Author Topic: Another Christmas Project  (Read 7484 times)

mcaro05

• Founding Backup #753
  • Lively, compassionate, gracious, introspective.
Another Christmas Project
« on: October 20, 2008, 06:45:34 pm »
Hey Everyone-

Maria and I have been talking, and we both still REALLY like the idea of doing a Chicken Soup for Melinda's Soul book...I know quite a few people had an interest in doing this, so we decided to start a thread and see how many people want to do it. You can post your stories here or PM them. Val has offered to help edit the stories since that is what she does for a living (go Val!  Huzzah!).

I personally think it would be something Melinda would definatley treasure...

Jenn suggested we call it "Backups Soup For Melinda's Soul"

Please feel free to post your thoughts/ideas here!

Desiree

• Founding Backup #730 - mdoolittle @Jmoffet Can't believe I'm saying this, but listen to @swain1856
  • Web site Team
Re: Another Christmas Project
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 06:57:55 pm »
I like the idea too.  But I tend to be a big procrastinator so I need a deadline!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Tiger

• Founding Backup
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 07:02:08 pm »
I loooove the idea.  And I need some gudielines, too.  Like, number of pages, should we come up with topics, etc. Super excited Huzzah! Super excited Huzzah!
Don't look down on small beginnings - Melinda.

Holly

• Founding Backup # 558
  • Live life with no regrets!
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 07:03:45 pm »
Sounds like fun to me..........   Big hug

Babz

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 10:25:34 pm »
Sounds good to me!

Jena

• happy bibliophile, and "crazy" cat lady
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 02:56:10 am »
 Winner Super excited

mcaro05

• Founding Backup #753
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 03:02:09 am »
Okay guys, I've been brainstorming all day. Please let me know your thoughts.

First things first, we need to figure out how we want it to look. I think the easiest way is to get all the pages binded together, which I can do at my mom's school for free. If we do that, I think someone should make a cover- maybe a special drawing by one of our artists (cough gem cough) or if a baby backup that would be cute too.

I was also thinking..you know how the chicken soup stories have different headlines for each story?? I was thinking we could categorize ours too...

Maybe like "The First Time I Met Melinda" stories...or "Melinda has inspired me to.." stories...or "A backup has impacted my life by.."...and I guess you could write stories for each category if you really wanted to.

I'm ready to here everyones input and I am super excited about this project!

mcaro05

• Founding Backup #753
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 03:47:29 am »
Hi. I'm back again  LOL sign

A couple people asked me about how to actually write a story..I got this from the chicken soup website

A Chicken Soup for the Soul story is an inspirational, true story about ordinary people doing extraordinary things. It is a story that opens the heart and rekindles the spirit. It is a simple, inter-denominational, living art piece that touches the soul of the readers and helps them discover basic principles they can use in their own lives. They are personal and often filled with emotion and drama. They are filled with vivid images created by using the five senses. In some stories, the readers feel that they are actually in the scene with the people.

Chicken Soup stories have a beginning, middle and an ending that often closes with a punch, creating emotion rather than simply talking about it. Chicken Soup for the Soul stories have heart, but also something extra…an element that makes us all feel more hopeful, more connected, more thankful, more passionate and better about life in general. A story that causes tears, laughter, goosebumps or any combination of these. A good story covers the range of human emotions.

The most powerful stories are about people extending themselves, or performing an act of love, service or courage for another person.

Guidelines for a Chicken Soup for the Soul Story

1. Tell an exciting, sad or funny story about something that has happened to you or someone you know. Make sure that you introduce the character(s).

2. Tell your story in a way that will make the reader cry, laugh or get goose bumps (the good kind!) Don’t leave anything out — how did you feel?

3. The story should start with action; it should include a problem, issue or situation. It should include dialogue and the character should express their feelings though the conflict or situation. It should end in a result, such as a lesson learned, a positive change or pay-off.

4. Above all, let it come from your HEART! Your story is important!

Lexi (LMMD)

• Founding Backup #716
  • Engaging, bright, ambitious, kind
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 12:34:34 pm »
Wait, is the kind of chicken soup I asked that we could do a while back, or is this something different...I'm confused,  LOL sign
We did it!

mcaro05

• Founding Backup #753
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 04:08:22 pm »

Val has volunteered to put all the stories in a book...start sending them in guys!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 12:02:13 am by mcaro05 »

Holly

• Founding Backup # 558
  • Live life with no regrets!
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 06:25:58 pm »
can we email you the stories?Huh?Huh?

Weezzy7

• Founding Backup #741
  • Official News Seeker
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 06:53:51 pm »
Beautiful story Sally.  I will wrote mine soon.

mcaro05

• Founding Backup #753
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 08:03:40 pm »
can we email you the stories?Huh?Huh?

yes m'am- to either myself or val  Big hug

Valerie

• Founding Backup #395
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 01:55:15 am »
Hi everyone!

Feel free to pm or email me or Megan your stories whenever they are ready. Megan and I will have to figure out a deadline. Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions. I am excited about this project, and honored to help out with it!  World Hug
   Vegas Vamp

mcaro05

• Founding Backup #753
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 04:40:58 pm »
Val and I decided that it would be best for Val to deliver this gift during the Christmas tour on Dec 17th...she will need a few weeks to put everything together, so please turn your stories in by Thanksgiving.  Thanks