Author Topic: The Spectrum: Short interview before Tuacahn, UT concert  (Read 1524 times)

Weezzy7

• Founding Backup #741
  • Official News Seeker
The Spectrum: Short interview before Tuacahn, UT concert
« on: May 01, 2009, 01:11:54 pm »
Idols in Concert
http://www.thespectrum.com/article/20090501/ENTERTAINMENT01/905010331/Comedian+Regan+dominates+three+nights+at+Tuacahn
Although Brian Regan dominates next weekend, four American Idols will storm the Tuacahn stage tonight.

Chikezie Eze, Melinda Doolittle, Gina Glocksen and Phil Stacey will represent the popular FOX reality show in Southern Utah, the final stop on their tour.

The Spectrum & Daily News caught up with one of the Idols, Doolittle, on Tuesday to ask her about today's show.

Doolittle placed third during the sixth season of "American Idol" in 2007, yet she garnered some of the most lavish praise from the show's notoriously cruel judge, Simon Cowell, who referred to her as a "tiger" and said she should have rightfully taken first place that season.

"Of course it feels amazing," Doolittle says of the praise. "I'm very, very honored because it's hard to get Simon to say something nice."

Doolittle sang professionally as a backup singer for a variety of artists - from Michael McDonald and Aaron Neville to Alabama and Jonny Lang - before auditioning for "American Idol." She says singing in so many different styles helped prepare her for competing on the show.

The challenge, she says, was to not think like a background singer when performing in the lead role. She had to figure out how she wanted to interpret the songs.

She wowed the judges with her version of "My Funny Valentine," which Cowell called "incredible."

Doolittle just released her first album, "Coming Back To You," in February. Like much of the music she performed on "American Idol," the album follows a classic soul and R&B sound.

(3 of 3)

As a Christian, Doolittle says she has enjoyed performing with singers like Michael W. Smith. She had performed on two Christmas tours with the contemporary Christian musician.

She's also had the chance to sing with many gospel artists. She says they proved to be great examples for her not only as singers but also as people.

"It kind of showed me your life off stage is just as important as your life onstage," Doolittle says. "Who you are is so important."

When it comes to being onstage, though, Doolittle is particularly excited to sing at Tuacahn where one of her personal idols, Gladys Knight, recently performed.

"I'm just honored to be on the same stage as Gladys Knight," Doolittle says. "She is one of my personal idols. I really look up to her."

When they take the stage tonight, Doolittle says she and the other Idols plan to mix things up a bit. They won't merely offer solo performance, but will collaborate often throughout the night.

Among Doolittle's collaborations will be a performance of "For Good" - from the musical "Wicked" - with Glocksen, and a duet of "If I Ain't Got You" with Stacey, which she says is a personal highlight.

Because tonight's performance is the final concert of their tour, Doolittle says it will be the best.

"We just get out there and try to have a good time," she says. "We're having fun and want the others to have fun."

The show begins at 8 p.m. and tickets run from $19.50 to $29.50. They are available at www.tuacahn.com or by calling (800) 746-9882.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 11:31:33 pm by Desiree »

hilarious