Author Topic: CHRISTMAS OFFICIAL PROJECT  (Read 6524 times)

Vickster

CHRISTMAS OFFICIAL PROJECT
« on: October 16, 2008, 04:49:44 pm »
Once again, we would like to organize the Backups to do charitable work and/or make donations on behalf of Melinda for the Christmas Holiday.   Santa Banana   Last year we compiled a scrapbook detailing all the generous work that we did in her honor, and it was one of Melinda's favorite gifts ever!  We would like to do a similar project this year.  Start thinking about what you might like to do . .adopt a family, help out at a senior or youth center, donate Christmas gifts for children, help at your church, donate money to a charity of your choice in the spirit of the Holiday or to the scholarship fund.  There are so many unique possibilities.

The scholarship committee is meeting to discuss fresh ideas which we will post shortly for those who need additional inspiration.

And once again, Vickster (that's me!  HAR )  will oversee the compilation of the book and will be contacting members that have already expressed interest in working on this project.  As we did last year, there will be a thread created here in Official Projects for members to post their stories regarding their particular charitable Christmas gift.  You may also include and post a picture (Christmas themes, whatever you wish that may complement it) with your report.  Please try to keep your report and picture sized so that it will fit an 8 x 11 page that goes into the album.   Here you can find examples of last year's album entries.  http://www.melindasbackups.com/uploads/xmas-2007/

As always, we invite others to help make this yearly Backups tradition a success.

More Details Later

« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 01:46:51 am by Vickster »

OldSchool80s

Re: CHRISTMAS OFFICIAL PROJECT
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 07:02:05 pm »
This was such a great project last year.  I know Melinda loved it.  We can make it even better this year. Thumbs Up

Gemini2

• Founding Backup #510
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 01:48:11 pm »
Thank you Vickster for doing this again this year!

This is such a wonderful thing to do in Melinda's name!

Holly

• Founding Backup # 558
  • Live life with no regrets!
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 01:50:28 pm »
Count me in.........

She really liked it alot and was so honored when we did all the charity stuff in her honor..... 

Lexi (LMMD)

• Founding Backup #716
  • Engaging, bright, ambitious, kind
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 02:53:57 am »
This is awesome, I'm very excited to start all of my plans for charity! Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!
Thank you for coordinating this Vicksterrrrrrrrrr! Big hug
We did it!

Sara99

• Founding Backup
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 01:55:44 pm »
Thanks Vickster!   Thanks
We hope everyone will participate in this wonderful project.  Thumbs Up

Melrocks

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 06:44:41 pm »
YAY Vicki!!  I'm so glad that we'll be doing this Christmas project again.  Helping others is at the core of Melinda's beliefs and we know how touched she was last year by the outstanding efforts of all of her backups. 

Remember, you don't have to spend much (or any) money to be involved.  Just find a way to give of yourself this Christmas and let that gift of giving be your present to Melinda!

Let's see if we can make this even better this year.   Thumbs Up

BACKUP POWER ROCKS  Rock On sign Rock On sign Rock On sign

chris-play

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 12:53:33 pm »
Thanks Vickster for starting the thread!

I will participate, I plan on doing some volunteer work (I actually went on volunteering the whole year after I started in Melinda's name last Christmas  Thumbs Up) and I will also contribute to the Scholarship.
Contributing to the scholarship does not mean that I will necessarily take the money out of my pocket, there are many activities we can start to raise money involving our families and friends. For some ideas look into this thread

http://www.melindasbackups.com/forum/index.php?topic=2379.0

Donna has suggested quite a few interesting and creative ways to do it!!  Huzzah! Huzzah!

OldSchool80s

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 03:34:57 pm »
I have already started on my project for this year.  I am going to do what I did last year which was work with a friend who is "adopting" 11 kids for the Christmas Holiday.  We have lists of what they want, need and some appropriate educational aids, and we play Santa Clause.  It is via a group called Christmas if for Children.

So far this year I have bought new jeans and tops for 4 girls aged 5-10.  I also have a list of toys and puzzle books that they want.

I hope these children that would normally get nothing for Christmas, have a Christmas they will always remember.

Holly

• Founding Backup # 558
  • Live life with no regrets!
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 03:38:49 pm »
I really hope we have a good turnout for this project......... Melinda LOVED it last year....trust me, I was there when she opened it!!!!!!!!!!

Lets really support this, ok............ Thanks Vickster!!!!!

mcaro05

• Founding Backup #753
  • Lively, compassionate, gracious, introspective.
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 04:06:59 pm »
I'm excited about this  Super excited

This year I am doing a couple different things...I am volunteering at the Juvenile home as well as the children's hospital.

Weezzy7

• Founding Backup #741
  • Official News Seeker
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 05:11:44 pm »
Me alway at the Old peoples home. Last year at the Valentine day! I did buy 2 CD Players and i did download song of Melinda on a CD plus the My funny Valentine. I can say to you they was really really happy!

This year i will do CD for them. Music is relaxing thing for them.

Vickster

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 03:31:27 am »
Thanks to all for showing your support for the project again this Christmas season.  Let's all start thinking about what we can do to make someone's holidays a bit more joyful. 

As Melrocks has said, the true spirit of Christmas is the spirit of giving, and you don't have to spend loads of money -- it's just as meaningful to give your time to someone who is lonely, ill or just needing a caring friend.    World Hug

In November, I will be starting a new thread here in Official Projects for everyone to post their stories.  There will also be a DEADLINE for submissions, so that the album can be assembled and delivered to Melinda in time for Christmas.  Look for details in the new thread.

More Details Later
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 03:34:57 am by Vickster »

OldSchool80s

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 09:10:25 pm »
Vick, thanks so much for doing this again this year.    You DA BOMB!!   Thumbs Up

Dingingstar324

• Founding Backup
  • Baby Backup
    • Myspace
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 12:40:53 am »
Ohh! I am sooo excited for this!
I am gonna donate several shoe boxes to Operation Christmas Child through my church!!!
Late Night \\\\\\\"Weekend Vamp\\\\\\\"<br /><br />

hilarious