Author Topic: This week's sales -- and a bunch of other numbers  (Read 9935 times)

samba

• Founding Backup
Re: This week's sales -- and a bunch of other numbers
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2009, 09:53:13 am »
This has evolved into a really interesting conversation. One of the reasons I'm for "Wonderful" is because I do consider myself somewhat in touch with today's music (as well as knowing a bit about music from days gone by).  I pretty much knew that "It's Your Love" would struggle with airplay (they sent it for adds on pop radio, and they would never touch it in a million years). I think "Fundemental Things" would struggle as well, though it'd be nice to be proven wrong.

There's something of an artform involved in selling "retro" music to a contemporary audience. If you look at arguably the two most sucessful "retro" singles of the past couple of years (Amy Winehouse's "Rehab" and Duffy's "Mercy"), they pretty much follow the same structural template as "Wonderful". Single word titles (with the word constantly repeated in a chorus heavy tune), catchy arrangement that feels modern and retro at the same time. And all the songs more or less get into the chorus instantly. It hooks you instantly, and doesn't let go.

The problem with "It's Your Love" and "Fundmental Things" as singles in a contemporary marketplace, is that they give the listener too much time to decide if they can get into this sort of music or not. The arrangements are very "classic" (which can read as old-fashioned to the uninitiated). In compartive terms, it takes forever to reach the chorus. The songs work well on repeated listening, but if it can't grab you within 10 to 15 seconds of it starting, then you'll start losing at lot of people unprepared to give that style of music a chance. "Fundemental Things" is probably a better song than "Wonderful", and better crafted. But that doesn't mean it'd work better as a single. "Mercy" is not the best song on Duffy's album at all. But it's the song that works best as a single for a contemporary audience. If Duffy had released "Warrick Avenue" in America as a single instead of "Mercy", she'd have struggled to find an audience. "Warrick Avenue" is a better song, but it gives the listener way too much time to decide if they can "dig" that music or not.

"Rehab" and "Mercy" worked because they grab the audience instantly, have a toe-tapping quality, and frankly, are not too complicated.   "Wonderful" works along the same lines, and that's why I consider it to be easily the best choice for a single (I actually believe the mixing and overpowering band accompaniement actually helps give it that contemporary feel lacking in some of Melinda's other songs)..
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 09:57:34 am by samba »

Weezzy7

• Founding Backup #741
  • Official News Seeker
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2009, 12:33:46 pm »
This has evolved into a really interesting conversation. One of the reasons I'm for "Wonderful" is because I do consider myself somewhat in touch with today's music (as well as knowing a bit about music from days gone by).  I pretty much knew that "It's Your Love" would struggle with airplay (they sent it for adds on pop radio, and they would never touch it in a million years). I think "Fundemental Things" would struggle as well, though it'd be nice to be proven wrong.

There's something of an artform involved in selling "retro" music to a contemporary audience. If you look at arguably the two most sucessful "retro" singles of the past couple of years (Amy Winehouse's "Rehab" and Duffy's "Mercy"), they pretty much follow the same structural template as "Wonderful". Single word titles (with the word constantly repeated in a chorus heavy tune), catchy arrangement that feels modern and retro at the same time. And all the songs more or less get into the chorus instantly. It hooks you instantly, and doesn't let go.

The problem with "It's Your Love" and "Fundmental Things" as singles in a contemporary marketplace, is that they give the listener too much time to decide if they can get into this sort of music or not. The arrangements are very "classic" (which can read as old-fashioned to the uninitiated). In compartive terms, it takes forever to reach the chorus. The songs work well on repeated listening, but if it can't grab you within 10 to 15 seconds of it starting, then you'll start losing at lot of people unprepared to give that style of music a chance. "Fundemental Things" is probably a better song than "Wonderful", and better crafted. But that doesn't mean it'd work better as a single. "Mercy" is not the best song on Duffy's album at all. But it's the song that works best as a single for a contemporary audience. If Duffy had released "Warrick Avenue" in America as a single instead of "Mercy", she'd have struggled to find an audience. "Warrick Avenue" is a better song, but it gives the listener way too much time to decide if they can "dig" that music or not.

"Rehab" and "Mercy" worked because they grab the audience instantly, have a toe-tapping quality, and frankly, are not too complicated.   "Wonderful" works along the same lines, and that's why I consider it to be easily the best choice for a single (I actually believe the mixing and overpowering band accompaniement actually helps give it that contemporary feel lacking in some of Melinda's other songs)..
Thanks to post it !

Lexi (LMMD)

• Founding Backup #716
  • Engaging, bright, ambitious, kind
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2009, 05:36:15 pm »
Yes, that would be great for her to perform on Idol, I really hope they get her on there Rose
We did it!

Indigo54

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2009, 07:44:35 pm »

"Rehab" and "Mercy" worked because they grab the audience instantly, have a toe-tapping quality, and frankly, are not too complicated.   "Wonderful" works along the same lines, and that's why I consider it to be easily the best choice for a single (I actually believe the mixing and overpowering band accompaniement actually helps give it that contemporary feel lacking in some of Melinda's other songs)..

OMG!!!  Thinking to self:  Shut-up Indigo!! Let it go.  It's all about personal preferences, not worth getting worked up over. 

Counting...1,2,3, 4....Nope, can't do it.  I've gotta fight for my song!!!

So dude...have you actually listened to Fundamental Things and when you did, did you pat your foot and nod your head up and down?  I sho' did!  It's the first cut on the CD - has to be positioned there for a reason, right?  Does anybody else hear that classic Muscle Shoals background riff, the funky guitar licks, THE SEXINESS in Mel's voice?  Please, I say if anybody can't hang around long enough to git wit this one, good luck with the other ones. 

I for one just cannot put anything on Mel's CD beside Duffy or Amy Whitehouse and make a comparison - apples and oranges.  Sure, they're all doing a retro vibe but Rehab and Mercy are not covers, are they?  They're original songs, they're not gonna be beaten against somebody else's original for comparison.  I've heard Bonnie Rait's Fundamental Things and, personally, I think Melinda's is a lot better.  Mel's Wonderful is wonderful but I can't say it's way better than Aretha's, sorry just can't do it, probably cuz I'd already heard it a zillion times before.

I'm totally not the expert some of ya'll are but I do have 2 kids and a whole buncha niecies and nephews from ages 2 to 41.  I also have a husband who DJ's on the side and Fundamental Things is the only song off this CD that he's used so far when he spins at parties.  When he plays it, people GIT UP!! 

Ok, I've calmed down now.  Gonna go play my song and shake my grove thang. 

samba

• Founding Backup
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2009, 08:46:50 pm »

OMG!!!  Thinking to self:  Shut-up Indigo!! Let it go.  It's all about personal preferences, not worth getting worked up over. 

So dude...have you actually listened to Fundamental Things and when you did, did you pat your foot and nod your head up and down?  I sho' did!  It's the first cut on the CD - has to be positioned there for a reason, right?  Does anybody else hear that classic Muscle Shoals background riff, the funky guitar licks, THE SEXINESS in Mel's voice?  Please, I say if anybody can't hang around long enough to git wit this one, good luck with the other ones. 

I for one just cannot put anything on Mel's CD beside Duffy or Amy Whitehouse and make a comparison - apples and oranges.  Sure, they're all doing a retro vibe but Rehab and Mercy are not covers, are they?  They're original songs, they're not gonna be beaten against somebody else's original for comparison.  I've heard Bonnie Rait's Fundamental Things and, personally, I think Melinda's is a lot better.  Mel's Wonderful is wonderful but I can't say it's way better than Aretha's, sorry just can't do it, probably cuz I'd already heard it a zillion times before.

I'm totally not the expert some of ya'll are but I do have 2 kids and a whole buncha niecies and nephews from ages 2 to 41.  I also have a husband who DJ's on the side and Fundamental Things is the only song off this CD that he's used so far when he spins at parties.  When he plays it, people GIT UP!! 

I didn't mean to suggest Fundamental Things wasn't a song that couldn't get you moving, grooving or nodding your head. You can do that with "It's Your Love" as well, which is having trouble connecting. It's a mistake to think anything "retro" or throwback will go over with most people, because it's allegedlly fashionable at the moment. I think most contemporary audiences still shy away from anything too authentically throwback. And Melinda is nothing if not authentic. "Fundemental Things" does it's job almost too well, like "It's Your Love". It's doesn't so much feel as updated "retro", but a song that was actually recorded in a different era. That's my opinion. "Fundamental Things" is brilliant and Melinda's voice is astoounding on it, and while it's the sort of song that might grow on contemporary audiences (you obviously know many younger fans of the song, which is great), that's the risk they took with "It's Your Love" and I don't think it paid off siginifcantly. Now is the time to play it safe, imho.

Melinda is not going to face much significant comparison with Aretha's "Wonderful". It's not  a well known song at all. You may have heard Wonderful a zillion times before, but I bet my bottom dollar that if Melinda performed it on American Idol, the vast majority of the audience won't have ever heard the song at all. Even a lot of actual professional music critics, who are supposed to have some knowledge about these things, admitted to not realising Wonderful was an Aretha Franklin cover, when they reviewed the album. If a bunch of professional critics don't immediately recognise "Wonderful" as a cover, why should the general listening public?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 08:52:34 pm by samba »

Felipe

• Baby Backup
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2009, 09:53:02 pm »
Singles, airplay, charts, you americans are so complicated. Here in Brasil, Rede Globo has this hegemony in almost every media - radio, tv, internet - so, all you have to do is to get your song on a soap soundtrack, sing it on Domingão do Faustão (sunday hit show that airs before and after the soccer matches) and boom, you're a hit. Of course you have to sign a contract in which you probably sell your soul, let the payola play it's part and what not, but you get big. If only thing where this simple over there.
By the way, thanks for your clear explanatinations on single choices and everything, Samba, if it weren't for them I'd still be in the limbo about the commercial aspects of Melinda's success Thanks

Indigo54

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2009, 10:57:31 pm »

I didn't mean to suggest Fundamental Things wasn't a song that couldn't get you moving, grooving or nodding your head. You can do that with "It's Your Love" as well, which is having trouble connecting. It's a mistake to think anything "retro" or throwback will go over with most people, because it's allegedlly fashionable at the moment. I think most contemporary audiences still shy away from anything too authentically throwback. And Melinda is nothing if not authentic. "Fundemental Things" does it's job almost too well, like "It's Your Love". It's doesn't so much feel as updated "retro", but a song that was actually recorded in a different era. That's my opinion. "Fundamental Things" is brilliant and Melinda's voice is astoounding on it, and while it's the sort of song that might grow on contemporary audiences (you obviously know many younger fans of the song, which is great), that's the risk they took with "It's Your Love" and I don't think it paid off siginifcantly. Now is the time to play it safe, imho.

Melinda is not going to face much significant comparison with Aretha's "Wonderful". It's not  a well known song at all. You may have heard Wonderful a zillion times before, but I bet my bottom dollar that if Melinda performed it on American Idol, the vast majority of the audience won't have ever heard the song at all. Even a lot of actual professional music critics, who are supposed to have some knowledge about these things, admitted to not realising Wonderful was an Aretha Franklin cover, when they reviewed the album. If a bunch of professional critics don't immediately recognise "Wonderful" as a cover, why should the general listening public?

Cool!  I'm feeling you a little more now.  Well...except for that part about dancing to It's Your Love.  I can dance my butt off but I can't do anything more than the old 1-2 with that one so I use it as a rest stop.   If I catch you trying to dance to it, I'm probably gonna laugh, sorry. 

It makes me mad that so many critics haven't heard Aretha's version of Wonderful but then again, that's really good for Melinda.  I was listening to Wonderful in the car a little while ago and I think I am  now sufficiently de-Aretha'd to roll with that one as a single.  Besides, we want many singles off this CD, don't we? 

But geez, Mel would not only sound good, but she'd Look dayum good oozing Fundamental Things on stage, ya know?   

Elcondado

• Founding Backup #603, Cathy
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2009, 05:41:28 am »
Samba,
Just wanted to say thank you for your posts and information..... Thanks You are such a wealth of info for people like me who know nothing about the music industry....and I'm enjoying the education....so I sure hope you keep posting......thanks again......  Huzzah! Huzzah!

ghopper

• Founding Backup #492
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2009, 08:57:05 am »
Samba,
Just wanted to say thank you for your posts and information..... Thanks You are such a wealth of info for people like me who know nothing about the music industry....and I'm enjoying the education....so I sure hope you keep posting......thanks again......  Huzzah! Huzzah!

I second what Cathy said.  I know I'm totally out of touch with contemporary musical taste.  But I learn something new everyday.   Thanks
  Late Night Vamp Club
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What you are is God's gift to you;  What you make of yourself is your gift to God.

Melinda

• Queen of our Hearts and Head of our most humble Family
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2009, 01:17:07 am »
Well, I sat here and debated on whether or not to even read this thread, but I am so glad I did. I love that you all care so much about the success of this record and I want you to know that I do too.... and so does everyone involved in the recording and the release of it.

Samba, I love your education. I can tell that you spend alot of time researching music and that is wonderful! (No pun intended)  LOL sign

That being said, I would love to offer my two cents. It may or may not mean anything, but I would love for you to know what is going on in my head...
My favorite part of the music business right now is how much it changes. I am in awe of how we evolve with music over time. Of course, there are those things that remain somewhat the same. Radio is amazing! It has done wonders for a single and/or a record. Right now, it does a lot for singles because of the ability to pick which song you want to purchase on an record. I am so grateful for the stations that have picked up "It's Your Love" and the ones that are starting to add as we speak. I could not do this without them. Do I think this was the right first single...yes indeed! This song is the heart of the record. It's my anthem! I am proud to sing it wherever and whenever I have the chance. It also gives me the chance to really SING! That's where I'm happiest. If that is the song I get to sing on Idol, I will be ecstatic. My experience has been that the live performance of this song hits such a huge span of audience members. What better show to sing it on than American Idol...whose largest demographic is 18-35? I can't wait!

Now, as we go from here, we will continue to release singles and my prayer is that it just gets better and better. Each single should take the record up even higher and I'm looking forward to that too. I also get excited when I look at the artists I look up to. One of my favorites right now is Adele. She is phenomenal! My favorite part about her is that she made a record...not just singles...a record! She may not have even broken the top 25 with her singles, but I consider her one of the most successful artists right now because she has perfected her craft. I learn from her performances and her drive and I can't wait to thank her someday.

So, I guess what I'm saying is...let's think outside of the box...that's how we recorded this record. More radio, more live performances, spreading the word that this entire record is something to be proud of. I'm so excited to have done a record I believe in and I will do whatever it takes to get the word out there. I couldn't have made it this far without you guys and I am so glad you always have my back!
This...among many other things...is why I love you so much!
 Big hug

I'll keep you posted on what we're up to and you keep those wonderful (dang it! I said it again!) suggestions coming! Go on and talk your talk honey...I'm listening!   Thanks

ghopper

• Founding Backup #492
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2009, 01:26:22 am »
Well, we're happy if you're happy!   Big hug   And Louise will get the word out there.   Rolling On Floor Laughing Rolling On Floor Laughing Rolling On Floor Laughing   Just kidding... we'll all work to get the word out there.   Thumbs Up

And pleeeeeeease....... sing it on Idol!!!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 01:46:11 am by ghopper »
  Late Night Vamp Club
What you are is God's gift to you;  What you make of yourself is your gift to God.

Elcondado

• Founding Backup #603, Cathy
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2009, 01:42:43 am »
Thanks so much Melinda for telling us how you feel Thanks.....and I am thrilled that you are happy with "It's Your Love". Rock On sign.....I can't wait to hear it live..... Super excited Super excited....I will renew my efforts to contact radio stations to get some play.....maybe Louise can give us all a "radio seminar" as she is the Pro...... Thumbs Up Thanks again for giving us your insights....it means so much..... Lightup

Desiree

• Founding Backup #730 - mdoolittle @Jmoffet Can't believe I'm saying this, but listen to @swain1856
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2009, 01:43:54 am »
Go on and talk your talk honey...I'm listening!   Thanks

I hear horns.  Does anyone else hear those horns playing?  I love the horns!  

Don't worry, we will do our part to get the word out Melinda.  I gave a copy of your CD to my physical therapist the week it came out.  He started playing it immediately after I left. Two patients later, a woman said, "That's Melinda!" and wanted to hear the whole CD.  Yesterday, I gave him the info about when Idols in Concert will be in Boise and he is going to pass it along.  So I'm sure, the lady and her husband will go buy your CD AND be at the concert.  Thumbs Up
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 05:13:44 am by Desiree »
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Jena

• happy bibliophile, and "crazy" cat lady
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2009, 02:23:48 am »
A phenomenal record is a phenomenal record, regardless of sales numbers, or which single is released first, or second, or third, etc.  I want this CD to do well in every arena, be listened to by everyone, win every award, sell on every record-breaking level possible, just because I cheer for what I love. Cheerleader Banana But regardless of what airplay it gets, what sells and what doesn't, one fact remains, and that is that these songs are timeless because they make you feel something.  Anyone who hears the songs will know that, whether they know anything about the music business or not, and to me, that's the hallmark of a truly remarkable record, music that makes you feel.  In twenty years, I may not be able to tell you specifically which nationally-syndicated shows Melinda appeared on on behalf of this record, or what specific awards she won for it, but I will always be able to tell you where I was when I heard "Best of Everything" for the first time, how "If I'm Not in Love" makes me feel, etc.  I know all artists want to sell lots of records and win awards, but I think the intangibles are the things which make a good record great.

I love it all! Rocker Winner Woohoo! Cheerleader Banana Huzzah!

Sally

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2009, 05:05:38 am »
Melinda, keep on singing and we will be here with you ALWAYs!! Big hug