Author Topic: now everyone can take private lessons with Janet Kenyon!  (Read 6307 times)

Jessica

• Founding Backup #674
  • Her Most Excellent Majesty of the Royal Order of the Knights of Media
Re: now everyone can take private lessons with Janet Kenyon!
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2008, 04:50:46 pm »
I've heard it said that anyone can learn to sing.  Does anybody believe that?  I don't.  I mean, if you can carry a tune, you can improve, but if you have no vocal skills whatsoever, how could you possibly learn a thing like that?  I would think your ability to sing would be something that's either there or not. Dunno

I agree completely.

MelindaRules1987

• Founding Backup
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2008, 05:36:51 pm »
I've heard it said that anyone can learn to sing.  Does anybody believe that?  I don't.  I mean, if you can carry a tune, you can improve, but if you have no vocal skills whatsoever, how could you possibly learn a thing like that?  I would think your ability to sing would be something that's either there or not. Dunno
I'm not sure if anyone can learn to sing.  If they don't have the talent, then its pointless for them to have lessons.

ghopper

• Founding Backup #492
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2008, 05:46:04 pm »

I think there are some basics that you have to have, like being able to sing a note on key.  But there's more to singing than singing in tune, like phrasing and shaping the melody, etc.  Can that be taught and learned?  Perhaps so.... but only up to a point.  The best singers have inborn instincts on how to do this effectively and innovatively.  If you don't have them, you can progress only up to a point and and stop there.
  Late Night Vamp Club
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What you are is God's gift to you;  What you make of yourself is your gift to God.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jena

• happy bibliophile, and "crazy" cat lady
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2008, 09:55:21 pm »
Yeah, singing the note on key.  I don't have that. Duh I don't have keys at all. Brick wall I can hear that I'm awful, but can't do anything about it. Rolling On Floor Laughing

Desiree

• Founding Backup #730 - mdoolittle @Jmoffet Can't believe I'm saying this, but listen to @swain1856
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2008, 10:04:04 pm »
Yeah, singing the note on key.  I don't have that. Duh I don't have keys at all. Brick wall I can hear that I'm awful, but can't do anything about it. Rolling On Floor Laughing

Ditto.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

MelindaRules1987

• Founding Backup
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2008, 10:48:34 pm »
I am not that great a singer however, I do happen to have a great ear for pitch & can immediately tell when someone's out of tune.