Author Topic: How Do You Feel about the New Board Structure?  (Read 3810 times)

Jena

• happy bibliophile, and "crazy" cat lady
How Do You Feel about the New Board Structure?
« on: October 03, 2009, 08:01:59 pm »
I've heard quite a few people say they are confused as to where to post topics anymore.  So I was wondering if you all would be willing to give specific feedback, that way we can make the confusion go away.

1. Are you happy with the Melinda-related discussions board?  If not, can you give examples of topics you're having trouble knowing where to post?
2. same question for General Backups Discussion and Events (Do you like all the child boards?  Do they make it easier or more difficult for you to find topics of interest?  If you have trouble knowing where to post in this board, please give examples.)
3. How do you feel about the Special Interests board?  Are there too many child boards?
4. Any other concerns or feedback about anything related to the new board structure?

rhonda

• Founding Backup #488
Re: How Do You Feel about the New Board Structure?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 04:24:46 am »
Since you asked . . . I liked the board the way it was.  Seems kind of "busy" now.  But maybe that's just me.   Dunno

Jena

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 04:41:55 am »
Thanks for your feedback, Rhonda.
The reason we reorganized the board at all is that we had so many boards with thirty and forty pages of topics, and it seemed that a lot of good topics were buried.  We were hoping the new structure would help people to find interesting topics they might have missed, or to find specifically the topics they were interested in.

I don't know that we could return it to the way it was, because we had to change Off Topics to Current Events.  But is there anything we could do that would help you to like the new structure better?

rhonda

• Founding Backup #488
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 05:03:02 am »
No changes that I can think of Jena, but thanks.  And I wasn't suggesting that the board be changed back.   Thumbs Up

Jena

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 05:05:23 am »
We're open to any suggestions to make it easier for everybody to find what they want.  If there's any way we can implement them, we would.

Gemini2

• Founding Backup #510
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 04:01:16 am »
I think there are too many subtopics that get posted on and hide others that may be important. I usually read down the right side column of latest post.

I think the playground area is broken up into too many subtopics. I liked the old way better. I could find things to post on easier.

And I am sorry to have to say this, but I think this site does not seem as friendly any more.

Good luck. I hope you can make it work!

Jena

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 04:57:53 am »
By subtopics, I assume you mean child boards?
That's fairly easy to fix, once we know which ones aren't working for everybody.
Are there others who liked the playground better as it was?
Also, how do you feel about the child boards in General Backups' Discussion?  Are there too many?

There definitely is a different feel to the site these days, and that question is harder to answer.
Anyone else have thoughts on this?

californiafan

• Founding Backup #706
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 05:42:59 am »
I like the Playground better the old way too.

Jena

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 06:14:04 pm »
Let's say this.  Assuming Maria's Ok with it, unless I get any objections, I'll put the playground back the way it was on Thursday.  That gives everybody two days to weigh in on it.  Would you all be Ok with the Backup Banter child board staying, or would you rather see those topics go into the main playground board as well?

Alan

• Founding Backup #372
  • cool, steely master technophile.
    • Chandler's Zen
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 10:51:56 pm »
Would you all be Ok with the Backup Banter child board staying, or would you rather see those topics go into the main playground board as well?

I don't think there is enough traffic to justify the extra board. 

Jena

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 12:43:21 am »
You're right, Alan.  There's not enough anymore.  But i think we originally made it an extra board because there were quite a few topics of that nature, and we thought there'd be more.  I'm still hopeful there will be more.
But if nobody objects then, we'll just make the playground one big board, the way it used to be.

Jena

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 03:43:29 am »
The playground is almost back to the way it was.  I incorporated the word Games and Fantasy Games boards back into the main board.  For now, I'll leave the Backups Banter board, because it has so many topics.

What do you think of General Backups Discussion?
Specifically, would anyone have objections to me putting all the Backups Adventures topics back into the main board?
Do you like Member Milestones, or would you rather see those topics back on the main board as well?

Desiree

• Founding Backup #730 - mdoolittle @Jmoffet Can't believe I'm saying this, but listen to @swain1856
  • Web site Team
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 03:49:47 am »
I like Member Milestones being a separate board.  I don't have any problems with putting the Backups Adventures topics back on the main board.  I have received comments that people miss reviews (no one wrote one for New York) and maybe those Adventure topics being back on the General Backups Discussion board would encourage people to write reviews again.   Dunno
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead