Author Topic: OFFICIAL CHRISTMAS PROJECT REPORTS GO IN HERE!  (Read 9343 times)

Vickster

Re: OFFICIAL CHRISTMAS PROJECT REPORTS GO IN HERE!
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 06:50:38 pm »
I POSTED THIS FOR ANN:

Mele Kalikimaka Melinda,

This year my husband and I have decided to focus on helping children in other parts of the world.  Through the missions program at our church, we are donating to an orphanage in Bangladesh to help provide school supplies.  We are making a donation to help provide generic HIV/AIDS antiviral medications to give hope to African children.   And we are helping to rescue a child inThailand by making a donation to provide meals for one child for a month.   In addition we are making a donation to Malaria No More in your name.

It was a such a blessing to have met you in November, 2007 at your first solo concert in Franklin.  The year has really flown by, and what an exciting year it has been for you.  I know 2009 will be even more exciting with your debut CD coming out in February.  May God continue to bless you.

Aloha,
Ann Adams

Vickster

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2008, 10:06:09 pm »
I AM POSTING THIS FOR MU:

Dear Melzinha:

Every month I go to a nursing home, because I love old people.  Sometimes I take candies, big cookies, but I am careful because some cannot eat these things.  What I truly give to them is my affection, love and attention.  But the gift is all mine because I learn so many things from these people.  I listen to their many stories, they have so much to offer to me......and the smiles......ahhhh, the smiles are priceless.

I don't have a lot of good memories about Christmas, but I believe in the spirit, in the hope, love, equality and unity that Christmas represents.

My Melzinha, I wish you the best Christmas ever.  I know the best ever is impossible because I'm not there with you, lol......But someday I will be.  Ha, Ha!  I love you so much that I can't hold it in my heart......it's also in my liver, lungs......Oh, I'm so foolish, but I love you and I know you'll have the most success -- ever!  I know God will keep blessing you because, my Melzinha, you're His masterpiece.  Don't ever forget that!
Love you to life, to pieces like crazy!

Mu
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 01:10:12 am by Vickster »

Mu Doo

• Founding Backup #553 Melinda's precious
  • 'the eyes are blind. One must look with the heart'
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2008, 12:22:45 am »
I AM POSTING THIS FOR MU:

Dear Melzinha:

Every month I go to a nursing home, because I love old people.  Sometimes I take candies, big cookies, but I am careful because some cannot eat these things.  What I truly give to them is my affection, love and attention.  But the gift is all mine because I learn so many things from these people.  I listen to their many stories, they have so much to offer to me......and the smiles......ahhhh, the smiles are priceless.

I don't have a lot of good memories about Christmas, but I believe in the spirit, in the hope, love, equality and unity that Christmas represents.

My Melzinha, I wish you the best Christmas ever.  I know the best ever is impossible because I'm not there with you, lol......But someday I will be.  Ha, Ha!  I love you so much that I can't hold it in my heart......it's also in my liver, lungs......Oh I'm so foolish, but I love you and I know you'll have the most success -- ever!  I know God will keep blessing you because, my Melzinha, you're His masterpiece.  Don't ever forget that!
Love you to life, to pieces like crazy!

Mu

Yikes  My English is so perfect!!!!  Rolling On Floor Laughing Rolling On Floor Laughing Rolling On Floor Laughing

Thanks so much, Vick! I love you a lots!  Big hug Big hug Big hug
My Patrick, my Des, my Cathy and my Maria, thanks for everything you have done for me! I love you to life!!! Thanks all Backups.
"You are such a gift!  To think that almost a world away, we have found such a friendship, is a tribute to you and your amazing heart.  Thank you so much for all that you are."
"PS  I had the best time during your visit here.  You can't imagine!  You are one ball of pure joy!."

Vickster

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2008, 01:13:26 am »
Yes, it is perfect!   Clapping

Awww   My pleasure, Mu.

Sara99

• Founding Backup
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2008, 03:12:50 am »

Dear Melinda--

My  Mother died several years ago and one of the things she left behind was her new computer, which I safely stored away. I came across her computer recently and decided for Christmas this year, in her memory, I will give it to a child who might not otherwise ever have one. I have chosen a young girl who comes from a life of disadvantage, yet has a strong desire to rise above her circumstance.
Also, on Christmas Day, I will again help serve food to the terminally ill and their families through my local Hospice program.
Merry Christmas to you Melinda. May the coming year bring you happiness and fulfillment.

With love  Heartbeat Heartbeat
Sara

Valerie

• Founding Backup #395
Re: CHRISTMAS OFFICIAL PROJECT
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2008, 04:42:30 pm »

Dear Melinda,

This year, my husband, my sister, my mom, and I are adopting a family through HELP of Southern Nevada. The organization's mission is to "help people help themselves" by assisting families and individuals throughout Southern Nevada to overcome barriers and attain self-sufficiency through direct services, training and referral to community resources. The family we are helping this Christmas is a single mother with two young boys. We do not meet the families, but learn their circumstances and needs through a "wish list" they submit. We have purchased toys and clothes for the children, a gift basket and gift card for their mother, stockings and stocking stuffers, and a gift card to provide food for the holiday week. We will deliver these items to the organization and they will present them to the mother well before Christmas.

I also plan to make a donation to the scholarship fund in your name this Christmas. Thank you for being the inspiration that you are to so many. I am so excited to see what this year has in store for you! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Love,
Val

edited....can someone move this to the right thread? Sorry!  Thanks

edited by Alan ... Its moved
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 04:52:22 pm by Alan »
   Vegas Vamp

Vickster

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2008, 07:03:57 pm »
I just LOVE your picture, Val.  Just look at that sweetie face... Grin

Babz

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2008, 11:15:26 pm »

Dear Melinda,

Christmas is a time for joy, celebration, reflection, and most importantly giving, especially to those less fortunate. A special passion of mine has always been children, and this year my focus was no different. Working at the Children's Hospital has opened my eyes to many things, and in your honor will be donating money to the Make a Wish Foundation, so that kids who are going through treatment here can have something to look forward to, when many times this is not the case for them. Also, my theater company will be teaming up to donate our time and do arts and crafts with the patients (like the picture above) as well as put on some shows for the kids.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you!

Love,

Babz

Tiger

• Founding Backup
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008, 06:00:49 am »

Dear Melinda,

This Christmas, my family and I hope to bring joy to children we do not know.  We will give toys to the U.S. Marine Reserve Toys for Tots Foundation.  Their mission is to collect new, unwrapped toys during October, November and December each year, and distribute those toys as Christmas gifts to needy children in the community in which the campaign is conducted.  The company I work for, which is in Los Angeles, will deliver the toys to the foundation next week.

The three young kids in our family selected and bought toys that they think kids their age will enjoy.  You can just imagine the conversations we had with them, telling them that we are giving the toys to other kids as gifts for Christmas.  Fortunately, Jacob, my very own angel, put it well in his own words, "Some kids will be sad this Christmas because they will not have toys.  Don't you want to make sad kids happy?"  The 4 1/2-year old kinda understood, but the 3-year old did not seem convinced that this was a good idea.  We'll keep on working on him. Thumbs Up.  On Christmas Day, when my kids receive their own gifts, we'll remind them of the other kids who will get the toys they picked, and hopefully, my kids will understand the Gift of Giving.

Thank you for the gifts you give us - your time, your voice, the inspiration and joy that you are to me and to many other people.  May you have a blessed Christmas and I pray for much success and happiness for you this coming year.

Love,
Jenn
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 05:08:36 pm by Vickster »
Don't look down on small beginnings - Melinda.

Vickster

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2008, 01:50:04 pm »
I POSTED THIS FOR DIANNE:

Dear Melinda,

In this economy sometimes it feels like we can’t give what we would like to, but recently my eyes were opened to how easy it is to give of oneself. Last month while I was at the grocery store, I overheard a frail, elderly woman asking where the butter and eggs were. The worker pointed across the store and said they were on the back wall. Her face fell and she looked so forlorn. She said “Oh, my.  I’m not sure I can make it that far.” The worker just turned and walked away. The woman looked like she couldn’t walk two more feet, so I asked her if I could get them for her. Her face lit up and she told me what she needed. When I returned and put them into her cart, she was beaming and thanked me profusely. I felt so good all day from doing that small act of kindness. I had helped her, but in doing so helped myself so much more. And it was so easy! I realized I don’t need money to help people. I just need to open my eyes and ears to the things going on all around me. I can give a gift of kindness and in return receive a wonderful gift myself.

Melinda, I wish you the most amazing Christmas ever, and may the coming year bring you joy and success beyond your wildest dreams.

Love and hugs,
Dianne/CaliforniaFan

angel4peace

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2008, 08:28:57 pm »
Vic, I promise you will have it on time. Thannks for the reminder!!! I will be back in CA soon.  Big hug

Vickster

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2008, 03:06:13 am »
OK, thanks Nicole.  Pick a nice picture, too!  Santa Banana

Desiree

• Founding Backup #730 - mdoolittle @Jmoffet Can't believe I'm saying this, but listen to @swain1856
  • Web site Team
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2008, 05:19:43 am »

Dear Melinda,

I work for the largest employer in Idaho and they are doing layoffs for the second time in three years.  I feel blessed to still have a good-paying job so I decided to donate my entire bonus to various charities and organizations.  Both the Melinda Doolittle Scholarship Fund and the Idaho Foodbank received donations.  I also put money in the Backups Sunshine and Flower funds.  I believe you are familiar with the Sunshine fund which provides emergency assistance to backups.  The intent of the Flower fund is to make sure there is always money on hand when a backup needs cheering up or some TLC.  It can be used to send flowers, a food basket, chocolate, or whatever will brighten someone's day.

Finally, I donated to the Idaho Youth Ranch which runs Hays Shelter Home for kids.  This is the only emergency shelter provider for unaccompanied youth in Southwest Idaho.  They provide 24-hour care for boys and girls between the ages of 8 and 18, who are runaways, homeless, or victims of abuse and neglect. 

Thank you for the inspiration and joy you have provided to me and so many others this year.  I wish you all the best this Christmas season and in the coming year.  Merry Christmas! 

Love and hugs,
Desiree

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

donna

• Founding Backup #695
  • Wise, strongwilled, intuitive
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2008, 05:31:48 am »

As I look back on this past year, I count my blessings. I am very fortunate to have a wonderful family and the most wonderful group of friends one could ever hope for. It makes me sad to think of the many people who can not be home for Christmas to be with their loved ones. I mostly think of the soldiers and what they sacrifice. I will be sending as many cards  as possible to the soldiers with words of encouragement and thanks. I want to remember them, not only at Christmas time, but the whole year through. My thoughts and prayers are always with them and for their safe return home.

This year, I did something I didn't think I could do. I ran in two marathons. I will always be grateful to Sara, who started with an idea to raise money for MNM. As long as my body will allow me, I will be running marathons to support two causes, Malaria No More and the Belmont University Music Scholarship. Melinda, you have inspired me in so many ways and opened up my world. You and the Backups have made a difference in my life. I want to spend the rest of my life making a difference in the lives of others. Whether it's running a marathon, making small donations or an act of kindness, I will always remember your words 'Dream Big'. I am making a donation to both MNM and the Music Scholarship in your name.

Merry Christmas Melinda and may the coming New Year bring you much happiness and continued success.

Love and bunches of Hugs,
Donna

drjamie03

• Backup #724
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2008, 03:45:50 am »
THANK YOU, DRJAMIE!   Hug   You didn't include a picture, is this one OK to use for your report?  If you have a favorite picture, let me know.  Thumbs Up

Dear Melinda,

After reading the stories of what other backups have done, I'm not sure I'm worthy!!  :-)  I do my best every day of the year to treat others the way I want to be treated...and some days, that's not an easy task!  It matters to me that I treat others with respect and kindness, even to my detriment sometimes. 

I got my doctorate in Clinical Psychology because I wanted to help others, even though other careers I had before (nursing, massage therapy) were also helping professions...but they never quite 'scratched the itch', so to speak.  And so at the age of 37, I went back to school.  AGAIN!  When I started my private practice, I decided that I wanted to make therapy affordable for just about everyone, because I know what it's like to need help and not be able to get it.  And so I often see people for far less than others in my profession do...and will see people for free when they need me to.  I can't really afford to do this, but I believe in kindness, and I believe in karma.  I believe that, in the end, it all works out, and that nothing is wasted.

I don't know if this qualifies for a Christmas project, and I know it's not as virtuous as some of the projects others are doing.  I also know that I"m a better person since I became a Backup, and since meeting you.  You are inspiring, and so are my fellow Backups. 

Have the merriest of Christmases!

With Respect and Admiration,
Jamie (drjamie03)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 02:00:28 pm by Vickster »
Jamie P

hilarious