Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 155655 times)

Introduce Yourself
« on: August 26, 2007, 11:58:18 pm »
Please use this thread to say hi and tell us a little bit about yourself!

Thanks!  Obrigado!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 12:24:57 am by Interim Leadership Team »

OldSchool80s

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 12:21:43 am »
Hi, my name is Donna, but lots of you may already know me as OldSchool80s, or simply OS. I am a 40 year old director of production for a major cable network, and I live in NJ.   I also happen to think that Melinda is the DA BOMB to the hundreth powers.

I never cared about AI in any significant way, never voted before this past season, but when I discovered Melinda something happened.  I became a power voting, carpal tunnel plagued fool from hell, or maybe heaven, since we are discussing Melinda.

I am amazed by all the incredible people I have met through my interest in Melinda. I never imagined I would make so many new friends.

Waving on the boards.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 12:46:50 am by OldSchool80s »

Alan

• Founding Backup #372
  • cool, steely master technophile.
    • Chandler's Zen
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 12:35:43 am »
I am Alan, and my avatar is me at my oldest daughters graduation 3 years ago. I am 56, married with two daughters in their 20's all of whom think I am crazy for being such a Melinda fan.

I caught her audition and vowed I would have to watch AI to see how she did.  By I'm a WOMAN I was hooked and the rest is history.

I have been in IT for 35 years - although it is a hobby to do the technical work - so setting up this site has been fun.  During the day  I am a business expert in Electricity competition and am responsible for our global strategy so that we can sell lots of IT systems to manage that competition.

Oops Oh and I forgot to mention - I am a Brit - live just outside London - so I can't understand your spelling and you won't be able to understand mine.

Edit: Forget the description of my avatar - its now me with Melinda at the after party in Franklin 9th November 2007.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 01:52:04 pm by Alan »

Bernie

• Founding Backup #455
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 12:59:49 am »
Hi, I'm Bernie (AI board handle eppbp352). I'm about Alan's age, live in Boston, MA, USA, where I engineer software for a living. When not doing that, I play "classical" organ, compose, play rock guitar, and spend time here and related places.

I've been watching AI on and off for some years, and have had my favorites, but when Melinda Doolittle sang My Funny Valentine this spring, my jaw dropped, and I became increasingly fascinated by, infatuated with, and in awe of this remarkable young woman, her incomparable talent, and fully-mature art, and, as we got to know her, her exemplary spirit, generosity and grace.  As the season progressed, I along with my friends observed that I was no longer watching AI, but watching Melinda, as I am now.  Along this road, I have found myself creating sonnets, Art Nouveau "arty-facts", and even software.

The amazing people I have met on this journey from Memphis, here and in other fora, have convinced me that my devotion to Melinda is neither transient nor rare: I am in the company of a cornucopia of souls of all ages, backgrounds, and nations equally taken with Melinda.

I look forward to the Backups' continuing supporting presence on Melinda's own journey.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 10:40:01 pm by Bernie »
Your supporter and fan in Boston, Bernie

igabyy

• Founding Backup
  • Tiernan said: "Irma Is Right"
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 01:09:55 am »
Hello everyone!! my name is Irma and live in Florida.

I am a business-owner and RE investor. Of all the things I've done I'd say Marketing/PR is my forte. I feel so honored to have had the opportunity to work with the most incredible and brilliant group of people in the start-up team to make this website and Community a reality. Melinda always says "Dream Big"... so we are!!!  Grin

I was captivated with Melinda after she sang "My Funny Valentine".... and the rest is history. I have made so many wonderful friends here and I look forward to many, many more... and together do great things for Melinda and the world at large!

Grouphug
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 02:51:46 pm by igabyy »

Jessica

• Founding Backup #674
  • Her Most Excellent Majesty of the Royal Order of the Knights of Media
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 01:11:59 am »
I'm Jessica.
I'm from Brazil, and I absolutely love Melinda.

I think that's all.  Grin

Vickster

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 01:30:29 am »
Hello!  My name is Vicki (Vickster or Victoria), and I am from Northwest Ohio.  I happened to come upon Melinda Doolittle one evening as I passed by the television screen.  Hearing this "voice" performing her audition number stopped me in my tracks.  From then on out, I watched each week for her subsequent AI appearances.  I would have to say the audition was when I really became drawn in by her.  And as the weeks went by, I became even more fascinated by this amazing little woman.  Each week for me was a special event -- and I lived for Tuesdays and Wednesdays.  This all after never having been a viewer of this show.  I followed her entire journey through that season.  And here I am, still wanting more. 

I have been a legal secretary/paralegal person ever since I was 20 years old.  And that was over 30 years ago, so do the math.  I presently specialize in the law relating to real estate, and am the manager of a title insurance agency.  I also was a Court Reporter in the past. 

I am very proud and honored to be a member of this interim leadership team.  And I love Ms. Melinda Doolittle!   

shining

• Founding Backup #588
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 02:58:26 am »
Hello, everyone!  My name is Teresa, aka Shining, aka Dr. Quack.  I am so excited and happy to be here! 

I live in Atlanta, GA and work in mental health admininstration and planning at the state level.  I'm trained and have worked as a therapist but have worn many hats in the social services field.  I plan to retire to the North GA mountains in a few years and have a small private practice.  I study Native American spirituality and seek to walk the path of our elders in following my heart. 

And my heart led me to MELINDA!  I had seen AI over the past few years a few times, usually the last few shows of a season.  But this year, I saw the sweetest face under a little hat during the auditions.  When she sang, I was amazed.  The next time I heard her, I cried.  My heart flipped!  The rest is history!  I am totally amazed by this woman! 

And because of MELINDA, I've "met" the most incredible people who have touched my heart, made me think, made me laugh, and enriched my life.  Thank you!

Tiernan

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 03:17:32 am »
Hello, my name is Catherine, I'm 45 and I'm a backup.  You may not think the distance from behind a screenname is a long walk, but the distance between being a fool on a message board and becoming an intelligent member of an incredible group of people involved in such an ambitious undertaking can be quite scary. Shocked  I have a degree in communications and a law degree.  I am honored to be a part of Melinda's Backups startup team and look forward to a long association with this group and the wonderful people I've met.  I'm so excited that I'm sitting on my hands to try and stop this shaking that's going on. banana dance

God bless you all and God bless Melinda. Grouphug

Rock on! Rocker

chris-play

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 04:16:08 am »
Hi,
I am Chris or Cris as Tiernan likes to refer to me, she thinks that the “h” is too American for the incredible, charming, amazingly intelligent, sometimes hot tempered and impulsive, but all considered adorable Italian being that I am!
I am honored to be part of this wonderful international community, to support Melinda, to be actively involved in promoting humanitarian efforts, and to contribute in making a difference, even if it is saving just one life through MalariaNoMore.
Chris

PS: well … I see that I am supposed to tell my age. Let’s say that I still do not know what I will do when I grow up! Cheeky

Rene

• Founding Backup
  • Loving, curious, poet, thinker.
    • myspace
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 07:23:43 am »
Hi

Rene here, aka luMelinderIdo. I have an extensive backgroud in Non-profit and religious work. Have a Master's in Divinity. Never was even tempted to participate in something like this before, now I am a Backup. I have also been involved in music almost my entire life. I have heard a lot of great singing and Melinda is one great singer.
But more than her voice and tremendous skill in using it, she has such a fabulous warmth and greatness of spirit.This, more than anything else drew me to her. It's about who she is inside.

Then in wanting to know more of her, I have met some absolutely wonderful and gifted people who also have been beckoned by her song. I am not going to lie I never thought I would find this many brilliant people in one place outside of a Mensa meeting. And you all are still fun to hang with. I greatly respect who Melinda is and admire her gift.

I know great things will come from knowing of her and also these people who love and support her in her career, and just as important, her acts of love and compassion toward her fellow man.
Bernie said he was about Alan's age well I'm a lot younger than both of them.

Oh, and my little grandaughter's name is Chanel, (Melinda's wilder alter ego).
Can Chanel come out to play? She rawwwks!!!!!
luMelinderIdo

Reetta

• Pharaoh
  • Honorary Friend of Melinda's Backups
    • I have a myspace. I'm hip like that.
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 09:45:28 am »
Hi All,

I'm Reetta, I'm 22 years old and live in Finland. I'm hanging out here as an Admin and have been helping out with things. I'm finishing up my studies in social services with emphasis on Christian youth work this year, and I'm currently working as a church youth worker and also in a traumatized children's foster care center from time to time. I love music, playing the guitar, going to the theater, coffee and New York City.

Feel free to holler if you need help Smiley

LuvHer

• Founding Backup #434
  • Gentle, bookworm, fun-loving, empathetic
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 04:10:33 pm »
Hi!

I'm Paullet (LuvHer). I'm 59--gaining rapidly on 60 and loving every minute of my Senior Citizen craziness!  (The old "must be my advancing age" is a wonderful excuse for doing/not doing what I should!!) Grin

I am honored to be asked to join this community.  My only regret is that for the next few months, I will not be able to be really as active as I would like to be because our little family-run sign company will be heading into overdrive for the holiday season.  But you can bet I will buying bednets for Melinda's 30th and keeping in touch as time permits.  (Who knows--maybe my age will become a factor and I can get out of the shop more often than usual-- Rolling On Floor Laughing)

At any rate, I so look forward to doing all that is possible to make sure Melinda's career takes the world by storm!

Thank you again for the invitation!
Paullet (LuvHer #434)
~~~~~~~~~~~~
"... Just as Jesus created wine from water, we humans are capable of transmuting emotion into music..."
Carlos Santana

Melrocks

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 04:20:36 pm »
Hi,
I'm Mary Ann - aka Melrocks.  I'm an English professor, and am in my last year of a 5 year term as an associate dean of arts and social sciences at my univeristy in Vancouver Canada.

I was an occasional viewer of AI - the only full season I'd watched was the second year - but when I caught Melinda's SYBG and then MFV I was totally hooked.  On her, not the show. 

I've lurked on the various AI related sites, but was compelled to delurk when I went to the AI concert in Tacoma and wrote a review of it for another site.   I'm delighted to have found a wonderful community of amazing individuals who want to be more than a typical fan club and am honoured to be part of the interim leadership group.

I don't post often, but do read everything, so will be around the site frequently.

rhonda

• Founding Backup #488
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 05:37:18 pm »
Hi, I am rhonda,

You guys so far know who I am and a couple of you know I don't like findings my way around a new place, so this will take me a little while.  I better go back and read what I agreed to when I signed up here.  I was so excited I may have signed my home away and not know it yet.   Cheesy  Thanks guys for all the hard work you have put into this new home for me and many others.  Hope to do great work on behalf of Melinda and the charities that she loves.  Now to go back and see how much of my personality I can keep here!   Roll Eyes

Okay, I will back up now that I have explored a little.  I do drafting for a small surveying company.  A great group of three owners should have fired me at least 20 times already because of all my time I have spent on Melinda sites.  I remember when she first walked into the audition room.  I think the shyness is what I noticed in the first few seconds, I too am shy, yes that's right!  I watched each show and was amazed at her talent and her command of the stage.  I voted like so many of you for two and four hours.  I wish for her a career that will fill her heart with joy in whatever form that might be for her.   

Now, Tiernan said something about taking my house, gotta check that out some more!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 07:50:59 pm by rhonda »