melinda Doolittle, you will find that her official site is the very first one returned.  So far, so good.  But if you go to google and search for "my funny valentine", you won't find Melinda's official site, MelindasBackups or a YouTube clip of Melinda performing MFV returned (at least not in the first 10 google pages).  Now that is just wrong!

Melinda's official site doesn't mention My Funny Valentine anywhere that I can see which is why it's not returned.  That's one reason I suggested Melinda blog about how she chose which songs to sing on Idol.  (That and because I'm curious what made her pick the songs she did.)  Hopefully blogging will help associate her name with the songs she sang while on Idol.  Since the google search engine never sees My Funny Valentine mentioned anywhere on Melinda's site, it doesn't know to associate that song with Melinda.  It may be that if Melinda blogs about My Funny Valentine and other AI songs that blogspot.com gets credited with the information.  That's okay because even if the google search engine returns mdoolittlesblog.blogspot.com, it has a link to take people to her official site.  So that's one way to get more people to visit her site.

Now, "My Funny Valentine" is mentioned on the MelindasBackups "Melinda's Musical Career" static page several times.  However, search engines do give more weight to the title of a page.  So the problem with MelindasBackups not being returned may be that My Funny Valentine is not contained in the title of the page.

Now if you search for "My Funny Valentine", the video on the MelindasBackups YouTube channel is the sixth item in YouTube's list.  Not bad.  But on google, it only lists the two YouTube clips with over 200,000 views which belong to Chet Baker and Chris Botti.  Our clip of Melinda singing MFV has 75,000 views.  Now if you hit the video link on the google search of "My Funny Valentine", it will show up as the fifth video.  I'm just not sure how many people do that.

I'm not sure I followed all of that, but I can change any of our static pages to have additional keywords. So for instance, I have just added My Funny Valentine as a keyword to our index page and to the Music Career Page

Desiree

• Web site Team
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 04:37:53 am »

I'm not sure I followed all of that, but I can change any of our static pages to have additional keywords. So for instance, I have just added My Funny Valentine as a keyword to our index page and to the Music Career Page

Uh oh, I'm not explaining very well if you didn't follow that Alan.  LOL sign

I was reading up on how to optimize web pages for search engines.  "My Funny Valentine" is a very common search so my goal is to direct people who search for that song to a site that tells them about Melinda's version of the song.

When you say you added My Funny Valentine as a keyword, are you talking about meta tags like this?  <META Name="keywords" Content="my funny valentine">
They aren't even used by the major search engines anymore.

The most important item to search engines is the html <TITLE> of the page.  It's the number one thing that draws traffic to a web site via the search engines.  What would you say about giving MFV it's own page?  After all, Melinda released it as a single.

The second most important factor to search engines is relevancy.  Search engines tend to sort pages on the density of keywords or key phrases within a document.  Search engines tend to give more importance to text that appears high in the page, usually in the first paragraph or so.  Another way to improve our relevancy rating is to keep our web page relatively short.  I think our Music page fails here.  Another reason to look at breaking it into two or more pages.

Alan, if I spend some time and figure out how we could split the music page into two or more different web pages (I may ask some backups to help with this), would you be willing and have the time available to update the site?

Alan

• Founding Backup #372
  • cool, steely master technophile.
    • Chandler's Zen
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 07:52:18 am »

Uh oh, I'm not explaining very well if you didn't follow that Alan.  LOL sign

No it just had been a long day - as I just flew in from abroad and the flight had been delayed an hour  Crying

Alan, if I spend some time and figure out how we could split the music page into two or more different web pages (I may ask some backups to help with this), would you be willing and have the time available to update the site?

Of course - the page needs updating anyway as you will see when you look carefully.

Elcondado

• Founding Backup #603, Cathy
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 02:11:27 am »

Yay banana dance Dancing Banana....thanks so much Sue....you are the Master at reading and highlighting the key points.... Thanks Thanks Super excited

sueintucson

• Founding Backup #676
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 03:56:28 am »
Thanks, Cathy, for the compliment!  It may take awhile though for me to get to the web marketing book.  Brick wall  Today I noticed my mail carrier leaving a package at my door.  I was surprised when she just walked away, because she usually rings the doorbell, but she didn't.

When I went out to get the package, it was battered, beaten up, ripped apart, & EMPTY.  Yikes  Yikes  (I'd order 2 other books also.)  All over it was stamped RECEIVED WITHOUT CONTENT AT TUCSON, AZ & RECEIVED DAMAGED AT TUCSON, AZ.

So I called Amazon, & they're sending the books again.  But please don't be holding your breath for my review!   Well DUH   Rolling On Floor Laughing Rolling On Floor Laughing 
Sue

maryanne radmacher

Elcondado

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 07:52:19 am »
Thanks, Cathy, for the compliment!  It may take awhile though for me to get to the web marketing book.  Brick wall  Today I noticed my mail carrier leaving a package at my door.  I was surprised when she just walked away, because she usually rings the doorbell, but she didn't.

When I went out to get the package, it was battered, beaten up, ripped apart, & EMPTY.  Yikes  Yikes  (I'd order 2 other books also.)  All over it was stamped RECEIVED WITHOUT CONTENT AT TUCSON, AZ & RECEIVED DAMAGED AT TUCSON, AZ.

So I called Amazon, & they're sending the books again.  But please don't be holding your breath for my review!   Well DUH   Rolling On Floor Laughing Rolling On Floor Laughing 

WOW..sounds like you've got some book batterers in your neighborhood.... Crying Crying Crying Crying  Glad Amazon is to the rescue for you...but I love the image of the mail carrier leaving an empty beaten up package at your door...I mean, like...why bother??? Rolling On Floor Laughing Rolling On Floor Laughing...so I won't hold my breath for your reviews, but once the books find their way to your house, I know you will do a stellar job at synthesizing the pertinent information.... Huzzah! Huzzah!  so the wait will be well worth it.... Super excited  Thumbs Up Thanks

sueintucson

• Founding Backup #676
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 03:51:15 am »
Cathy,

Did I see that you got "All You Need to Know about the Music Business, 6th Edition" by Donald Passman?  I got it at the library.  Do you want me to review it, or do you want to? It doesn't have much about the internet, if that's our focus.  Crying
Sue

maryanne radmacher

Elcondado

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 04:05:49 am »
Cathy,

Did I see that you got "All You Need to Know about the Music Business, 6th Edition" by Donald Passman?  I got it at the library.  Do you want me to review it, or do you want to? It doesn't have much about the internet, if that's our focus.  Crying

Sue...If you would be willing to review it that would be great...I'm still working on the first book...ugh!!! You are after all, the premier reviewer... Well DUH Thanks

sueintucson

• Founding Backup #676
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 11:34:32 pm »
Review of "All You Need to Know about the Music Business, Sixth Edition" by Donald S. Passman (2006)

This book is really aimed at new musicians who are attempting to break into the music business.  There are chapters about picking a team, including personal & business managers, attorneys, & agents.  Next it goes into how the industry is structured, including major & independent labels, records & the masters, & royalties & how to compute them, as well as advances.  It does say there's the possibility of streaming on demand of audio & video on the internet, & that some artists broadcast their concerts over the internet.  The book covers copyright basics & secondary publishing income, such as printed music & electronic transmissions, including digital downloads, ring tones, webcasting, subscription services, & podcasting.

Since the book seems aimed at beginning artists, there is info on songwriter deals, as well as copublishing & administration deals.  Next, touring is discussed, as well as tour & retail merchandising.  Classical music & motion picture/film, including soundtracks, receive their own chapters.  The author did note that a lot of marketing for concerts is now being handled via the internet.  Over 80% of all tickets are now sold over the internet, so it's important to have visibility & presence on the Web.

Promotion & the internet receive almost no treatment. I believe this may be partly due to the fact that this is the 6th ed. of a book first published in 1991, before the internet became such an important place.  There are some links to sites where the musician can discover whether or not his/her or the group's name has already been used by someone else!

'Sorry, but this book doesn't really provide much info on how to promote either Melinda or the Backups....
Sue

maryanne radmacher

Desiree

• Web site Team
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 12:03:29 am »
My book has lots of ideas, I just haven't had time to post them.  One more thing to add to my list.   Freaking Out

Right now, I'm realizing that a lot of news stations have taken down their videos from the American Stars tour.  A lot of great videos are gone.  In the future, I would like help with saving them and uploading them to YouTube.  Anyone with Firefox can help.  Just contact me for details.

Weezzy7

• Founding Backup #741
  • Official News Seeker
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 12:06:20 am »
My book has lots of ideas, I just haven't had time to post them.  One more thing to add to my list.   Freaking Out

Right now, I'm realizing that a lot of news stations have taken down their videos from the American Stars tour.  A lot of great videos are gone.  In the future, I would like help with saving them and uploading them to YouTube.  Anyone with Firefox can help.  Just contact me for details.
Ouch that is pretty sad sure some peoples still are post in you tube.