Author Topic: Saving the World  (Read 4737 times)

Jena

• happy bibliophile, and "crazy" cat lady
Saving the World
« on: August 06, 2008, 04:33:23 pm »
So many of the backups are involved in a variety of charitable endeavors outside Melinda's Backups, and I haven't seen a thread that addresses them.  I've heard little bits about the different independent projects and the organizations you all work for, so here's a place where you can spread the word about your specific passion or charity.

Right now, about all I can do is donate to Malaria No More, the Muscular Dystrophy Association, and a no-kill animal shelter in north Texas called Operation kindness.  But I know Donna, Sara, and Val rescue animals, Lexi organized an MNM dance at her school, etc.  I was just thinking that if everybody talked about their philanthropic efforts, it might get others interested, and you never know what connections you could make that would make a huge difference for your charity.

BACKUPS ROCK!
 World Hug Melinda on Top of the world

mcaro05

• Founding Backup #753
  • Lively, compassionate, gracious, introspective.
Re: Saving the World
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 05:08:07 pm »
Great idea Jena  Big hug

I donate to St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital because that hospital spends so much time and money researching cancer and helping kids, I know they need as much help as they can get. I also help put on a fundraiser at my school for St. Jude's.  Thumbs Up

Holly

• Founding Backup # 558
  • Live life with no regrets!
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 07:37:46 pm »
Well............ uhm... I donate to 2 causes......
Malaria No More and
Melinda Doolittle Scholarship.....     thats about it for me.....

Sara99

• Founding Backup
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 08:04:11 pm »
Great thread Jena!   Thumbs Up

I am certainly not "saving the world" but here are some of my contributions.

I devote most of my life to animal rescue and welfare. I also volunteer for Hospice, The American Cancer Society and a therapeutic horse riding program. I run marathons for various charities when I am able. I spend my vacation each year volunteering at various animal rescues
(usually primates).

More than anything else,  I hope to leave this world knowing I did all I could to make a difference.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 02:09:12 am by Sara99 »

Jena

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 09:03:13 pm »
Um, Sara, that sounds like you're saving the world to me. Smiley Big hug You work with primates? Cool I forgot another charity I have donated to in the past.  Steve Irwin's Wildlife Warriors charity seeks to conserve what little natural habitat we have left for our wildlife, educate children about it, and save animals.  I'm tired of just throwing money at animal welfare though! Brick wall I want to do something.  But if you can't give medication to an animal or get him to a vet, it kind of cuts down on your qualifications for animal rescue. Crying
I love everybodys' replies, especially you, Megan, because you're one of the ones I specifically thought of when I started this thread.  I just wasn't sure exactly what you did for St. Jude.

Dingingstar324

• Founding Backup
  • Baby Backup
    • Myspace
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 09:40:03 pm »
Well, I do many things with my church, but the one I really enjoy doing is this:  I do the 30 hour famine, I don't eat for 30 hours and collect sponsors and then all the money gets donated to kids in Africa that don't have food and gives them money for food!
Late Night \\\\\\\"Weekend Vamp\\\\\\\"<br /><br />

Jena

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 09:55:56 pm »
That's wonderful, Krista.  How often do you do that, and when will you do it again?  I'd like to sponsor you.  Is it by the hour, or how does it work? Big hug

Dingingstar324

• Founding Backup
  • Baby Backup
    • Myspace
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 10:18:06 pm »
We normally do it once a year, but we are wanting to do it twice a year, instead.  We normally do the one in mid-February.  The sponsoring can work in two ways.  You can go by flat amount.  You can also do it by the hour.  Whatever is easiest.   Big hug

Jena

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 10:30:33 pm »
If you can remember, post about it again after Christmas, so I'll be sure and have enough to sponsor you. Thumbs Up

Dingingstar324

• Founding Backup
  • Baby Backup
    • Myspace
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 02:36:43 am »
Aw!  Thanks Jena!  Big hug

donna

• Founding Backup #695
  • Wise, strongwilled, intuitive
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 03:08:41 am »
My main charities now are animal rescue, MNM, Music Scholarship Fund, and occasionally Children's Network. I do donate time to help the elderly in the evenings when I can. Someday I'd like to participate in building a house for a family in need.

ghopper

• Founding Backup #492
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 03:59:20 am »
I have to share this story because it's so awesome and one of those that I'll remember forever. 

When I was in my twenties (think 80's), I was a volunteer for UNICEF.  I went on several missions with them -- some in the most horrendous places on earth.  Most of the missions of UNICEF took us to very poor places where we had very bare accommodations and did very grueling work.  Typically we would get back to our quarters after a day's work so tired, dirty, muddy, sweaty, etc. -- really feeling very yucky.  One of the missions I went on was one in Somalia during the famine there.  We distributed food and medicine to some very sick and undernourished children  --  most of them dying.  I roomed with another doctor and 2 nurses (all women).  Anyway to keep our minds off the very depressing work we did, we tacked on a picture of Audrey Hepburn on our dresser mirror.  Most of you guys are probably too young to remember her.  But to us she was the epitome of class, elegance, beauty, sophistication, etc.  So we had this picture of her from Breakfast at Tiffany's in her little black gown, pearls, bee-hive hairdo, gloved hands, holding a cigarette pipe.  Every time we came back to our quarters all dirty, muddy, and sweaty, there was Audrey's picture, reminding us there were better things in the world than what we just dealt with minutes before.  And it also reminded us of our feminine side no matter how sweaty, dirty and smelly we were that day.  At the time, Audrey was a goodwill ambassador for UNICEF. 

Well, one day, unbeknown to us, Audrey was visiting our little camp and dropped by our quarters.  I remember her walking into our room and seeing her picture on our dresser.  She was totally floored -- I think she thought that having passed her prime in movies, people did not remember her that way anymore.  We kinda explained that she always inspired us in ways we could not even enumerate.  Well, from then on, she made a point to have evening meals with us.  Then we were the ones totally floored.  This lady was something else -- well beyond being supportive and good.  I think she was the first celebrity I ever met who never let fame get to her and always acted human and kind among us mortals.

I went to 2 other missions with her -- another one to Somalia and a third one to Vietnam before she died in 1992.  But to this day, she is one of my greatest inspirations.  I just love her!
  Late Night Vamp Club
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What you are is God's gift to you;  What you make of yourself is your gift to God.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

donna

• Founding Backup #695
  • Wise, strongwilled, intuitive
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 04:25:52 am »
Maria, How wonderful that you met Audrey Hepburn. She truly is an inspiration. Thank you for sharing that story.  Big hug

angel4peace

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 04:54:40 am »
Maria, thanks for sharing that story with everyone.. you are pretty awesome yourself Hopper!  Rose
I like what you said, about being a celebrity that did not let fame go to her head, that is rare indeed! How wonderful that she came each night after that and shared a meal with all of you......

So, Maria, when are you writing that book?

Jena

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 05:14:17 am »
A, I remember Audrey Hepburn, Maria.

B, it is unbelievably selfless of you to do those Unicef missions that you did. Big hug

hilarious