Author Topic: Melinda and Bob Dylan's "Freewheelin"...  (Read 5714 times)

Bernie

• Founding Backup #455
Re: Melinda and Bob Dylan's "Freewheelin"...
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2008, 01:52:16 pm »
Guys, I love you all so much.  I have been following the board loosely, I haven't been totally away, but I am "awwwwed" (driven to "awww", not "awe") by your comments.  There just hasn't (recently) been much I felt I could comment on usefully until now.

Can we, ahem, ask either Melinda or one of her new reps, "Your backups want to know."  I can compose the letter (from the notions in this thread), if you wish....??    Seems fair all around...

Bernie
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 02:22:21 pm by Bernie »
Your supporter and fan in Boston, Bernie

Bernie

• Founding Backup #455
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2008, 01:54:29 pm »
There's also, of course, the fact the Melinda is looking to the side, and Dylan and Rotolo are looking forward, Melinda is on the side of the street, D & R are in the center, and, of course the number of people.

"Freewheelin'" in Bob's context means "he's singing his own stuff." Perhaps the "Freewheelin' Melinda Doolittle" means, "she's singing exactly what she wants to sing, not what AI or some external entity wants her to sing."

Bernie, this is really a remarkable reading of the cover ... I like it, and even if in the end we might find out that there is not a "wanted" relationship, we might be able to use this observation in a constructive way ... while promoting the CD! Bravo!! Huzzah!

No one in "pop" (not classical, not jazz) music has more "gravitas" than Dylan, so in that way, too, the allusion is to one of extreme seriousness about one's art.

Jessica

• Founding Backup #674
  • Her Most Excellent Majesty of the Royal Order of the Knights of Media
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2008, 03:27:31 pm »
Very interesting, Bernie!

Good to see you back! Hug

Bernie

• Founding Backup #455
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2008, 04:34:18 pm »
Hi, Jess! I was wondering when you'd notice this thread!  Hug
Interesting, no?

Bernie

• Founding Backup #455
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2008, 08:37:16 pm »
Another thing I just noticed -- the Dylan cover is in full color, and Melinda's, the photo at least, is monochrome!  The horizon is much higher (Melinda's middle, Dylan's knees) in Melinda's.

Vickster

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2008, 01:58:30 am »
Can we, ahem, ask either Melinda or one of her new reps, "Your backups want to know."  I can compose the letter (from the notions in this thread), if you wish....??    Seems fair all around...

Bernie

This is really interesting, Bern.  I'd like to know the background/idea of the cover.  Compose something not too long here, let's read it and see what you have to say.   Thumbs Up     Rock On sign

angel4peace

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2008, 02:04:30 am »

This is really interesting, Bern.  I'd like to know the background/idea of the cover.  Compose something not too long here, let's read it and see what you have to say.   Thumbs Up     Rock On sign

I agree, I find the composition fascinating! I really like the monochrome. I hope at some point we will hear more about how this cover came about from either Melinda or Kelly. I just love it!

Bernie

• Founding Backup #455
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2008, 02:22:45 am »
Hey Melinda, and your album production and publicity crew!

Congratulations on the presentation of your beautiful new album-cover, as seen on your site!   Your lovely presence graces any setting!

When I first saw your cover, I was immediately reminded of the cover of Bob Dylan's The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan from 1963, the breakthrough album on which the then-young then-folk singer first filled two sides with his own songs.  Upon closer inspection by myself and other of us (ahem) "older" backups, we noticed one resemblance after another, from the layout of the track titles to the main title coloring.  While Coming Back to You is, for you, too, a "breakthrough", for the first time presenting you on an album of your own, choosing your own repertoire, you have never heretofore mentioned Bob Dylan as a formative influence, and we would love to hear from you about how this (apparent?) homage to another top-notch "American Original" came to pass.  As you know, Bob Dylan is one of my own most formative influences and gurus/idols, and he remains a favorite of Ange and Vicki and others here, too.

So, if you'd like, we'd sure like .... to hear your telling of the connection between The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan and Coming Back to You!

Bernie, for the Backups, who all love you and can't wait for the third of February!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 03:45:55 pm by Bernie »

angel4peace

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2008, 02:26:52 am »
Awesome Bernie- just perfect Thumbs Up

Vickster

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2008, 02:49:16 am »
 Winner, Word   Winner

This is exciting, I'd love to know Spirkee's answer.  Could we pass on Bern's letter to him?   LT Promotions -- Alan or OS?   

chris-play

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2008, 03:50:06 am »
I vote for doing it. We need to know ...  Rolling On Floor Laughing
I am also assuming that they are aware of this similarity ... it would be to odd if this were not the case.

angel4peace

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2008, 05:53:13 am »
I too vote for doing it!!!

Bernie

• Founding Backup #455
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2008, 03:43:20 pm »
I vote for doing it. We need to know ...  Rolling On Floor Laughing
I am also assuming that they are aware of this similarity ... it would be to odd if this were not the case.

I added the word "(apparent?)" last night just for the small case that they were unaware.....maybe send with side-by-side, same-size pix of both albums...

Sally

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2008, 08:47:03 pm »
Thanks Bernie. Good topic and great observation. And it is good to see you. 

angel4peace

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2008, 08:59:09 pm »

Did anyone else catch Garrison Keillor on PHC Saturday Night, in his skit where Met diva Renee Fleming was involved with a (fictional) Broadway Show based on Dylan's songs, all homogenized to an uptempo-soundalike (it was actually pretty funny) ....

I missed this part  Bernie....I wonder if it is on Youtube. I love Renee Fleming, that had to be a very funny skit!