Author Topic: Smokey Joe's Cafe [audio]  (Read 3176 times)

Desiree

• Founding Backup #730 - mdoolittle @Jmoffet Can't believe I'm saying this, but listen to @swain1856
Smokey Joe's Cafe [audio]
« on: September 24, 2012, 02:35:35 am »
So the first thing you need to know about this show is that the set is amazing!  See photo one below.  It has a fully functioning bar on stage where patrons can get a drink before the show starts or at intermission. 

Secondly, all eight cast members are on stage (excepting a short break to change clothes) for the entire show.  Melinda is the last one to "arrive" at Smokey Joe's Cafe for the reunion of old friends.  Diva!  See picture two.

There were some fabulous singers in this show.  I don't have time to review every song so I'll just hit a few highlights.

Act I:

Trouble - duet between Amanda (see next song for full name) and Melinda.  Actually not one of my favorites.  Hearing Melinda sing "I'm Evil" didn't work for me.

Love Me / Don't - fabulous, beautiful duet by Amanda Sudano Ramirez (Donna Summer's daughter) and Abner Ramirez who are married to each other.  There is a picture of the two of them singing this song on Melinda's facebook page.

Fools Fall In Love - this is the more uptempo, jazzy version that Melinda sings.  I liked the slower reprise in Act II better.

Don Juan - hilarious song performed by Laura Matula.  There is also a picture of Laura sitting on the bar between two guys singing this song on Melinda's facebook.  Watching Melinda's face while everyone else is singing is a lot fun.  I thought Melinda was going to fall on the floor laughing during this song.  At the end of the song, when Laura says "You thought I was going to say something else, didn't you?", she is looking at Melinda and Melinda is laughing and nodding her head.

Saved - Melinda closes Act I and takes us to church with this rousing rendition.  You might recall that Crystal Bowersox sang it on American Idol.  I believe the third picture below was taken during this number.

Act II

Pearl's a Singer - gorgeous torch song from Libby Hodges.

You're the Boss - sexy duet between Harvey A. Hubert and Melinda.  My recording doesn't do it justice.  My second favorite song from the show.  See the last picture.

Hound Dog - I loved hearing Melinda sing this song.  After all, Elvis stole it from Mama Thornton and it's about time a woman stole it back because the original lyrics as sung by Mama Thornton made more sense.  In the song before this one, Abner is singing Treat Me Nice and flirts with Melinda.  He really does "act like a dog" in the song so Melinda is pointing her finger and singing this song at him, not the audience, which is why there is so much laughter.  It is my favorite performance (by a slim margin) in the show.

I'm A Woman - Melinda takes the opening part in this number sung by the women.

Fools Fall In Love (Reprise) - Melinda does an awesome job on this song.

Spanish Harlem - beautiful version of this song by Harvey A. Hubert

I (Who Have Nothing) - I wasn't sure I wanted to hear this song since it has been done so often on American Idol but Abner did a great job with it!

In case you can't tell, I liked Act II better than Act I.   LOL sign

You can see the entire list of songs from the show on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smokey_Joe%27s_Cafe
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 03:33:58 pm by Desiree »
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Gemini2

• Founding Backup #510
Re: Smokey Joe's Cafe
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 03:27:33 am »
 Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!

Thank You!!! THank You!!!  Thank You!!!!

I was hoping you had recorded some of the songs! And you didn't let me down!
 Big hug   Big hug   Big hug   Big hug   Big hug

That set was FABULOUS!!!! I would of gotten a drink just to get on stage! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

sueintucson

• Founding Backup #676
  • intelligent, diplomatic, inquisitve, serene
    • Melinda Doolittle Backup
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 04:56:50 am »
Thanks, Desiree!!

Was Abner on the cruise with us??     Dunno
Sue

www.myspace.com/sueintucson

Stand often in the company of dreamers:
  they tickle your common sense & believe you can achieve
  things which are impossible.
          maryanne radmacher

ghopper

• Founding Backup #492
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 06:54:36 am »
 Thanks  Des!!!!
  Late Night Vamp Club
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What you are is God's gift to you;  What you make of yourself is your gift to God.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Richard

Re: Smokey Joe's Cafe [audio]
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 04:45:01 pm »
 Thanks Des!

Desiree

• Founding Backup #730 - mdoolittle @Jmoffet Can't believe I'm saying this, but listen to @swain1856
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 03:03:13 am »
Thanks, Desiree!!

Was Abner on the cruise with us??     Dunno

So I was looking at old videos tonight.  Is the Abner that was on the 2008 It's A Wonderful Christmas tour, the same Abner that was in Smokey Joe's Cafe?  Maybe that's where you remember him from Sue.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

sueintucson

• Founding Backup #676
  • intelligent, diplomatic, inquisitve, serene
    • Melinda Doolittle Backup
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 05:47:38 am »
Desiree,

You're probably right.  If I remember correctly, Maria came & took me to Phoenix to see the "It's a Wonderful Christmas" show, so I probably saw him there.
Sue

www.myspace.com/sueintucson

Stand often in the company of dreamers:
  they tickle your common sense & believe you can achieve
  things which are impossible.
          maryanne radmacher

Tiger

• Founding Backup
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 06:23:12 am »
Wow...just Wow! Huzzah!  Thanks!
Don't look down on small beginnings - Melinda.

hilarious