Author Topic: Rank Something! The Top 5 Most Talented ‘American Idol’ Contestants Ever  (Read 2659 times)

Desiree

• Founding Backup #730 - mdoolittle @Jmoffet Can't believe I'm saying this, but listen to @swain1856
2. Melinda Doolittle (Season 6. Finish: third)

The rare artist who benefited from “Idol” pushing her into unfamiliar genres (her rock rendition of Bon Jovi’s “Have a Nice Day” killed), but a postshow retreat into safe soul territory has made her a footnote in the music industry.

http://6thfloor.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/07/rank-something-the-top-5-most-talented-american-idol-contestants-ever/
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Jena

• happy bibliophile, and "crazy" cat lady
I'm reasonably Ok that she's 2 in the top five most talented AI contestants ever.  Not completely OK, because she should be 1, but reasonably so.

BUT
I have many many words for "safe soul territory", and "footnote in music history."  Many . many . many . words. Enraged Sadly, I find that none of those words are acceptable according to the posting guidelines so lovingly set forth by our esteemed leadership team. Help sign Lest I should offend the delicate sensibilities of the posting guidelines, I will now leave the forum temporarily, so that I am not tempted to expound on my words. Running away

Desiree

• Founding Backup #730 - mdoolittle @Jmoffet Can't believe I'm saying this, but listen to @swain1856
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

rhonda

• Founding Backup #488
I'm reasonably Ok that she's 2 in the top five most talented AI contestants ever.  Not completely OK, because she should be 1, but reasonably so.

BUT
I have many many words for "safe soul territory", and "footnote in music history."  Many . many . many . words. Enraged Sadly, I find that none of those words are acceptable according to the posting guidelines so lovingly set forth by our esteemed leadership team. Help sign Lest I should offend the delicate sensibilities of the posting guidelines, I will now leave the forum temporarily, so that I am not tempted to expound on my words. Running away

I'm lost. . . is Jena trying to make a point??   Dunno

Jena

Desiree

Melinda wrote a blog about this on her website in case anyone hasn't seen it.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013
My Top 5 Perspective

Elcondado

• Founding Backup #603, Cathy
Melinda wrote a blog about this on her website in case anyone hasn't seen it.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013
My Top 5 Perspective

I really loved reading Melinda's blog on this topic..brought tears to my eyes...first, because I wanted to take away the pain and disappointment she was feeling...she just doesn't deserve those hurts....but then reading on, I was reminded of why I admire her so...chewing the hay and spitting out the sticks...making that honest assessment of herself...and then tossing that "footnote" statement where it clearly belongs...OUT! And finally, to look forward and to continue living her life for her, and not trying to please or impress anyone else.  Such a role model to us all.  Rose Rose

Jena

All right, . . maybe I can do this without getting kicked off the forum. Dunno

"retreating into safe soul territory"
WHAT'S WRONG WITH SOUL?
I LIKE SOUL!

Soul music is some of the most real heartfelt music on the planet!  And it deserves respect!  I never heard anybody being critical of Aretha Franklin for not singing country and western!  I never once remember anybody critiquing James Brown because he didn't "broaden his musical range" and sing Broadway songs or hit parade music!  If you do a thing, you love it, and you are an exquisite talent at it, what's wrong with that?  Melinda has in my humble eight-thousand-artist-listenin opinion, the most soulful voice I've heard in the last twenty-five years!  That's something to be proud of!  I hear a lot of singers, who make a lot of effort, work hard, and never manage to sing with soul!  So in conclusion, this author's use of the phrase "safe territory" to describe the most powerful, genuine, and eloquent genre in music is a clear indicator of his/her musical ignorance, not any frailty or vulnerability on the part of Melinda's talent.
Next, did this writer listen to a different album than I did?  Because I heard soul, gospel, jazz, blues, and ballads on "Coming Back to You."  The vast majority of albums, especially these days, seem to contain ten or twelve songs that sound similar to one another, so it seems to me that Melinda's CD actually went above and beyond the call of multi-genre entertainment.

"footnote in the music industry"
Well I'm sorry, Melinda.  I guess he's right.  I guess you are a footnote in the music industry. Crying I mean really . . what have you done?
recorded a multi-genre album that received critical acclaim
wrote an amazing book filled with sincerity and wisdom
performed on TV shows
made appearances at countless events, and donated your time and talent, to support any number of causes
treated your fans with love and respect (you just jumped ahead of 85% of performers right there)
treated your detractors with love and respect, and handled criticism with grace and dignity (you just jumped ahead of everybody right there)
held fast to your character, morals, and values in spite of fame and fortune
brought together the most incredible, compassionate, and diverse group of people on the planet in Melinda's Backups
inspired many of Melinda's backups to conquer their fears, chase their dreams, and do things they never imagined possible
indirectly saved thousands of lives, by all the work you do on behalf of Malaria No More, and all the work you inspire others to do
That's a "footnote in the music industry" if I ever saw one! Faint And I haven't even touched on the differences you've made to individuals.
I'm just one person, depending on who you ask and how you look at things, maybe worth something, maybe not worth much of anything.  But I can tell you that just for me personally;
You've recorded music that has stirred my soul and made me feel somethin.
Said music so motivated me, that I taught myself to use a computer and go on the Internet to hear more of it.
Said music has been the soundtrack to the best times of my life, and soothed me through the worst times.
Thanks to that music that prompted me to teach myself how to use a computer, the computer then led me to job opportunities, greater confidence, and worlds of information in the form of accessible books.
You brought to me a group of friends so much the treasures of my heart, that I couldn't have imagined them if I'd tried!  You brought me a second family!  And we never would have heard of one another at all, if it hadn't been for you.
Your work with Malaria No More, and those friends you caused me to have, inspired me to get healthier, gain more confidence, help others, and walk a half marathon!
I am a better person, my life is unrecognizable now, to what it was six years ago, just because of you being the performer, and the person, that you are.
And that's what you've done, just for ME, . . by being a "footnote in the music industry."
So you know what?
I'm not sure what this is worth, but Thank You Melinda!   With all my heart I thank you!  Please continue to be exactly what you are.  A shallow snobby critic may call you a footnote in the music industry, but I call you a star!

hilarious