Author Topic: Allentown Concert  (Read 2345 times)

melindarools

• Founding Backup
Allentown Concert
« on: September 03, 2007, 07:06:52 am »
another short but sweet Melinda review Cheesy

American Idols Tour 2007 at the Allentown Fair on Saturday. (EMILY ROBSON/SPECIAL TO TMC / September 1, 2007)

By Jodi Duckett | Of The Morning Call
12:26 AM EDT, September 2, 2007

The American Idols came to the Allentown Fair on Saturday night and put on a show that was entertaining and fun, with good singing, good songs, a good five-piece backup band and two backup singers, and good spirit.

And I'm not even a big fan.

For big fans of the Fox TV talent show -- and there were 7,593 of them in the grandstand -- the concert was the ultimate fix -- Blake beatboxing, Sanjaya swinging his hair and his hips, Melinda and Lakisha belting out soul, and winner Jordin beaming good vibes with her giant smile and powerful voice. (No last names necessary; indeed, not a one was uttered during the concert).

The Idols sang solos and joined in twosomes, threesomes and more interesting and unexpected combinations, with Jordin doing almost all solos in deference to her position. The Idols sang -- and sometimes played -- nearly three dozen songs over three hours (with a half-hour intermission) -- doing musical genres from rock to hip-hop to country with all the versatility that Idols are known for.

The touring show, now entering the final month of its three-month run, was a great opportunity to compare the star power of the 10 finalists of Season 6 and reflect on whether the results made sense.

My verdict: the results were as they should have been.

Jordin Sparks has the vocals, the moves and the attitude of a star. And runner-up Blake Lewis, who seemed to inspire the loudest screaming, is impressively multitalented.

All the Idols were impressive in one way or another -- mostly for their singing talents, of course, although Sanjaya Malakar, Season 6's most flamboyant finalist, proved (and actually said) that it's hardly just about the singing. His voice didn't measure up to the rest, but he radiated energy, especially in his single solo when he floating across the stage with Michael Jackson-style moonwalking and other dance moves as he sang Jackson's "The Way You Make Me Feel." Sanjaya also provided the show's only PG moment -- some Jackson-style crotch grabbing that didn't quite have the Jackson style.

Sanjaya offered some of the show's most notable moments. Here's a handful more.

* The opening number, "Let's Get It Started," featuring all the Idols appearing one by one around the simple two-level metal set, exuding contagious energy and individual styles.

* A stirring duo by Jordin and Chris Richardson that featured them sitting on stools, strumming their acoustic guitars and singing Rascal Flatts' ballad "What Hurts the Most."

* A multiple-song showcase by Blake, featuring alternating beatboxing and singing on "Time of the Season" and an exercise in the art of electronic looping with Maroon 5's "She Will Be Loved" and U2's "With or Without You."

* A beatbox duel between Blake and Chris Richardson (who proved to be the most versatile of all).

* A number featuring the five guys in their own band -- Chris Richardson on drums, Chris Sligh on bass, Sanjaya and Blake on guitar, and Phil Stacey on drums.

* Lakisha Jones looking quite beautiful and singing quite beautifully on "I Will Always Love You."

*Melinda Doolittle's powerhouse rendition of "You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman."

* Gina Glocksen giving a hey to Marisa Rhodes of Bethlehem, who just missed making it into the final 24. "She got robbed," said Glocksen.

Jessica

• Founding Backup #674
  • Her Most Excellent Majesty of the Royal Order of the Knights of Media
Re: Allentown Concert
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 09:32:45 pm »
Natural Woman:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUY5Xfwoxkc

This woman is amazing!

sueintucson

• Founding Backup #676
  • intelligent, diplomatic, inquisitve, serene
    • Melinda Doolittle Backup
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 11:38:40 pm »
They didn't seem to have her running quite as far across the front as earlier.  And the backup's part keeps growing & growing.
Melinda's singing is just wonderful!
Sue

www.myspace.com/sueintucson

Stand often in the company of dreamers:
  they tickle your common sense & believe you can achieve
  things which are impossible.
          maryanne radmacher

Shari

• Founding Backup
    • my blog
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 11:43:39 pm »
Thanks for posting the review!!
*Dream Big; Work Hard*

Desiree

• Founding Backup #730 - mdoolittle @Jmoffet Can't believe I'm saying this, but listen to @swain1856
  • Web site Team
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 01:42:04 am »
They didn't seem to have her running quite as far across the front as earlier.  And the backup's part keeps growing & growing.
Melinda's singing is just wonderful!

She looked tired to me  Sad
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Gemini2

• Founding Backup #510
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 03:29:45 am »
I hope she's not too tired.
But I liked this easier paced performance better than running all around.
Who knows, before it's over Melinda may end up with a duet with her Backup singer.....well at least on that last part!

Backup641

• Founding Backup #641
  • Keeper of Melinda's OCD
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 06:00:17 am »
That was a nice recording... whoever recorded was able to keep in on her really well without shaking all around.  She sounds wonderful of course!  She's just amazing!
Linda
http://www.myspace.com/melsbackup4eva

Let's see... JESUS, EAT, SLEEP... yep, sounds like Melinda has her priorities straight to me!

Tiger

• Founding Backup
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 06:05:58 am »
She sounds great but she does seem tired.  I wonder if that was the day she took Sudafed PM Wink Cheesy
Don't look down on small beginnings - Melinda.

Jessica

• Founding Backup #674
  • Her Most Excellent Majesty of the Royal Order of the Knights of Media
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 10:21:42 pm »