Author Topic: Thank You Letter from Student receiving the Doolittle Scholarship  (Read 3005 times)

Alan

• Founding Backup #372
  • cool, steely master technophile.
    • Chandler's Zen
Dear Melinda Doolittle and fan club,

I cannot find all the words to express my full appreciation for being chosen as a recipient of the Melinda Doolittle Endowed Scholarship. The path to funding my academic venture has been very uncertain and challenging. Knowing that someone trusts me and believes in my capabilities enough to give their own money to help cover my incapabilities is humbling and gives me so much gratefulness.
           Along with the training I receive from the classes within the School of Music, I take advantage of growing from the many extra-curricular projects into which I invest. During my time at Belmont I have been cast in four mainstage musicals (including my role as “Ren” in this semester’s production of Footloose), joined the Belmont Dance Company, worked in the Office of Development as a fundraiser, performed as a featured soloist within SOM ensembles, choreographed for multiple recitals, and acted in other fully-staged productions that range from student run to professional and union run. I also serve as the secretary for the Christian Theatre Fellowship and am a member of Alpha Psi Omega Honor Society for theatre and dance.
            I am looking forward to applying the degree that this scholarship supports as a performer in both live and recorded medias. I have high hopes of eventually working in production for both music and dance (especially working with tap dancing) in the television, film, and musical theatre industries. In the nearer future, I plan to continue to perform professionally, as school allows, until I graduate from Belmont University in May 2014 and move to New York City, in order to investigate the many opportunities of a big coastal town.
            Once again, I so deeply appreciate your recognition of my need for this scholarship, and I look forward to keeping you posted on the future achievements your contributions will help me to obtain.

Sincerely,

Alex Rader

californiafan

• Founding Backup #706
Re: Thank You Letter from Student receiving the Doolittle Scholarship
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 11:18:16 pm »
Its nice to know that the scholarship is really working and that someone is striving toward their dream!!  banana dance

Desiree

• Founding Backup #730 - mdoolittle @Jmoffet Can't believe I'm saying this, but listen to @swain1856
  • Web site Team
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 11:27:59 pm »
Aww, thanks for the letter Alex!  Looking forward to hearing about all the great things that will happen in your future.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Holly

• Founding Backup # 558
  • Live life with no regrets!
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 12:37:39 am »
How cool..... thanks Alan.....

Jena

• happy bibliophile, and "crazy" cat lady
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 10:57:13 am »
 Unbelievable Smiley So glad that the scholarship helps you realize your dreams, Alex!!!  Best of luck to you for all your future endeavors. Thanks for the kind words!  banana dance Melinda on Top of the world

happybackup

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 06:24:58 am »
I notice that Alex just graduated (scheduled for May 2014) and he may be off to NYC by now. It is letters like this that make the work of putting those funds together worth it. I remember having the joy of attending the ceremony at Belmont setting this scholarship up (several of us were there). I remember the school representatives saying how rare it is for one of these scholarships to ever get off the ground, but we had the tenacity to keep going with it. Makes me want to add to it and keep it growing so we can choose more scholarship candidates.

Desiree

• Founding Backup #730 - mdoolittle @Jmoffet Can't believe I'm saying this, but listen to @swain1856
  • Web site Team
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 03:46:00 pm »
Yes!  I believe we need to get around $100,000 in the fund before it is self-sustaining.

I believe Alex only received a small scholarship and if we don't contribute more in the next three years, Belmont will put the scholarship on hold until more money is available.  I'll try to find the email about it and post the details.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

hilarious