About Melinda > AI6 Concert Reviews

Greensboro, NC Review

(1/1)

Jessica:
'Idol' concert provides lots of family fun

GREENSBORO — If you haven’t been to a concert in a long time, be prepared for some obvious changes.

Instead of lifting cigarette lighters high into the air to signify a good performance, you’ll now see a blue hue emitted from cell phones glowing throughout the auditorium.

And that’s not all — during the Pop Tarts presents American Idols Live tour Tuesday night at the Greensboro Coliseum, fans could send text messages to their favorite performers or to fellow audience members. This was quite a change for someone who has been attending concerts since the early ’80s.

The good thing about holding cell phones up is there’s no risk of burning your hands with the cigarette lighters. And allowing the fans to “correspond” with the stars and each other creates a more fan-focused show. That could definitely be said of the American Idols tour Tuesday night.

The show’s 10 finalists seemed genuine, often interacting with fans seated near the stage. The crew got in on the act, too. There were a few adults with “all access” passes walking around the auditorium, scouting out fans. A teenage girl with braces and her mom were standing near my seat during intermission when a woman approached and asked who her favorite “Idol” was. The girl quietly responded “Blake,” as in Blake Lewis. Well, the woman asked to borrow her cell phone, went backstage and returned with a photo of Blake. The girl couldn’t stop smiling.

It was a family friendly show with a lot of tots in tow. My 5-year-old companion wasn’t too keen on the music at first (it hurt his ears) but after some ear plugs were found, he perked up a bit.

There were no surprises, vocally. Sanjaya Malakar sounded a bit better, but his voice just doesn’t sound fully developed yet — he still sounded flat in some spots. And as cute as Haley Scarnato is, her voice still isn’t up to par.

The concert wasn’t sold out by any means and a big chunk of the audience left at intermission, which was a real shame because Malakar, Lewis, Phil Stacey, Chris Sligh and Chris Richardson formed their own version of a “boy band.” The guys were great except for Sanjaya’s screechy solo on the Beatles “Hey Jude.”

Memorable moments included an acoustic set/duet by 2007 Idol winner Jordin Sparks and Richardson, and Sparks and Melinda Doolittle did a great rendition of Natalie Cole’s “This Will Be An Everlasting Love.”

The great thing about “American Idol” is that it brings some of the songs most of us grew up with to a whole new audience. As Lewis performed Bon Jovi’s “You Give Love A Bad Name,” the whole arena looked like a sea of arms: Outstretched arms were in the air, swaying to the beat.

Having a good time and hearing music you love — that’s what a good concert is all about.

source: Burlington Times

Desiree:
No mention of Melinda or Lakisha's solo???   Very strange, maybe the article was edited  ::)

igabyy:

Thanks Jess!!  ;D

Rene:
I guess he really didn't feel like writing.

rhonda:
I guess he noticed the crowd more than I did if a big chunk left at intermission.  I was 12th row floor and I can tell you that the floor section was on their feet for the first several songs performed.  I was rather surprised they stayed on their feet like they did but then again with a different singer coming out I guess everyone wanted to stand for each singer.  If I recall correctly, it was when Jordin did a slow song that people sat down.  I was told by someone who had been to another concert that the songs were not in the same order as the other show she saw. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version