Author Topic: British X-Factor, Backing Singer decides to step into the limelight  (Read 3010 times)

Alan

• Founding Backup #372
  • cool, steely master technophile.
    • Chandler's Zen
Just managed to watch a recording of Sunday nights X-Factor auditions.

A 45 year old Backing Singer, rather shy and humble, comes on stage and says that he feels its time for him to step into the limelight.

And then blew the roof off the venue.

It so reminded me of that similar moment back in 2007.

I am keeping my eye on Anton Stephans

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdOO-2w8JGE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdOO-2w8JGE</a>

Desiree

• Founding Backup #730 - mdoolittle @Jmoffet Can't believe I'm saying this, but listen to @swain1856
  • Web site Team
Re: British X-Factor, Backing Singer decides to step into the limelight
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 12:02:18 am »
Rickey Minor made the same comparison to Melinda.  He will definitely be one to watch.  I don't watch X-factor so keep us posted Alan!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

ghopper

• Founding Backup #492
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 04:54:25 pm »
There's something compelling about a talent who musters up enough courage to step up and still not realize how good he is.  You just want to go along on the journey.   Thumbs Up
  Late Night Vamp Club
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What you are is God's gift to you;  What you make of yourself is your gift to God.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jena

• happy bibliophile, and "crazy" cat lady
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 09:37:30 pm »
 Clapping He's awesome! Rocker

happybackup

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 11:47:57 pm »
Sounds like some of us watch this from the states. Is that true? When is it on and what channel? I agree Alan, sounds so similar to the great (albeit humble) one.

Alan

• Founding Backup #372
    • Chandler's Zen
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 10:57:50 am »
Last night they had the first round at bootcamp - where they had to form groups and perform in a group. 

They showed Simon whispering to the other judges that he appeared to be a bit of a Diva, but he got through to the next round despite appearing to forget the words at one point.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmh8xmUI104" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmh8xmUI104</a>

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 11:06:49 am by Alan »

Alan

• Founding Backup #372
    • Chandler's Zen
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 09:32:22 am »

Six chair challenge round.  You have just got to love his patter at the beginning and his emotion at the end

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPV9ZzhlgSU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPV9ZzhlgSU</a>

And just to confirm, he still had a chair at the end of the evening.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 09:36:40 am by Alan »

Jena

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 02:51:34 pm »
 Rolling On Floor Laughing He's got a great personality!

Desiree

• Founding Backup #730 - mdoolittle @Jmoffet Can't believe I'm saying this, but listen to @swain1856
  • Web site Team
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2015, 12:21:50 am »
 Thumbs Up

How come there are four judges but it was Simon's decision?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Alan

• Founding Backup #372
    • Chandler's Zen
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015, 08:42:01 am »
Thumbs Up

How come there are four judges but it was Simon's decision?

Just before the start of the 6 chair challenge round, each Judge got allocated their category (according to a public vote of which judge should get which category).  Simon got the over 25s

Each category has 6 chairs, and the judge who has that category has to decided based on this performance whether the artist gets a chair.  Once the 6 chairs are full, then they can only give a chair by swapping someone out.  To get each of the 4 categories to allocate their 6 chairs took two programs.  All judges were present, but could only give advice when it wasn't their category.

I have to say, I found all this judges angst a bit fake.  It seemed to me from the Simon's comments during Anton's performance (and before) it was like he was easily going to select him.  But then he just took ages saying so - maybe just to make better TV, who knows.

Incidentally, they had a new twist to Judges Houses round last night. In previous years, the decision of which 3 from the 6 would make it through to the live shows was taken at the house immediately after all the performances and then told to the contestants during the next day.  This year, they didn't decide then but we had a segment back in front of the live audience and the judge announced his decision then.  He picked two, then listened to advice from the other judges (and the live audience opinion) on the third before picking them.

Anton got through as the second pick in Simon's category.

Alan

• Founding Backup #372
    • Chandler's Zen
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2015, 01:55:36 pm »

Judges house performance

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w690UsFpcA8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w690UsFpcA8</a>

Desiree

• Web site Team
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2015, 11:54:39 pm »
I really liked the beginning of Superstar.  He knows how to bring out the emotion of the song.   

Alan

• Founding Backup #372
    • Chandler's Zen
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2015, 06:38:49 am »
His performances during the live shows has not been as good as it appears he was earlier.  They had the technical capability, but somehow his personality didn't come out as much.

Anyway, the show has been brutal, with two going home each week (I presume that the ratings have dropped and therefore X Factor gets less airtime) and this last week they sent one (with the lowest votes) home on the Saturday show and there was a sing off on Sunday results show for 6th place which Anton lost - but with clear age bias from the judges.

Jena

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2015, 06:49:03 am »
Aww, that's too bad. Sad

Desiree

• Web site Team
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2015, 12:21:35 pm »
The best ones never win but hopefully he will have a shot at a solo career.