Author Topic: Meet American Idol Melinda Doolittle at the 2009 EW Awards Exceptional Women  (Read 2547 times)

Weezzy7

• Founding Backup #741
  • Official News Seeker
Exceptional Women 2009
Now more than ever, we all need a little inspiration!

Exceptional Women chase their dreams until they come true! Sometimes all you need is a dream to inspire you. Join MAGIC 106.7's Candy O'Terry and Gay Vernon as they shine the spotlight on 6 Exceptional Women who know how it feels to make dreams come true. The 12th Annual Exceptional Women Awards will be held on May 8th from 12-2 at the Westin Copley Place.  Hosted by MAGIC 106.7: Nancy Quill, Mike Addams & Dan Justin, presented by Jordan's Furniture!  A portion of the proceeds to benefit The American Cancer Society’s “Making Strides Against Breast Cancer”.

Get your tickets for the 12th Annual Exceptional Women Awards today!  Order by phone at 617-822-6534 or click HERE to purchase on-line right now!

Meet our Exceptional Women

Melinda Doolittle
Rising Star
Melinda Doolittle became a household name in 2007 when she finished 3rd on American Idol. A graduate of Belmont University with a degree in music, Melinda became a back-up singer for Michael McDonald, Aaron Neville and CeCe Winans. She didn’t want to audition for American Idol, but her girlfriends talked her into it. She recalls waiting in line for 12 hours with sixteen thousand people! All three judges praised Melinda for the passion and power behind her voice and proclaimed: “You’re through to Hollywood!” Her debut album Coming Back to You features “It’s Your Love.” Melinda devotes her time to The Boys & Girls Clubs of America and a grassroots organization called The League, empowering children to make positive changes in their neighborhoods.

http://www.greatermedia.com/press/detail.php?ID=487

American Idol Melinda Doolittle Sings “I’m A Woman” to a Room Full of Exceptional Women
MAGIC 106.7 will celebrate the Annual Exceptional Women Awards presented by Jordan’s Furniture on Friday, May 8th, 2009 from noon – 2pm at the Westin Copley Place in Boston.

Here’s a quick look at our honorees. Six women who chased their dreams until they came true!

Rising Star Category: Melinda Doolittle
Melinda Doolittle became a household name in 2007 when she finished 3rd on American Idol, but few people know that she was tone deaf as a child. A graduate of Belmont University with a degree in music, Melinda became a back-up singer for Michael McDonald, Aaron Neville and Cece Winans. Her debut album Coming Back to You features her first single “It’s Your Love”.

Business Category: Marilyn Carlson Nelson
Marilyn Carlson Nelson is the chairman of Carlson, a group of companies providing travel, hotel, restaurant and marketing services worldwide. Carlson employs more than 160,000 people in 150 countries and is made up of powerful brands, including Radisson, Regent and Park Plaza Hotels & Resorts, T.G.I. Friday’s and Carlson Wagonlit Travel. When Marilyn first got started in the business world 50 years ago, she had to hide her gender, using only her initials to sign her name so that clients never knew she was a woman. This wife, mother and grandmother is the author or the book How We Lead Matters: Reflections on A Life of Leadership.

Courage Category: Marylou Sudders
Marylou Sudders is the president and CEO of the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children. She is the former Massachusetts commissioner of Mental Health and serves on the Governor’s Commission on Children’s Mental Health and Sexual and Domestic Abuse. Her mission in life was shaped by the obstacles she faced head on when Mary Lou became an orphan at 17. She received a full scholarship to Boston University and graduated with dual degrees while working two jobs, often sleeping in her car.

Community Service Category: Sister Bridget Haase
Sister Bridget Haase knows a lot about the human spirit. A member of the Ursuline Religious Order, she has spent 40 years as a teacher, enriching the hearts and minds of children wherever she finds them: Boston, Appalachia, Mexico, Senegal and refugee camps in the Sudan. Sister Bridget also runs the Spirituality & Wellness Program at The Boston Home, where she helps people with long-term neurological diseases like MS and ALS find strength and peace in their daily lives. A breast cancer survivor, Sister Bridget says it is her mission to “give back every day of her life.”

Healthcare Category: Frederica M. Williams
When she was growing up in Sierra Leone, Frederica Williams was taught “not to forget the other person.” What she learned as a child has become her mantra as an adult. Educated at the London School of Accountancy, Frederica emigrated to the United States where she made Boston her home in 1984. She is putting her knowledge into action every day at the Whittier Street Health Center in Roxbury where she has been president and CEO since 2002. She is a champion in the fight for equality in healthcare.

Communicator Category: Mary Pope Osborne
Mary Pope Osborne is the author of the world-renowned Magic Tree House series of children’s books. Since its debut in 1992, the series has sold more thank 56 million copies in North America. The Adventures of Jack and Annie and the Magic Tree House have instilled a love of reading and enthusiasm for history in children around the world. Mary has teamed with her husband, Will Osborne, to create Magic Tree House: The Musical, which is currently touring the United States.

A portion of the proceeds from the Annual Exceptional Women Awards will benefit the American Cancer Society’s Making Strides Against Breast Cancer.

The Annual Exceptional Women Awards are presented by Jordan’s Furniture. Supporting sponsors include: Care.com, Edible Arrangements, Dunkin Donuts, Lago by California Closets, Tufts Health Plan, Natura by Benjamin Moore, The Home Depot, Comcast, Long’s Jewelers, The Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway Conservancy, “Pink” by Yellowglen and “Spring Awakening” at the Colonial Theatre.

For more information, log onto MAGIC1067.com, or to schedule an interview with an honoree, artist, Candy O’Terry or Gay Vernon, please contact Rob Hogan,/a> at 617-822-6552.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 07:33:51 pm by Desiree »

angel4peace

Thanks , Louise, Yes, Melinda truly is an Exceptional Woman and I am so glad the rest of the world is seeing this!!!  Huzzah! Huzzah!

Babz

My boss told me about this a few weeks ago. It's being held about 5 minutes from where I work. The tickets are very expensive, but maybe we'll run into each other  LOL sign

Weezzy7

• Founding Backup #741
  • Official News Seeker
Cool Babz hope you going   Huzzah! Huzzah!

angel4peace

Wow, I posted it on my FB page and already two woman have written to me to see if this was open to the public because they want to attend... awesome!  Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!

OldSchool80s

My boss told me about this a few weeks ago. It's being held about 5 minutes from where I work. The tickets are very expensive, but maybe we'll run into each other  LOL sign

Does the restraining order mean nothing to you, Babz?  LOL sign LOL sign

Desiree

• Founding Backup #730 - mdoolittle @Jmoffet Can't believe I'm saying this, but listen to @swain1856
Wow, I posted it on my FB page and already two woman have written to me to see if this was open to the public because they want to attend... awesome!  Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!

Great job Nicole!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Babz

Does the restraining order mean nothing to you, Babz?  LOL sign LOL sign

Rolling On Floor Laughing Rolling On Floor Laughing apparently not

OldSchool80s

That's what I thought.   No No No No

angel4peace

Great job Nicole!

Thumbs Up I received another request tonight for more information- that make three today!!!  Huzzah! Huzzah!

Weezzy7

• Founding Backup #741
  • Official News Seeker
Sure Melinda did love that day Specially it is a honor for her!! Congrat's Melinda!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 11:25:59 pm by Desiree »

Elcondado

• Founding Backup #603, Cathy
 Thanks Louise....I'm so happy for Melinda....she is The Exceptional Woman in my book..... Super excited Super excited

Jena

• happy bibliophile, and "crazy" cat lady
Thanks Louise. Smiley