Author Topic: Meeting Melinda in Gilbert, AZ (Dreyers Tour Stop 2)  (Read 6642 times)

sueintucson

• Founding Backup #676
  • intelligent, diplomatic, inquisitve, serene
    • Melinda Doolittle Backup
Meeting Melinda in Gilbert, AZ (Dreyers Tour Stop 2)
« on: March 06, 2008, 05:24:47 am »
Hi, everyone, I finally got to meet Melinda in Gilbert today. Huzzah! 

Some of you may know that I'm disabled & have been having some health problems--why I wasn't able to go to Franklin.  I've had a friend visiting me, & she wanted to drive me up to Gilbert!  Desiree suggested that I email Kelley about what the setup was.  Kelley answered back with specific instructions about where to go, etc. She also wrote, "I'm so glad that Backups will be there tomorrow."  Alan had made me a small Backups logo that I could hold up to be recognized.

Gilbert is a s.e. suburb of Phoenix. We did a MapQuest & discovered the Bashas grocery store was in the very southern part of Gilbert & much closer than we expected.  We arrived a little after 3 (Melinda's signing was from 3:30-5:30.), & there were hardly any cars in the parking lot.  When we got inside, there was a small line of 8-10 people.  There was an imposing security guy standing by the table where she would be signing.  I took up my note from Kelley, & he said it would be OK for me to be first in line, so we pulled out my little camp stool, & I sat down.  The mother & 2 sons (probably 4 & 6) who were already there were very accomodating & stood beside me, & we talked a lot while waiting.  (The mother whispered that the boys were really there for the ice cream, & they kept looking over at the table where the guys were fixing the little cups!)

Melinda & Kelley were about 5 minutes late.  I was holding up my Backups logo, but they weren't really focusing on it.  Suddenly, Melinda pointed at me & said, "Sue, get up here right now!"  I guess she recognized me from my myspace photo on Kelley's message.  She came to the side of the table, held out her arms, & said, "I'm going to give you a big, ole hug."  I answered back, "This is what I came for!"  Then she gave me the wonderful Melinda hug that others have described.   Big hug

She then sat down, pulled out her pen, & said, "I'm going to write you a special message," & proceeded to.  She grabbed my hands & talked about how special the Backups are & how much we all mean to her; she is so happy that we are there for her!  She kept repeating that she was so glad I had come to meet her.  While she was holding my hands, she noticed the silver ring splints I wear & told me to find Kelley & show them to her (I guess she thought they were stylin'!) Thumbs Up  I asked her if she had been able to see Jordin during this trip, & she said, "Not yet, but I hope to tonight." Then she said a few more personal things to me & asked about my health, & then it was time for her to get started with the signing.  She was her usual kind & wonderful self!  Rose

I had a few copies of the logo, & as I was looking for Kelley, I walked back through the line & showed them to people.  A couple of them were particularly interested, & we may get a few new members.

I found Kelley in the checkout lane, buying food.  She said she felt like she was coming down with something, so she was buying juice & other things with vitamin C, so she wouldn't give it to Melinda.  She gave me a big hug, & we talked for 10-15 minutes.  She reiterated how much Melinda loves us Backups & how important we are to her & also told a cute story about Melinda going out looking for other Idols' fans (I won't mention which ones!) & saying her Backups were so much better than the others' fan clubs.  She said that Melinda had been writing with Jonny Lang last Friday!

I told Kelley that I had forgotten to tell Melinda what Gale told me, "I'm Sue, & I'm a Backup on crack," (an inside joke related to a comment Melinda made at the AI taping on Monday), & she laughed & promised to tell Melinda.  I said it is amazing how we have become a big family, how Alan had made the logo for me, etc.  We talked about more odds & ends, & as we parted, she said, "Here, I want to give you another hug."  When we left, she was out in the parking lot looking for their driver to ditch the groceries with, but he wasn't there.

Interestingly, because the store was so rural, there weren't many people there, only about 25 people in line.  The woman with the boys said she had heard about it on the radio, but it didn't appear be that well organized.  If I had waited, I probably would have been able to talk with Melinda more, but I was pooped just having gotten there!

Alan, I suggest we make something about the size of a business card, with the logo & website address on it.  I would have loved to have a bunch of them to hand out, & maybe Backups in the later tour stops could do that.  It might help us get more members!

Anyway, I had a wonderful time & was so glad I went!  banana dance   A big thanks to my friend Lee who made it all possible Big hug, & to all of you for being Backups!  World Hug

« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 10:47:34 pm by ghopper »
Sue

www.myspace.com/sueintucson

Stand often in the company of dreamers:
  they tickle your common sense & believe you can achieve
  things which are impossible.
          maryanne radmacher

alex

• Founding Backup #489
  • Baby Backup
  • Melinda Doolittle=Best Singer Ever
Re: Meeting Melinda in Gilbert, AZ (Dreyers tour stop 2)
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 05:31:01 am »
Thanks for the awesome review Sue. Glad you had a great time

ghopper

• Founding Backup #492
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 05:33:37 am »
Sue, I am soooo happy you finally met Melinda and you got a big ole hug!  Wasn't that special?  And Kelley has been so nice to all the Backups she has met.  I love her too!
  Late Night Vamp Club
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What you are is God's gift to you;  What you make of yourself is your gift to God.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

californiafan

• Founding Backup #706
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 05:48:30 am »
Sue, I'm so glad you finally got to meet Melinda. Isn't she wonderful?  Kelley is such a sweetheart too....so open and friendly, just like Melinda!

Elcondado

• Founding Backup #603, Cathy
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 05:54:28 am »
Sue...I am soooo happy for you...I was thinking about you all day today, hoping that it all worked out OK for you....yipeeeee.......

And to let you and everyone know...Cris just made up a flyer the other day that everyone can print off and take with them to the ice cream meetings and any meet and greet with Melinda actually....the flyer tells people about the Backups, and the website and the Marathon and Scholarship etc....so hopefully everyone can remember to print some up and distribute them to the other fans...I'll ask Cris to post a link to it if she hasn't already....

Again, Congrats Sue for getting to meet Melinda and getting some good ole Melinda hugs...so good for the soul.....

Desiree

• Founding Backup #730 - mdoolittle @Jmoffet Can't believe I'm saying this, but listen to @swain1856
  • Web site Team
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 06:00:48 am »
Yay Sue!  I'm so glad you got to meet Melinda and Kelley.   banana dance banana dance banana dance
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

alohabyana

• Founding Backup #590
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 06:50:39 am »
Sue,
I'm so happy you got to meet Melinda.

Aloha,
Ann

Gemini2

• Founding Backup #510
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 08:48:25 am »
Sue I am so glad that you finally got to meet Melinda!

Too bad you couldn't have stayed longer.

And I'm sooo glad that Melinda is getting to meet us "Senior Gals" HAR

Very Happy for you!!!!!

P.S......This is Post# 1000!!!!!!!

Lexi (LMMD)

• Founding Backup #716
  • Engaging, bright, ambitious, kind
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 12:10:52 pm »
Sue, I am so glad that yu finally got to meet Melinda! It sounds like you had a great time, and I loved your review!
Love, Lexi Big hug
We did it!

Jessica

• Founding Backup #674
  • Her Most Excellent Majesty of the Royal Order of the Knights of Media
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 12:37:03 pm »
Sue, I'm soooooooooooooo happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug

chris-play

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 12:39:23 pm »
Sue,
isn't it wonderful that Melinda arrived there near you? And that she had time to spend with you ... something in the stars must have turned the right way for you to be able to have a great time with her!!  Thumbs Up
With the help of the LT I actually made a one page promotional flyer for the backups to take with them at these events. Alan has created a PDF file of it to make it easy for everyone to print. As soon as he comes back from his business trip I will ask him to put a link on the boards for everyone to download and print!

Holly

• Founding Backup # 558
  • Live life with no regrets!
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 12:52:32 pm »
Sue,\  I am sooooooooooo thrilled you got to meet Melinda and Kelly.    Did you takeany photos..
I am so glad Kelley helped you out in the accomadations....... Both of them are preciousl.....
Hold that memory forever in your mind......  Big hug

Shari

• Founding Backup
    • my blog
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 02:22:51 pm »
Aww, Sue!!  I'm so glad you finally got to meet Melinda!!  You deserved this so much, and I'm so glad you had such a truly amazing and special experience.  It never ceases to amaze me how Melinda not only knows all of us, but always goes out of her way to make each experience so special for each and every one of us.  It certainly sounds like she did that for you, and I'm just thrilled for you.  You deserved this so much!!  Thank you so much for sharing the story with us!! Smiley  Congrats again!!
*Dream Big; Work Hard*

Tiger

• Founding Backup
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 05:25:16 pm »
Sue!  Big hug  I'm so glad you met her and got a hug from her!  She is so wonderful and REAL!  Thumbs Up
Don't look down on small beginnings - Melinda.

angel4peace

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 05:39:55 pm »
So glad you finally got to meet Melinda and thank you for sharing your experience with us.
 banana dance banana dance