Author Topic: Calling for ideas  (Read 5526 times)

Alan

• Founding Backup #372
  • cool, steely master technophile.
    • Chandler's Zen
Calling for ideas
« on: June 29, 2008, 08:41:20 pm »
What are we going to do outside of this forum to get the buzz going for Melinda's new single and then the CD.

Post your ideas here.

Jena

• happy bibliophile, and "crazy" cat lady
Re: Calling for ideas
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 11:23:55 pm »
Ok, what I'm talking about here is not spam, as I envision it.  When we hear the single and figure out what kind of station format it fits, couldn't we all politely Email requests to the top-rated station of that format in big cities?  Or could we pick out top-rated syndicated morning radio shows that would play it and Email them?  If they get one request for something, I think they'd be likely to ignore it.  But forty or fifty politely-phrased requests over a 72-hour period or something might make somebody take notice.  (And so we won't be lying, we could listen to the station over the Internet, so we could say, "I listen online," "I love (fill in something that shows your familiarity with the station)."  I've always thought the Steve Harvey Morning Show would be perfect to play Melinda's music.  Steve is a comedian, but now he has this syndicated radio show, and the first half-hour every morning is praise and worship, then the talk show comes in, but he also plays music he loves, and the songs he likes match perfectly with what I imagine Melinda's CD would sound like.

I wonder if Melinda will put a fifteen or twenty-second sample of her single on her Myspace.  I've heard a lot of bands getting major exposure that way.

Well, just a couple of ideas, but please remember, I have no idea what I'm talking about, so take them with a grain of salt.  LOL sign

Jena

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 11:48:41 pm »
Ok, I just discovered there were other topics in this board, and I read "Promoting Melinda, her request."  If my idea falls in the lines of promoting her nationally, which we aren't supposed to do, please disregard it.  Alan, tell me, and I'll delete these posts, if they go that way.

Alan

• Founding Backup #372
    • Chandler's Zen
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 12:01:31 am »
Ok, I just discovered there were other topics in this board, and I read "Promoting Melinda, her request."  If my idea falls in the lines of promoting her nationally, which we aren't supposed to do, please disregard it.  Alan, tell me, and I'll delete these posts, if they go that way.

The request is that we leave to her management attempts to get her on to national TV shows.  It requires expensive preparation for these opportunities and they want to be in control of the timing.  I think the local efforts are fine.

alex

• Founding Backup #489
  • Baby Backup
  • Melinda Doolittle=Best Singer Ever
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 03:17:46 am »
I'll request the single at the radio stations and I'll start a lot of threads at americanidol.com about the CD and single and will write about it in threads. I'll think of more ways I can promote Melinda

xldb

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 04:06:16 am »
I looked at Elliot's fansite to get ideas.  One of the things they suggested was to download another single along with Melinda's.  This will trigger a "people who bought this also bought......." message.     For example, if enough people download Melinda's single and Jennifer Hudson's single at the same time, when people go to download Jhud's single they would see the message "people who bought this also bought Melinda's single"   The key is to find an artist who sells alot, and who's fans will appreciate Melinda.

It seemed to work for Elliot 
Founding Backup #705

Jena

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 05:13:57 am »
Good idea, Carol! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Winner Winner Winner That's strategy at its best!

mcaro05

• Founding Backup #753
  • Lively, compassionate, gracious, introspective.
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 05:23:46 am »
I have a couple ideas....

If you go to a concert or show where you think the audience would also enjoy Melinda's music, pass out flyers while waiting in line or when everyone is leaving that advertise her album (this works really well if you go see another Idol alum...Sam passed out stuff for Blake when we saw Phil, and also when we saw Jordin, and people totally loved it.)

Go to coffee shops/campus/wherever with your i-pod and have people listen to MFV or melinda's single she is releasing. ask them what they think and then tell them about her album.

Change your myspace/facebook picture and status to promote it.

Post on AI.com, idolforums, mjs blog, livejournal communities..anywhere that has anything to do with idol

Chris Sligh usually promotes his fellow Idol castmates. I'll post a comment in his blog

TALK TO OTHER FANBASES!!! Blake has a new fansite www.idolbored.com where they people are really cool and much less teeny bopper. Sam is pretty much one of the lead people over there, and I know she will help promote Melinda.

donna

• Founding Backup #695
  • Wise, strongwilled, intuitive
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 02:25:50 pm »
Everyone here who has Myspace can keep sending out Bulletins and tell people to forward it with a Bulletin as well. It will spread quickly.

Holly

• Founding Backup # 558
  • Live life with no regrets!
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 02:34:07 pm »
Facebook also Donna     

What about putting something as a signature of all personal emails........

donna

• Founding Backup #695
  • Wise, strongwilled, intuitive
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 08:14:00 pm »
Facebook also Donna     

What about putting something as a signature of all personal emails........

Great idea Holly. I'll be changing my signature tonight. I have heard of Facebook but never have been on it. I'll have to make an account with that too. Maybe we should start a list of all sites we could go to to spread the word. I'll be glad to sign on and start sending. Are there any other sites like Myspace and Facebook? I signed up for Kitty Happy and My Pet and I. It's similar to Myspace where you have friends and you tell about yourself and your interests. These sites have to do with pets but you can post a song on your page and send comments. Every little bit helps..... I'm off to check out Facebook.  Huzzah!

Jena

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 09:11:09 pm »
Friendster is another social networking website that's fairly popular.  I'm not on it, but I've heard about it.  If anybody is on classmates.com, that's a site that could have far-reaching impact, if ylou moved around a lot and attended several schools.  You could reach friends from elementary, JH, HS, all your friends from other schools that were close by, any colleges you attended, and friends from the military, all at once.

For the pet lovers, there is also catster.com.  In essence, you create a myspace for your pets.

Alan

• Founding Backup #372
    • Chandler's Zen
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 10:23:47 pm »
. I'm off to check out Facebook.  Huzzah!

Look for the Melinda's Backups group on facebook.  Holly, Dani, Babz and myself are members (I can't remember if there is anyone else?)

Alan

• Founding Backup #372
    • Chandler's Zen
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 10:24:42 pm »
Friendster is another social networking website that's fairly popular.  I'm not on it, but I've heard about it.  If anybody is on classmates.com, that's a site that could have far-reaching impact, if ylou moved around a lot and attended several schools.  You could reach friends from elementary, JH, HS, all your friends from other schools that were close by, any colleges you attended, and friends from the military, all at once.

For the pet lovers, there is also catster.com.  In essence, you create a myspace for your pets.

Do you have "friends reunited" in the us?

MelindaRules1987

• Founding Backup
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 12:00:41 am »
. I'm off to check out Facebook.  Huzzah!

Look for the Melinda's Backups group on facebook.  Holly, Dani, Babz and myself are members (I can't remember if there is anyone else?)
I think I'm a member.

hilarious