About Melinda > AI6 Concert Reviews

9/05/07 Worcester, MA Concert Review

(1/2) > >>

ghopper:
Boston Herald

‘Idol’atry rules at annual showcase
 By Christopher John Treacy
Thursday, September 6, 2007 - Added 11h ago
Christopher John Treacy is an arts and entertainment writer for the Boston Herald.

TV’s “American Idol” corrodes our collective ear for charismatic vocalists and has evolved into a showcase of mediocrity. Its contestants are usually decent at any number of entertaining tasks, but few of them excel at anything in particular.

But just try and tell that to the adoring legions of Idol fans that show up every year for the annual “American Idols Live! Tour” - as they did last night at the DCU Center in Worcester.

The show opened with the season six troupe’s rendition of the Black Eyed Peas’ “Let’s Get it Started,” which felt contrived, stiff and inappropriate. American Idols just can’t carry hip-hop (something we ought to be thankful for), even of the watered down variety.

Up next were gown-clad divas Melinda Doolittle and Lakisha Jones, sparking off a fun Motown medley with a pair of Supremes tunes before pretty boy Chris Richardson joined in for “I Heard It Through the Grapevine.” Phil Stacey’s version of Bon Jovi’s “Blaze of Glory” was a surprising triumph all over again, but Chris Sligh and Gina Glocksen should’ve stayed away from Fall Out Boy’s “Thnks Fr Th Mmrs.” Their limp reading robbed the song of what little muscle it may have had. Likewise, Glocksen’s take on Pink’s “Who Knew” was thoroughly generic.

Between extra rehearsal time and live audio technology, it’s easier for the Idols to sound great on tour than on the tinny TV. So marginal singers like Haley Scarnato sound entirely passable doing tricky tunes like Martina McBride’s “When God-Fearin’ Women Get the Blues.” Meanwhile, Sanjaya Malakar’s cover of Wacko Jacko’s “The Way You Make Me Feel” seemed entirely appropriate given their mutually uncertain sexual projections and delusional preening.

Other high points included “Kiki” Jones’ powerhouse cover of the Whitney-does-Dolly epic “I Will Always Love You,” and Doolittle did lots with a churchy run through the Goffin/King classic “(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman.” Chris Sligh belted Mute Math’s “Typical” with feeling, and the reigning Idol, 17-year-old Arizona native Jordin Sparks, set the stage ablaze with the Leiber/Stoller translation of “I (Who Have Nothing)” and a punchy take on Pat Benatar’s “Heartbreaker.”

Some of it was pretty good. None of it was flat-out horrible (though Blake Lewis and Richardson’s duet on Jamiroquai’s “Virtual Insanity” came darn close). But then again, none of it was truly fantastic, either. So, tell me again: Why are we showing up to see these people every year? Because we thrive on mediocrity? Say it isn’t so.

American Idols Live! Tour ’07 At the DCU Center, Worcester, last night. ctreacy2003@yahoo.co

Cindy:
Thanks for this one, Maria. At least Melinda got good reviews - as usual.

OldSchool80s:
These reviews are not surprising.  At least they say something nice about Melinda.  I was pretty much bored silly between the numbers with Meliinda and the one Kiki song.

MelindaRules1987:

--- Quote from: OldSchool80s on September 06, 2007, 09:19:56 pm ---These reviews are not surprising.  At least they say something nice about Melinda.  I was pretty much bored silly between the numbers with Meliinda and the one Kiki song.

--- End quote ---
I thought all of Melinda's numbers were much better than Lakisha's.  Lakisha sounds like she's shouting most of the time.

Desiree:

--- Quote ---none of it was truly fantastic
--- End quote ---

Ouch!   :yikes  To me, that comment cancelled out the compliment he gave to Melinda earlier.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version