Author Topic: Plans for Melindas Birthday AND Christmas....  (Read 17451 times)

donna

• Founding Backup #695
  • Wise, strongwilled, intuitive
Re: Plans for Melindas Birthday AND Christmas....
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2008, 02:21:20 pm »
I agree we should focus on the scholarship fund. We have a long way to go with that. I know we can reach our goal if everyone focuses on that.   Thumbs Up

Holly

• Founding Backup # 558
  • Live life with no regrets!
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2008, 02:46:38 pm »
OK.... How about this...........

Birhtday.

Massage, small bouquet of flowers for concert, and rest toward Scholarship......   I can mail a card to her with the massage certificate and also have a notice of amt of scholarship...........

If you wanna make a donation straight to Belmont... you can just email me the amt and I will keep it under lock and key .. so I can get a total to tell Melinda with birthday card.... Does that make sense???

Christmas
Massage, maybe a small piece of jewelry, and Scholarship.....   

I have received one donation per paypal already.... Thanks to this person......   

donna

• Founding Backup #695
  • Wise, strongwilled, intuitive
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2008, 02:59:34 pm »
 Big hug  Sounds great to me Holly. I will be getting donations for the scholarship with my next marathon in November. Also with a bake sale. I will send you something towards the massage and flowers by the end of the weekend.

OldSchool80s

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2008, 03:50:39 pm »
Holly,

I love the massage ideas.  She'll love that. Thanks for checking with Kelley about what she would want.   Big hug

And then all additional money collected go to the scholarship. We can always return to MNM once we reach our scholarship goal.

I think we can do a separate thread for the concert flowers.  As for the piece of jewelry at Christmas, my personal opinion is that less expensive jewelry is usually a very personal choice (and I bet via AI she got TONS of that already), and in order to focus on the charities, we avoid expensive jewelry such as what we got last year for her big 3-0!!  So I vote "no" to the jewelry for Christmas.  Just  my $.02.   Rose Rose Rose

Holly

• Founding Backup # 558
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2008, 09:44:22 pm »
any imputs..........  we have 1 month and 3 days till her Birthday.........    Lets not let time creep up on us........  Melinda on Top of the world Melinda on Top of the world Melinda on Top of the world Melinda on Top of the world Melinda on Top of the world

Melrocks

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2008, 10:02:16 pm »
I agree with those who have said that we need to focus our fund raising efforts right now on the scholarship.   Thumbs Up

For Melinda's birthday, I like the idea of the massage - what gal doesn't like a lovely hot stone massage?  Cloud Nine and a nice card with a note about how we've made further donations to the scholarship fund.

For Christmas, I'm thinking along the lines of OS in terms of the jewelry, but I thought we were going to give her a Christmas ornament every year from her backups?  So maybe a really special ornament from all of us and the massage and more donations to the scholarship fund?

Two other ideas. 

For her birthday, if Patrick is finished his spell binding tale before her birthday, perhaps we could get that printed on nice paper and put into a lovely album and give that to Melinda?  She likes the story, so that might be a nice keepsake for her. 

For Christmas, maybe we could get some of our talented writers (you know who you are) to do a year in review type of write up for Melinda?  It could talk about the many backup events and projects and also focus on the highlights of her year (like her trip to Africa as an official US delegate and, of course, her first cd  Super excited). 

Both of these won't cost much money, but they will be gifts of love from us to Melinda and I always think gifts of love are the nicest.

What do you think?

Desiree

• Founding Backup #730 - mdoolittle @Jmoffet Can't believe I'm saying this, but listen to @swain1856
  • Web site Team
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2008, 10:19:37 pm »
One suggestion mentioned in Nashville was getting Melinda a radar detector for her birthday because she recently got a speeding ticket.  Patrick checked and they are legal in Tennessee.  Currently she has been renting cars when she is home in Nashville but told us she went car shopping and is pretty sure she has decided on a new car.

Also, I have been collectiong pictures and video of the backups playing air hockey.  Melinda beat every single one of us!   Crying    So I was thinking it might be nice to give her a DVD commemorating the day.  Maybe Mu would put the pictures to music - I hear Queen's Another One Bites the Dust when I look at the pictures.   LOL sign

I too understood that the Christmas ornament would be a yearly gift from the backups so I would like to do that for Christmas for sure.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Jena

• happy bibliophile, and "crazy" cat lady
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2008, 11:02:08 pm »
"Another One Bites the Dust" Rolling On Floor Laughing Rolling On Floor Laughing Rolling On Floor Laughing Rolling On Floor Laughing Rolling On Floor Laughing Definitely appropriate background music for what she handed out to us that day.

Elcondado

• Founding Backup #603, Cathy
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2008, 12:55:43 am »
I agree with those who have said that we need to focus our fund raising efforts right now on the scholarship.   Thumbs Up

For Melinda's birthday, I like the idea of the massage - what gal doesn't like a lovely hot stone massage?  Cloud Nine and a nice card with a note about how we've made further donations to the scholarship fund.

For Christmas, I'm thinking along the lines of OS in terms of the jewelry, but I thought we were going to give her a Christmas ornament every year from her backups?  So maybe a really special ornament from all of us and the massage and more donations to the scholarship fund?

Two other ideas. 

For her birthday, if Patrick is finished his spell binding tale before her birthday, perhaps we could get that printed on nice paper and put into a lovely album and give that to Melinda?  She likes the story, so that might be a nice keepsake for her. 

For Christmas, maybe we could get some of our talented writers (you know who you are) to do a year in review type of write up for Melinda?   It could talk about the many backup events and projects and also focus on the highlights of her year (like her trip to Africa as an official US delegate and, of course, her first cd  Super excited). 

Both of these won't cost much money, but they will be gifts of love from us to Melinda and I always think gifts of love are the nicest.

What do you think?

Both great ideas MA...good thinking..... banana dance Dancing Banana

Elcondado

• Founding Backup #603, Cathy
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2008, 12:58:11 am »
One suggestion mentioned in Nashville was getting Melinda a radar detector for her birthday because she recently got a speeding ticket.  Patrick checked and they are legal in Tennessee.  Currently she has been renting cars when she is home in Nashville but told us she went car shopping and is pretty sure she has decided on a new car.

Also, I have been collectiong pictures and video of the backups playing air hockey.  Melinda beat every single one of us!   Crying    So I was thinking it might be nice to give her a DVD commemorating the day.  Maybe Mu would put the pictures to music - I hear Queen's Another One Bites the Dust when I look at the pictures.   LOL sign

I too understood that the Christmas ornament would be a yearly gift from the backups so I would like to do that for Christmas for sure.

Love the DVD idea...and the ornament...and I would like the radar detector....poor girl has some fears about the "po po" that could be alleviated by this gift... Rolling On Floor Laughing Rolling On Floor Laughing

chris-play

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2008, 01:16:04 am »
I also agree with Holly that we need to take a decision pretty soon, but it would be nice to give more backups the chance to chime in and tell us their thoughts. So I would suggest to keep the discussion open for at least another 4/5 days, may be until September 10, and then go with what the majority suggested. So far nothing that has been proposed requires a long time to be achieved, so we are still on schedule  Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

I have already expressed my preference for donations to the scholarship fund, a small symbolic present (spa is great!), and Mary Ann's ideas are definitely to pursue! Patrick will you give us permission to print the story for Melinda?

The radar ... isn't it a help to go against the law? If we risk we need to accept the possible consequences ....  Cheeky

Nothing against the DVD idea, but it will be a gift only from those who actually played air hockey with her and lost ... most of the backups were not there, and while I am sure she'd appreciate it, I don't see it appropriate as a BD or Christmas gift from all of us.

I also agree that the ornament for Christmas goes on top of whatever we will decide ... can you imagine the Christmas tree in a few years??  Super excited

Jena

• happy bibliophile, and "crazy" cat lady
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2008, 01:58:04 am »
I'm guessing Melinda would appreciate anything that we do for her birthday or Christmas.  But if I had to bet on what I think would make her happiest, from all these suggestions, I'd say she'd probably like to see a larger donation to the scholarship, rather than a gift to her and a smaller donation. Dunno Don't get me wrong, she deserves the world, and it would be great if we could buy her gifts and put all that we need to into the scholarship fund, but if there are a limited number of backups who are willing or able to contribute, all of the money going to the music scholarship might be better.  The way I look at it is--massages and jewelry are wonderful gifts, but a gift that can't be bought or obtained anywhere other than the place it comes from is priceless, and honors to Melinda are such gifts.  The scholarship will last forever, and have positive effects we're not even able to imagine right now.  So unless we get $18,000 added to the scholarship in the next four or five days, my vote would be to put everything toward that, as a way of honoring her.  I'm happy either way. Smiley

But here's an idea.  Could you start a poll?  Something like
Melinda's Birthday Gift
A. massage, flowers, and scholarship donation
B. all money toward music scholarship donation
Just a thought.

OldSchool80s

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2008, 02:33:06 am »
Ok, here is my thought based on what everyone has said . .

Birthday . .massage . . .additional money to scholarship
Christimas . .ornament as tradition (thanks for reminding us, MA) . .additional money to scholarship

I like the idea of a token gift to Melinda (i.e. not spending a lot of money)

BTW:  Desiree, you crazy girl.  LOL sign LOL sign  We can't/shouldn't get her a radar detector. What if she drove out of state where they were illegal and she got a ticket . .then it would sorta be our fault.  We can not aid and abet Melinda in her speeding.   Slap Slap

The MDBs should definitely make up that DVD of them losing air hockey and send it to her from them.  I am sure she would LUUUUVE it . .especially watching you all lose again.  HAR

rhonda

• Founding Backup #488
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2008, 02:55:31 am »
Whatever gift she gets I just don't think it should be too expensive (like the bracelet last year, that was an exception).  Let most of the money go to the scholarship.  We still have a long ways to go collecting for that.  If she gets the massage for her birthday, would it be too early to give her the Christmas ornament as well so she can use it this year?  Those are not expensive. 

Holly

• Founding Backup # 558
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2008, 03:31:22 am »
OK.... how is this...........

Ya'll DO know we cant please everyone ALL the time.... LOL.....

Everyone to PM me or email me  there choice (if you DONT want it known) between.....

Birthday....lets count DVD in with ALL choices...

1.... Massage, radar detector, and scholarship money or
2.... Massage, scholarship fund or
3.... Any other suggestions?

Looks like with are torn in difference of opinions.... 
How does that idea sound....  Dunno

We have  till Sept 10 to vote on Option 1, 2 or 3 
THEN
Sept 30th to contribute......

hilarious