Author Topic: BeeGees night judging- share opinion here  (Read 10822 times)

#1houstonfan

• Founding Backup
  • The keeper of her cuteness!!!
BeeGees night judging- share opinion here
« on: September 29, 2007, 10:09:33 pm »
Just watched the performances from top 4 night - beegees night- and it's clear to me that there was definitely something wrong with Paula--(I won't speculate as to what)
but i was just wondering if any one thinks that the judges just sort of picked that night to be rough on Melinda because she really hadn't received any criticism from them all season (didn't deserve any either--even the bad hair on sway wasn't her fault -- it was the stylists fault!).  I loved her performances that week (and all weeks) and just wondered if anyone else thought their comments were planned before she even sang? Suspicious

Melissa

Melissa and Megan

Alan

• Founding Backup #372
  • cool, steely master technophile.
    • Chandler's Zen
Re: BeeGees night judging- share opinion here
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 10:24:49 pm »
Paula's comments were wierd, but I think Simon had it spot on (almost).

The first performance (as a performance) was weak by Melinda standards (still strong against everyone else).  What I have discovered since is that those vocals in an acoustic only environment (ie on my CD or MP3 player) are fabulous.

The HCYMABH performance and vocals were brilliant.  But..

I just wished she would choose a dress colour other than grey.

I absolutely loved her dress on IGR night for example

Lexi (LMMD)

• Founding Backup #716
  • Engaging, bright, ambitious, kind
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 01:28:15 am »
Just watched the performances from top 4 night - beegees night- and it's clear to me that there was definitely something wrong with Paula--(I won't speculate as to what)
but i was just wondering if any one thinks that the judges just sort of picked that night to be rough on Melinda because she really hadn't received any criticism from them all season (didn't deserve any either--even the bad hair on sway wasn't her fault -- it was the stylists fault!).  I loved her performances that week (and all weeks) and just wondered if anyone else thought their comments were planned before she even sang? Suspicious

Melissa

Well, it is so hard for me to ever even think about critiscizing Melinda because I love her so much, but Sway was not my favorite! Even at that though, I do agree with what you're saying...It was the "old" to the song that made it not so good. I still think that Melinda had a beautiful voice for it though. The judges did seem like they were just trying to pick out her faults...And I agree that it was probably because they hadn't been able to do that all season!
Much love to you, Alexis Big hug
We did it!

donna

• Founding Backup #695
  • Wise, strongwilled, intuitive
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 01:56:26 am »
I actually liked Sway, I guess because of the way she sang it. I didn't care for the song choice of ALAHNM or how they did her hair. That totally was not Melinda to me. She still had that great voice singing it. I almost think everything was planned for her in the beginning. With that voice, everyone knew she could walk away with being the AI. So I think in order to make it fair for the rest of the singers, they played her down a bit and took her as far as they needed too. There is no doubt, she should have one.

Lexi (LMMD)

• Founding Backup #716
  • Engaging, bright, ambitious, kind
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 02:15:24 am »
Well, yes...for competition sakes she should have DEFFINITELY won, but in a way it is better that she hasn't because idol doesn't "own" her. They can't control what songs she puts out, or what she does with her career...So this way it is better for her:) I so CANNOT WAIT until her career kicks off!!! I am beyond EXCITED!!!
Much love, Alexis Big hug
We did it!

donna

• Founding Backup #695
  • Wise, strongwilled, intuitive
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 02:38:22 am »
I agree. I was upset she didn't win but relieved because she can go out on her own.

MelindaRules1987

• Founding Backup
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 03:18:08 am »
Well, yes...for competition sakes she should have DEFFINITELY won, but in a way it is better that she hasn't because idol doesn't "own" her. They can't control what songs she puts out, or what she does with her career...So this way it is better for her:) I so CANNOT WAIT until her career kicks off!!! I am beyond EXCITED!!!
Much love, Alexis Big hug
Same here, Alexis.  I am still mad Melinda didn't win but sometimes I feel there is a part of me that is relieved that she didn't win because she didn't have to sing Jordin's awful song and she doesn't have to be tied to AI anymore.  Smiley

OldSchool80s

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 03:22:47 am »
I loved every one of her vocals including what she did on BeeGee's night.  They just majorly screwed up her look for those four weeks when Idol first took over styling her. I didn't realize she was wearing a wig at first and almost died that first time she wore that short wig . .I was like . .omg, they cut her hair too short.  I had no clue!!  I was so upset. And it took several weeks before they dressed her properly. I don't know what they were doing, but it felt intentional to me.  I think the styling problem started with As Long As He Needs Me and was corrected with Trouble is a Woman. But that was four weeks, too long with what they must pay those people and the talent they have access to.  

Still the end result was for the best.

Tiger

• Founding Backup
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 04:21:52 am »
I was just about to start a thread about HCYMABH.  I don't even know how many times I've listened to this song!  IT IS JUST AWESOME...As was Melinda's performance that night.  When she sang this 2nd BeeGee song, she knew she had to bring it because she was told to by the three judges after the first song.  And boy, did she bring it!  Her emotional connection to the song was apparent in her delivery of the words.  Randy and Simon were duly impressed and said so.

As for the judges' comments... I can see why they would like to see more from her after LYIAO.  I think Simon's comments were said to push Melinda further not vocally (because she's perfect) but more about her presentation - as the star versus as just a singer in a competition. Did that make sense?

Paula's 2nd performance comments did not make sense to me.  I cannot see how she was not touched by Melinda's spectacular performance.   

I agree, OS, the end result was for the best!
Don't look down on small beginnings - Melinda.

MelindaRules1987

• Founding Backup
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 04:30:33 am »
I was just about to start a thread about HCYMABH.  I don't even know how many times I've listened to this song!  IT IS JUST AWESOME...As was Melinda's performance that night.  When she sang this 2nd BeeGee song, she knew she had to bring it because she was told to by the three judges after the first song.  And boy, did she bring it!  Her emotional connection to the song was apparent in her delivery of the words.  Randy and Simon were duly impressed and said so.

As for the judges' comments... I can see why they would like to see more from her after LYIAO.  I think Simon's comments were said to push Melinda further not vocally (because she's perfect) but more about her presentation - as the star versus as just a singer in a competition. Did that make sense?

Paula's 2nd performance comments did not make sense to me.  I cannot see how she was not touched by Melinda's spectacular performance.   

I agree, OS, the end result was for the best!
I agree!  Paula was drinking too much that night!!!  LOL sign

OldSchool80s

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 04:32:31 am »
I agree about How Can You Mend, I think I wind up listening to that song almost more than any of the other recorded songs from iTunes.

She really took what they said after the first song to heart and worked that song over.  Girlfriend tore it up!!!  Rock On sign

Melinda

• Queen of our Hearts and Head of our most humble Family
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 04:41:44 am »
That was a rough night for me. I had changed both songs at the last minute, trying to find some songs that would work for me, but I still wasn't feeling it completely. I worked as hard as humanly possible, but you could tell I was working hard instead of me looking at ease. Also, the stylists did the best they could with my fashion ailments. I was not too flexible because I was not completely comfortable with myself, but they helped me get there.  Huzzah!
All that to say, I actually agreed with the judges that night and I will continue to apply their advice!
Love ya'll!

Tiernan

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2007, 04:50:00 am »
That was a rough night for me. I had changed both songs at the last minute, trying to find some songs that would work for me, but I still wasn't feeling it completely. I worked as hard as humanly possible, but you could tell I was working hard instead of me looking at ease. Also, the stylists did the best they could with my fashion ailments. I was not too flexible because I was not completely comfortable with myself, but they helped me get there.  Huzzah!
All that to say, I actually agreed with the judges that night and I will continue to apply their advice!
Love ya'll!

I kept telling you to relax, but would you listen?  No.  Had to go and do it your way and see what happens?  Judges weren't totally positive.  You can be very stubborn Mel.   (I can talk to her like this because we sooooo close)

Sally

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2007, 04:53:31 am »
Melinda, don't be mad at me, but I totally disagreed with the judges. ALL of your songs were top notch. And further more girl, your beautiful. Sorry Im a biased fan, hard for me to be objective with those near and dear.

shining

• Founding Backup #588
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2007, 04:56:12 am »
Oh, MELINDA!  You're always the professional!  The very few times one of the judges said anything at all negative to or about you, I wanted to scream!  It's to your credit that you are open and mindful of all that you do.  Your voice is exquisite!  Thank you for sharing your views on this!   Rose