Author Topic: fundraising - the violins auction  (Read 4209 times)

chris-play

fundraising - the violins auction
« on: December 15, 2008, 03:24:49 am »
Hi everyone!

Some time ago Donna suggested to do something creative to raise funds for the Scholarship and she gave the Scholarship Committee this wonderful idea: the painted violins auction! She also posted on the boards some examples of what these violins could actually look like. This is the thread with the images
http://www.melindasbackups.com/forum/index.php?topic=1379.0

The Committee jumped on the project right away and we are getting ready! Maria was able to provide a couple of instruments that were dismissed by music schools, and we are now in search of artists to paint them!
A friend of mine, Angela, who is a professional painter and art professor, has offered to contribute to our fundraising by painting an instrument for free! I gave her the violin and she has started working on it, the first thing she had to do was to cover the wood of the instrument with a white coat (well, three white coats!), here is what it looked like hanging in her studio after the "whitening" ... :-)

I visited her yesterday and she showed me some idea for possible designs and in the end we decided for a colorful Tuscany landscape, this is an image that gives you an idea of colors and design. Of course, the final product will look much better ...  Thumbs Up I liked the colors because they remind of the colors of our logo and site

Then she said that we needed to start painting the sides, here too the first of many coats ... and asked me to help  LOL sign

But then she took over and started drawing the landscape on the violin ...

I will take more pictures in the next days when there will be a clearer idea of the landscape ... but I thought it was nice to show how the project develops.

And I also wanted to show how we can all contribute with something ... it is not always necessary to donate money. Time and creativity (as Donna and Indigo have demonstrated, too) are as valuable as money, and then we will find someone who can buy what we do, be it cupcakes, dolls or painted violins!!

Backups rock!  World Hug

donna

• Founding Backup #695
  • Wise, strongwilled, intuitive
Re: fundraising - the violins auction
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 05:12:16 am »
 Huzzah!   It's looking good. Can't wait to see the finished piece. Thanks for the pictures Cris.   Big hug

Weezzy7

• Founding Backup #741
  • Official News Seeker
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 05:14:09 am »
WOW that nice.

Sara99

• Founding Backup
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 02:13:35 pm »
Cris--I can see that you are a natural artist! Thumbs Up
The violin is going to look fabulous when it is finished!  Huzzah!
What a great idea by Donna. Please thank your friend for giving of her time to paint them for us.

Melrocks

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 04:50:08 pm »
Wow!  This is going to be a stunning piece of art.   Huzzah! Huzzah!

And let's hope that we can use it well to raise funds for a wonderful cause - the Melinda Doolittle Music Scholarship.

Great Job Cris  Thumbs Up

Babz

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 04:58:44 pm »
looks awesome Cris!!  Huzzah!

angel4peace

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 05:13:26 pm »
It looks wonderful Cris and I am sure it will be a Masterpiece when it is finished. I did not know you were an artist :-)
Great idea Donna, and thank you to Maria for the violins contributed!!!
Thank your friend for us , what a wonderful thing she is doing.
 Big hug

Vickster

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 08:22:58 pm »
Cris, look at you!   Yikes  You're a virtual Leonardo da Vinci!   Rolling On Floor Laughing Rolling On Floor Laughing

Great job, way to go!  I wanna see a picture of the finished product, too.

chris-play

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 12:54:33 pm »
I will tell Angela that you all appreciate her contribution ... I believe the violin might be ready by the end of the month. She will send me picture updates and I will post them.
Is anyone else interested in painting or finding someone who can paint a violin?

Sara99

• Founding Backup
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 02:16:59 pm »
I will tell Angela that you all appreciate her contribution ... I believe the violin might be ready by the end of the month. She will send me picture updates and I will post them.
Is anyone else interested in painting or finding someone who can paint a violin?

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who paints. Sorry. 

donna

• Founding Backup #695
  • Wise, strongwilled, intuitive
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 03:08:18 pm »
After the holidays, I am going to look for another violin and someone to paint it. Work is hectic right now because of the holiday, so hopefully after Christmas I can get a hold of another violin. I am excited about this project getting started. Our local symphony raised $7000 doing this. They had 6 violins and did a drawing. $5 a ticket or $25 for six tickets. I would like to see this project keep going if we do well with it. There are always old violins and painters out there willing to show their talent. I'm not a painter, but I might even try my hand at it.  Yikes

A big thanks to everyone getting involved in this project.   Big hug Thanks

Sally

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 05:28:11 pm »
Cris, thanks for sharing the pictures. Wow, I can't wait to see it finished. I don't know anyone who paints. Let me know if you need something done that I can do, ok?

angel4peace

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 08:30:02 pm »
Cris, thanks for the great work.... I know 2 people who paint, however, they are fairly well known in their fields and I am not sure if they would be willing to do this , however, I will ask. They are out of the country now, but I will get back to you as soon as I hear something.
 Big hug

Tiger

• Founding Backup
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 05:50:12 am »
Wow!  Thanks Cris, Angela, Donna and Maria! World Hug
Don't look down on small beginnings - Melinda.