Author Topic: Fun, smart and healthy ways to approach fundraising! Our Backups rock!  (Read 11317 times)

donna

• Founding Backup #695
  • Wise, strongwilled, intuitive
Re: Fun, smart and healthy ways to approach fundraising! Our Backups rock!
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 04:59:14 am »
I have been taking orders for cakes and cupcakes for Halloween. I decided to take orders instead of baking a bunch of stuff and sitting outside a store hoping to sell it all. I didn't want to be left with any baked goods. So it is working well with taking orders and buying supplies as I need them. So far I have 5 orders totaling $60. Three people have said they would donate to my marathon run in November. I do not know that total yet. I have decided to extend my orders for baked goods through Christmas holiday. This is a good way to make a dollar stretch. I figured it would cost about $3 to make a cake. Then I would sell it for $20. And that $20 will go to the Scholarship Fund. I hope I stay busy baking cakes.

Indy had a great idea to raffle off dolls she made. Rhonda's slapping thread is doing very well too. And Sally and Alexis' Chat Marathon was awesome. 
Clapping Clapping Clapping  to you all. I want to get more ideas posted.  So if anyone else has ideas, please post them even if you think they might be silly. You never know what will happen. Look at poor Rhonda who has taken a beating for such a long time. What a good sport she is.  Slap   And look how much $ it has brought in.   Huzzah!

Another idea is making use of what I have around the house. Several years ago I went and sat with a friend at her booth at an Arts and Crafts festival. She asked me if I had anything I could make to try to sell. Well I came up with a simple wood bunny with fabric ears. I made about 15 of them and to my surprise, I sold every one of them for $5 a piece. If time allows, I will try that again. Here is a pic of the bunny.

And if that doesn't work, I'll head to the nearest Mall with my ole guitar and start singing Peter, Paul and Mary songs. Of course, people would give me money just to shut me up. My singing is just as out of tune as my guitar is.   HAR

Sally

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 05:07:14 am »
Donna you are awesome. You know I have  to you all this. When I first thought of the Chat Marathon, I thought I was nuts and then I kept thinking about it and on and on. And it was so much fun that Lexi and I are doing it again next summer.  I plan to try to raise funs for it starting in Jan. You are so creative Donna that I admire you and Indy for the ability to make things.

Yes everyone, if you have any ideas post them, one never knews what would be of interest to people.  Thanks Donna!

chris-play

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 11:53:51 am »
 Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah! Donna! You are an inspiration ... I need to find something fun and enough interesting for people to buy, too!  Scratch chin
Let's see ... I can cook but I am not a baker ... I am definitely not good with arts and crafts ... I have not been in the US long enough to have enough junk to organize a garage sale ...  Scratch chin ...  Lightup ... what I can do is find someone to do something for me!!!
Stay tuned ... I am on a mission and will keep you posted!!  Rolling On Floor Laughing

Jena

• happy bibliophile, and "crazy" cat lady
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 12:11:41 pm »
Donna, you are so creative! Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!

donna

• Founding Backup #695
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 02:02:52 pm »
Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah! Donna! You are an inspiration ... I need to find something fun and enough interesting for people to buy, too!  Scratch chin
Let's see ... I can cook but I am not a baker ... I am definitely not good with arts and crafts ... I have not been in the US long enough to have enough junk to organize a garage sale ...  Scratch chin ...  Lightup ... what I can do is find someone to do something for me!!!
Stay tuned ... I am on a mission and will keep you posted!!  Rolling On Floor Laughing

Cris, You can always run into a busy intersection with a bucket and collect from cars as I mentioned at the meeting. Just make sure you wear a bright orange vest so people can see you.   Rolling On Floor Laughing  And when you are running from car to car, that is also great training for the marathon.   Thumbs Up

Jessica

• Founding Backup #674
  • Her Most Excellent Majesty of the Royal Order of the Knights of Media
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 03:27:42 pm »
Donna, you are amazing!

The bunny is really cute!

rhonda

• Founding Backup #488
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2008, 10:06:19 pm »

May I make a few suggestions?? . . . you say no.  Well, I'm gonna anyway.  Cheeky

#1  Stand on the street corner with your pants leggs rolled up holding a tin can.   Perhaps the old gents will drop a quarter now and then into the can.    Yikes
#2  Don't you play a flute or something.  Try that on the street corner as well.   Rolling On Floor Laughing
#3  If you don't bake, cook some Italian food and sell it on the street corner.   Clapping
#4  If any of those do not work alone, then do all three at the same time.  Surely you will get attention then.   Thumbs Up

Good luck  Rock On sign

rhonda

• Founding Backup #488
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2008, 10:08:01 pm »
Donna, since you are working so hard, I am going to let the above slap be free.  But don't start expecting any more   Cheeky

Tell Miss Prissy hello!!

donna

• Founding Backup #695
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2008, 05:01:07 am »
Donna, since you are working so hard, I am going to let the above slap be free.  But don't start expecting any more   Cheeky

Tell Miss Prissy hello!!

I thought I had 4 more free slaps.  Dunno  Miss Prissy has been on vacation so I have been keeping track. I could be wrong.   Dunno
Miss Prissy says hello. 

donna

• Founding Backup #695
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2008, 05:30:20 am »
I started my baking tonight and of course since its Halloween time, I had to dress the part. I'm not sure what I am but I loved the bubba teeth.
It thure waz hard ta talk wif dem thingz on.

I made two cakes and some mini cupcakes. I froze the cakes and will decorate them later when needed. I did decorate some cupcakes for delivery tomorrow.
 More Details Later

sueintucson

• Founding Backup #676
  • intelligent, diplomatic, inquisitve, serene
    • Melinda Doolittle Backup
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2008, 05:35:21 am »
Wonderful cupcakes, Donna!

And I LOVE your apron!   Rolling On Floor Laughing Rolling On Floor Laughing Rolling On Floor Laughing
Sue

www.myspace.com/sueintucson

Stand often in the company of dreamers:
  they tickle your common sense & believe you can achieve
  things which are impossible.
          maryanne radmacher

Alan

• Founding Backup #372
  • cool, steely master technophile.
    • Chandler's Zen
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2008, 07:08:18 am »
Love the Apron  Rolling On Floor Laughing Rolling On Floor Laughing Rolling On Floor Laughing

Jena

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2008, 09:51:41 am »

May I make a few suggestions?? . . . you say no.  Well, I'm gonna anyway.  Cheeky

#1  Stand on the street corner with your pants leggs rolled up holding a tin can.   Perhaps the old gents will drop a quarter now and then into the can.    Yikes
#2  Don't you play a flute or something.  Try that on the street corner as well.   Rolling On Floor Laughing
#3  If you don't bake, cook some Italian food and sell it on the street corner.   Clapping
#4  If any of those do not work alone, then do all three at the same time.  Surely you will get attention then.   Thumbs Up

Good luck  Rock On sign
Rolling On Floor Laughing Rolling On Floor Laughing Rolling On Floor Laughing Winner Rhonda.

Alan

• Founding Backup #372
  • cool, steely master technophile.
    • Chandler's Zen
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2008, 09:54:32 am »
Jena, what you won't realise is that the picture of Donna baking these cakes has her wearing and apron.  And written in big yellow writing on the apron is ...   More Details Later

Jena

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2008, 09:55:57 am »
 Rolling On Floor Laughing Rolling On Floor Laughing Rolling On Floor Laughing Rolling On Floor Laughing That's great!

Thanks Alan. Big hug