So the first thing you need to know about this show is that the set is amazing! See photo one below. It has a fully functioning bar on stage where patrons can get a drink before the show starts or at intermission.
Secondly, all eight cast members are on stage (excepting a short break to change clothes) for the entire show. Melinda is the last one to "arrive" at Smokey Joe's Cafe for the reunion of old friends. Diva! See picture two.
There were some fabulous singers in this show. I don't have time to review every song so I'll just hit a few highlights.Act I:Trouble
- duet between Amanda (see next song for full name) and Melinda. Actually not one of my favorites. Hearing Melinda sing "I'm Evil" didn't work for me.Love Me / Don't
- fabulous, beautiful duet by Amanda Sudano Ramirez (Donna Summer's daughter) and Abner Ramirez who are married to each other. There is a picture of the two of them singing this song on Melinda's facebook page.Fools Fall In Love
- this is the more uptempo, jazzy version that Melinda sings. I liked the slower reprise in Act II better.Don Juan
- hilarious song performed by Laura Matula. There is also a picture of Laura sitting on the bar between two guys singing this song on Melinda's facebook. Watching Melinda's face while everyone else is singing is a lot fun. I thought Melinda was going to fall on the floor laughing during this song. At the end of the song, when Laura says "You thought I was going to say something else, didn't you?", she is looking at Melinda and Melinda is laughing and nodding her head.Saved
- Melinda closes Act I and takes us to church with this rousing rendition. You might recall that Crystal Bowersox sang it on American Idol. I believe the third picture below was taken during this number.Act IIPearl's a Singer
- gorgeous torch song from Libby Hodges.You're the Boss
- sexy duet between Harvey A. Hubert and Melinda. My recording doesn't do it justice. My second favorite song from the show. See the last picture.Hound Dog
- I loved hearing Melinda sing this song. After all, Elvis stole it from Mama Thornton and it's about time a woman stole it back because the original lyrics as sung by Mama Thornton made more sense. In the song before this one, Abner is singing Treat Me Nice and flirts with Melinda. He really does "act like a dog" in the song so Melinda is pointing her finger and singing this song at him, not the audience, which is why there is so much laughter. It is my favorite performance (by a slim margin) in the show.I'm A Woman
- Melinda takes the opening part in this number sung by the women.Fools Fall In Love (Reprise)
- Melinda does an awesome job on this song.Spanish Harlem
- beautiful version of this song by Harvey A. HubertI (Who Have Nothing)
- I wasn't sure I wanted to hear this song since it has been done so often on American Idol but Abner did a great job with it!
In case you can't tell, I liked Act II better than Act I.
You can see the entire list of songs from the show on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smokey_Joe%27s_Cafe